BMS-Free, info for the curious on bypassing the BM-mess

Is the pin spacing the same or do you have to replace the male Cellog internal connector?
otherDoc

he says its the same, im still waiting for mine to ship in late this or early next week to confirm, but going by the pics im betting they are, IDE's are a dime a dozen and $$$heap!!! :mrgreen:

This set up was experimental and hoping wasn't going to be bantered about just yet, which i did mention :evil:
as still playing with it, as you know there's issue with clearances, ccc, vd's etc especially in balance lines.
If you look its only doing cellogs and because there's no current draw especially if you do fetchers excellent mod to balance the draw, from the cellogs more evenly, then there's next to no v.d. affecting readings.

Looking at the csa id say it might be good for 1/3 of say a jst ccc, as i can't find any specs, in this regard, on IDE due to it being data specific cable, its guess work, it is 2 single insulated strands per terminal, would bear that in mind if its moved around and not a fixture.

Here's a photo of the IDE & jst.
20120806_172548.jpg

I run a small voltmeter on my handlebars works well for me. Thanks for the recommendation on the small cheap cool looks meter Dogman.
I wish I could find a cell log that displays 12s. I am hesitant to run two cell logs on the handlebars because it is too messy and complex.
I also have some fully managed packs w/ bms. Not bad but they are 3x the cost amphour per amp hour.
Anyone seen a 12s cell log like device?

Yeh that's the issue, Lots of wiring and displays up front.
With 1 IDE cable i was thinking strip 3 cellogs down as prior photo.
Aligned top to bottom on a insulated board in small enclosure with decent guage transparent membrane for viewing/operation.
There's a few pins free on most ide cables too for say a temp sensor or alarm output etc.
That's still the plan unless when you find 12S cellog they have a 24 too :p

There maybe something out there hope you find something 8) Like a scanning multiplexor.
Id like to have cellogs connecting to speedict, i asked Danny if it was possible
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22919&start=435 no plan :cry:
Then cell monitoring is in a software environment sent via blue tooth to a display/phone on the bar,
choose your method of cell monitoring on the phone. Dreaming again that's the future for sure though wireless.

megacycle said:
Then cell monitoring is in a software environment sent via blue tooth to a display/phone on the bar,
choose your method of cell monitoring on the phone. Dreaming again that's the future for sure though wireless.

i would pay at least 100 usd for such a board able to take 21S and shoot min and max cell to my Iphone !

Seconded same here.
Shame Danny's not doing iphone too, yet.
You can get cheap enough android based phones that can do the job.
Everybody i know who has iphone goes :shock: when i pull out the galaxy note and most app free too.
You probably know already there are android based displays available too.

Multiple cell logs is messy, they all have to be on the same mode and you have to look at all the screens...
What about a few of these cheapy cell voltage monitors mounted in a neat row to create a single large display. You would see everything you need to know at one glance.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__23773__2_6S_LED_balance_Voltage_indicator.html
The key would be to run a round cable from the handlebars to the pack instead of multiple flat cables.
It might even be possible to run a tap from each of the "3.5v" red leds to a small relay that in turn kills your throttle or something.

Attachments

• cellmeter-sub.jpg
    cellmeter-sub.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,850
Those are about same size as a cellog board.
Cellogs notoriously accurate if you dont get a rip off
and displays to 3dpi can set it to see a lot of different parameters and alarms etc.
That's pretty but can't see it coming close IMO, reckon you'd be close to 0.2V out b4 you know it.

I have a few cell logs. They are just too complex for handlebar mount device when you have two or three side by side. The little light boards seem more condusive to a handlebar mount screen application.

mr.electric said:
What about a few of these cheapy cell voltage monitors mounted in a neat row to create a single large display. You would see everything you need to know at one glance.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__23773__2_6S_LED_balance_Voltage_indicator.html

Assuming they are anywhere near accurate to their 0.1V resolution, then they would actually be pretty i8deal for realtime pack monitoring, as you can easily see the levels.

The one thing I would change about them is to make them "point" mode instead of "bar" mode, so that *only* the LED that represents the present voltage level is active--it would be less distracting, especially at night (you would require some sort of dimming cover with that many point-source LEDs on at the same time, at night, or it would become blindingly bright).

If they were built around the LM3914/15/17 chip then there would be a pin on the chip for dot/bar mode, but I'm sure they're not

Or a pair of tainted sunglasses with 24s veiwed at load level. So I can look forward and check my cells. Plug and play, I'm plugged in ???

