BMC V4C kit motor wheel noise!

Neophyte

10 mW
In late February of this year I took delivery of a BMC V4C kit from Ilia Brouk of [ ebikessf.com ].

The kit is awesome in use at [ 48V and 20A ] but lately a noise has developed.

After testing on different platforms the source of said noise is definitely the motor wheel itself.

The noise is a distinct and loud clicking per wheel rotation. Some amount of occasional squealing also.

Checking the wheel I found a few somewhat loose spokes which I tightened. This reduced the noise but only temporarily.

The noise occurs whether pedalling or not and when the system is both in use and when not in use.

The noise isn't there when testing on a bike stand. Not when hand turning the crank and not when powered. Just the expected rotational whirring sound. All seemingly fine.

The noise isn't there when the bike is simply walked along or run with. There is no noise until the weight of a rider is applied.

Is it possible that heavier gauge spokes would solve the problem? A different rim perhaps? Or is it the way the wheel is laced? The pattern being the problem?

The noise has only developed recently and possibly the wheel should be professionally tensioned and trued.

Current wheel...

Rim: Velocity Cliffhanger [ 26'' ] [ 36 hole ]

Spokes: 13 - 14g [ 2.0 - 2.3 mm ] Phil Wood Stainless Steel

I thought I'd present the situation here on the off-chance that another, or others, has/have experienced something similar and can and will provide some insight.

And a note…

I've sent an email on the subject to Ilia but no reply as of this writing.

Thanks in advance.

Back