Bosch Fat packs, Headway, or A123 pack for 36v BMC bike?

Planning a new bike for lightweight hill climbing:

Montague or Dahon Matrix
BMC type 600 watt rear motor
BMC 30 amp controller

Battery????
Please give opinions on which pack is best for ease of use and power. Max speed needed 25 MPH.

Headway from EVCOMPONENTS would come with a BMS and charger.
A123, no charger included.
Bosch Fatpacks, I could do some wiring as long as it is not too complex.......parallel 6 or 8 together and charge with Bosch charger.
Thanks,

NGK

This morning I was dreaming the same bike for the killer steep mtb trails in the local mountains. I was thinking BMC 600, 36v, and wishing the headway packs came in 36v from evcomponents. All fantasy though, don't have the bux for that setup. I was thinking 36v so I could claim I was a legal bike on the trails that are emphatically a no motor vehicles place. I only saw 48v packs on the evcomponents site, but a 48v 10 ah pack sure looks tasty.

I'm waiting to hear about a 36 v Headway. Or I may go 48........just heavier, bigger.

My plan is to get 2- 36v 10aH packs once I test the first.

Now available from evcomponents: 36 v rear rack mount and long format. But the specs are questionable......Their 48 v 10 aH does 60amps. the 36 volt packs have only 4 less cells and they do 30amp max discharge rate. Also the specs are different for the rack mount 10aH and the long mount10aH....

What gives? Any new headway opinions, on 36 volt?

25mi.+ w/2 10ah batteries

nightowlgk said:
Now available from evcomponents: 36 v rear rack mount and long format. But the specs are questionable......Their 48 v 10 aH does 60amps. the 36 volt packs have only 4 less cells and they do 30amp max discharge rate. Also the specs are different for the rack mount 10aH and the long mount10aH....

What gives? Any new headway opinions, on 36 volt?

It's the BMS that limits this - I've spoke to EV Components and they suggest 2 packs in parallel (20Ah to get around this..). The cells inside are the same but solder tab raather than screw on type. To the best of my knowledge these are all the new gen cells. The BMS in mine is limited to 20 amps which is too low so I'm hving to bypass it and use my CA to liit current and provide LVC

This was the reply I got from Travis Gintz
"The BMS is what limits those packs, not the batteries. The batteries are
good for 5-10C continuous. I think because of their enclosure, they want
to guarantee that the cells are not stressed to where they heat up
(which all cells do when discharged over their 1C rating)."

nightowlgk said:
25mi.+ w/2 10ah batteries

2 10ah @ 36v = ~720wh/25mi = ~29wh/mi... totally doable averaging 20-25mph unless you have serious hills in your area. 720wh/80whfatpack = 9 fatpacks (bulky unless you strip them) @ $50/pack = $450. EVcompoments.com Headway 36v10ah X 2 = $550 (plastic case ones). Either will deliver way more amps than you'll ever need obviously. I would think A123s are way overkill for a 36v BMC not to mention even more expensive. If it were strictly a money thing I'd go Bosch and you could also get some cordless tools and use them for those too.

Mondo wrote:
The BMS in mine is limited to 20 amps which is too low so I'm having to bypass it and use my CA to liit current and provide LVC

Please explain. That would be good info to have for anyone with a CA.

Thanks,

NGK

OK Headway 36/ 10 Ah gone, it cut out on start up so the BMS was not set to 40 amps continuous, as ordered. I sent it back for refund, now, 3 Bosch fatpacks just in. Great headroom! Totally fun, fast ride.

Next is range. I will probably get a Ping 36 / 15Ah with custom 40 amps continuous BMS. Ping said he would do it.

Back