Damaged Jumbo Shark - anything to look out for?

saukit

10 mW
Hi all,
I let an acquaintance ride my bike around the cul-de-sac, he hit a curb going pretty fast and the Jumbo Shark battery popped off and skidded along the driveway. From what I can tell the battery just got scratched up, there aren't any cracks and the battery seems to work fine.

I'm concerned thought that there may be some internal damage that could compromise the safety of the battery. This is an EM3EV battery so I can use bluetooth to check the cell balancing in order to make sure that one of the cells didn't get disconnected somehow.

Any thoughts on anything else I should be looking out for? I'd prefer not to take the case off if I don't have to. But I will if there's a chance of this battery being compromised internally due to the shock of hitting the pavement.

Also it took this incident for me to actually pay attention to the locking mechanism on the Jumbo Shark case. It's just a pin that pops out, and it has a bevel on it that compromises the ability of the pin to stay seated under force. I'll be using a strap in the future to provide extra security for the battery under impact.

If you can see the groups are all at a similar voltage, and that continues under load

and balancing is active at the end of your charge cycle

should be fine

Good advice here. This a good reminder to ck the battery locks on these eBikes. I lost the key to mine (bottle battery), and broke the lock open today using a screwdriver inserted into the lock and turned w/ vice grips. I heard something snap, the lock turned, and I can take the battery in and out now. It still works to lock and unlock it w/ a screwdriver, but I noticed that even though the lock's tab is a robust piece of metal, the female piece it locks into on the battery is plastic! Talk about dumb. I'd already put big steel hose clamps around it anyway to keep people from easily walking away w/ the battery, but now I see that with a good jolt the battery could have just popped out on it's own w/o them.

Got to break some things, to find a way to build crash proof bikes. Your are lucky, the bike still works and your friend still walks. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the advice all! I have it on a charger now with the bluetooth BMS up, all the cells were still balanced and also appear to be taking the charge evenly. Nothing rattling and no cracks after a bit more detailed inspection. It hit pretty hard though, one edge probably has close to 1/8 of an inch of material ground off!

I'll continue to keep a close eye on it, but looks like I may have dodged a bullet. And yes, I am grateful that the battery ended up on the ground and not my buddy! He is known for breaking things...

Back