I'm looking to use one of these on the race bike:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-DC-1000v-Blue-LCD-Digital-Volt-Panel-Meter-Voltmeter-/260570958991?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item3cab3d4c8f

Assuming a cycle analyst can't exceed 600 V even with a voltage divider and Vsense set to max.

They also do ammeters, which is cool.

Nice blue Jonesy.

Hey now your talking the big volts, i've got a load of solar dc 1000V premade 1m up to 3m cables with connector ends and other related gear if its any use give away for a good cause.
PM if you want any.

This is what I am currently using
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-Digital-Voltmeter-DC-15V-120V-Red-Led-Voltage-Digital-Panel-Meter-/170846310527?_trksid=p2046732.m2060&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D1223889042800028776%26pid%3D100040%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D4%26
I'm ready to switch to something that reads individual cells.

Reckon cellogs dont look that bad with a membrane.Vac packed.

Might even get the whole battery box done too :lol: half laugh.
All the coloured balance leads neatly run and bricks all lined up
hmm sheet of polycarb nice. See through bike.
2012-08-11 21.51.57.png

Emoto said:
Just thinking, if you want 4 cell-logs/ 24s on the bars and using half the space, what about 2 cell-logs back to back on a rotating display/housing = half the size
As the wheels rotates the displays flip :D.
That would make it tiny, b to b, good option. Lateral thinking love it Moto.
My setup, at moment is 112mm x 60 with them placed top to bottom,
flipping 4 makes 77mm x 60mm.Would be about 18mm thick with a few mm of insulating, support board between.

The led volt meter is same width but stated 22mm high. for 1, so 66mm for 3, dont know if they need clearances can't see underside, could fit 5 x led in space of 3 cellogs, if that's the case, but cellogs does do 8S so you can add a few mm for that, work that one out :wink:
Cellogs needs a little clearance between boards as there as there appears to be tracks right up to the edges,
Ive left about 2mm tween.

I experimented using plastic laminating sheet just to see if it would work, can still just cut them out and do again :roll: :D
I am going to have a look and see if the lcd's lift, might be able to make the displays sit next to each other, if possible, dont think it would make it any smaller just look :p.

Another quick thought, if rotating is hard to implement how about clip in like the car phone holders [ so clip out then rotate clip back in] , im sure you know its always better to use something already close.
And yes stick with the cell-logs, you know its right / back-lit / alarms...........
Edit there is another display for 12s http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40628 but expensive, and how accurate is it ?
At least atm with cell-logs you know what you have i spose

The chargery 12 s and 16s monitor/ alarms seem perfect for a dash mounted display. My main concern is will the module software work well. If it intermittently freezes or turns off it will not serve to reliably save your pack from damage. Definitely worth ordering one of these to see. This would make riding with RC packs easier and more reliable if it could be implemented properly. I could see running the 12v 25ma alarm output to a simple throttle pull down circuit. If this little thing were installed in a good bar mounted enclosure and neatly wired to the pack balance leads with a round multi conductor cable as well as to the throttle it would be perfect.

If you want to flip them Yeh a small phone holder cheap easy fix option.
I think would look good framed in aluminum with a centre pivot.

They still looking at12S and more since mid June last post, manufacturer flexible too :p
Yeh that's was a lot to much coin for another unchecked product.
Yep sticking wit the trusty logs till Danny Speedict comes up with whatever our hearts desire :wink:

Didn't have time today to look at detatching lcds.
Built a 7s A123 instead and nearly KF'd, lost one to tab melt down :cry: .
Live & Learn.

megacycle said:
They still looking at12S and more since mid June last post, manufacturer flexible too :p
Yeh that's was a lot to much coin for another unchecked product.
Yep sticking wit the trusty logs till Danny Speedict comes up with whatever our hearts desire :wink:
Well you guys are motivated
Agreed rotating will be more work but very bond :)
If i remmber right Danny did say they would need to update hardware for cell level monitoring, i dont think well see if for a while but if he managed to do it that would put him in a league of his own afaik, winning.
I dont have a smart phone yet but looking :wink:

I just went on a ride and came very close to over discharging my pack. I checked the cell log just in time. My friend's fully managed pack cut out about 1/4 mile later. We were both running 48v 10 ah packs. I ordered more hobby king cells to go up to 15 ah on this bike. I also ordered some of those light matrix hobby king cell monitors for only $8 each. If those don't work well for me I'll get the chargery 12s or 16s monitor. I like the hobby king cheap monitors because they do not have various modes and buggy software to deal with. The downside is no alarm or alarm output. Maybe I will order a charges unit too so I have everything around the same time.

Back