Excelsior/Strong GTS Cromotor Build

Well, some fun stuff today. A little while ago I dropped my pack down to 84V from 100V, fully charged. Reason being some cells on some packs where not balancing and were not holding voltage at a respectable level. So weeded out the bad and made a 84V pack.
I have had these packs since Spring 2013.
I had made earlier during the summer an aluminum battery box, to be able to take on and off the bike, I felt a little better with this box on the bike knowning the batteries were getting old.
When I am done riding I store the pack inside the aluminum box and also in a large ammo case, also the pack stays inside the ammo case when charging.
Rode the shit out of the bike, lots of cycles.
Anyways, today was like any other day. Charge up and go.
2 smoke detectors one inside the ammo case and one outside of it.

Well, they went off and here is the result, happy to stay the ammo case did its job, the aluminum box sort of.
I went out in the garage when I heard the beeping going off, lots of smoke and one BIG pop & flash within the ammo case, then I dragged her out side.

So, I get to decide on new batteries, do I still go with Lipo or something safer? I had previously a 52V liFePO4 A123 cells from Paul at EM3EV running on another bike, but my problem with that pack was that one cell had went bad and I don't have the expertise or tools (tab welder) to change out the bad cell.
Anyway here are some pics

219qhqt.jpg

v46zcm.jpg

10ynyn7.jpg

10dbcwz.jpg

kd1zcw.jpg

I made a mental note of what you did, the ammo case and the smoke detectors did their job.
Funny thing is my frame is holding up well, though I have done little riding on it. I am 330lbs. Not fat, just kinda fat but its spread out in the tallness.
Its always been in the back of my mind about the cracks in the frame others have experienced. I am thinking about building a 2 transformer arc welder, I am just confused on the whole using two outlets on different circuits and finding them 180 degrees out of phase. The panel and vac is on its own circuit so 50A can go in easily. I can just rent a welder at a DIY auto garage, its like $25/hr arc or $35/hr tig. New cheap-brand Jobmate welder $200, Mastercraft $280 with grinder, used old $50+, used newer $150+.
Yeah I am buying used, found one for $80. Im not F'ing around with outlets.

I wish I had welding skills myself would make things a lot easier
That time I got lucky with ammo case.
Last night just dropped another $600 on batteries, going to run 4P @ 84V, was at 3P 100V, but I don't the speed that much when I'm in the forest.

Good luck with your welder.

Back