Giant DH Team, Cromotor, 18fet Lyen, 111v Lipo

The hall sensors all go in the same direction.

When measuring the halls, move the magnet around a little, it only registers in one tiny spot usually.

The other thing to try is with the multimeter, put the positive lead of the multimeter on 5V line, then put the ground on the signal out line. I don't remember if the sensors read high and trigger low or low and trigger high. Give that a shot and report back.

I'm pm'ing you my phone number so I can try and help you over the phone.

Dude you really shouldn't clamp a stator on the coils, you'll scratch off some enamel and cause a short!

So I've gone and replaced all the Phase wires and Hall sensor cables. It was quite late when I finished that last night. I'm going to give the bike a ridey in a little bit. I'll post back any findings.

Dee Jay said:
Dude you really shouldn't clamp a stator on the coils, you'll scratch off some enamel and cause a short!

It's not clamped... it's just resting there by gravity. Shorting out the coils... now that would be a PAIN to fix!

Here goes nothing!

Hubbies use 'latching' hall sensors, the on/off behavior is normal.

-JD

FIXED IT!

So lastnight I replaced all the phase wires and hall sensor wires.

This morning I had some issues with my spacers which got knocked loose while installing the hub that caused some spacing issues. I fixed the spacers and everything seems to be working as it should!

I feel so good now! All this time has not been wasted! Thanks ES!!! Now what will break next? :D

Heheh.. funny you should ask.

I replaced the Phase wires with gauge 10AWG Turnigy silicone wire. It was previously 12AWG stiff low temp wire.

The hall sensor wire... I replaced it with a ethernet cable using 5 of 8 wires.... :twisted:

I ended up having to modify my kiwi dropouts to make room for my upgraded phase wires... but I shouldn't suffer any more cable cuts.

I get to show my dad and my GF's dad my contraption this weekend... I'm happy it's working or else I would have been teased all day long!

binlagin said:
Heheh.. funny you should ask.

I replaced the Phase wires with gauge 10AWG Turnigy silicone wire. It was previously 12AWG stiff low temp wire.

The hall sensor wire... I replaced it with a ethernet cable using 5 of 8 wires.... :twisted:

I ended up having to modify my kiwi dropouts to make room for my upgraded phase wires... but I shouldn't suffer any more cable cuts.

I get to show my dad and my GF's dad my contraption this weekend... I'm happy it's working or else I would have been teased all day long!

If im not mistaken the stock phase wire is 11awg teflon, but if you have enough space for 10awg with the thick silicone cover thats a plus. You should use the same kind of wire for sensors, I don't mean to let you down, but you ll have a sensor short "again" very soon if you really did use ethernet cable wires.

So far I've commuted all week long... the bike seems to be very happy for the most part. I'm running at 50A to the battery and 120A to the phases... I love the power! Being able to wheelie at 40km/h is awesome, but also kinda scary!

My GF's dad pointed out this weekend that my suspension in the rear looks shot, it has no dampening effect at all. I made a post in the technical forum but really didn't get to much advice as to what rear suspensions has been proven on our powerful ebikes.

Last night I was out trying to get a feel for the grip levels I'm able to achieve and I captured some of the bouncing I'm experiencing when hitting a bump or sliding the rear.

[youtube]XKSiY-hGeW0[/youtube]

Some of the suggestions where to use a 50$ heavy coiled shock... does anyone have experience with these? Or should I look for a more expensive shock?

put some air in that tire! what psi it at, anyway?

what shock do you have? my swinger spv stock shock sagged a lot and, well i didn't like it. it has a bunch of adjustmentstho.

i decided to get a new used one, a fox dhx 4.0 w/ a 500lb coil and i'm very happy with it.

Shock looks like it needs to have the rebound tightened up which would control the rear wheel better, right now it looks like a pogo stick with no dampening. Does your rear shock have any dampening adjustments, compression or rebound? What shock is it?

It could also be your spring preload set wrong. Typically you want about 25-33% of the shock travel to be use up when sitting static in your riding position. You'll probably need help from a friend to steady your bike while you get into riding position and check the shock sag.

1. start with preload adjustment first, go for a ride
2. if rebound is adjustable, start tightening it up as that rear wheel looks completely undampened, go for a ride
3. if compressions is adjustable, set it to the middle and start adjusting it either looser or firmer until it rides the way you like

Shocks with lots of adjust ability give you lots of options and ability to tune the suspension to how you like, but they are easy to configure wrong. I'm no expert, but I have solved several issues with cars and bikes through some trial/error + research.

My tire is at about 45 PSI... I could probably put another 20 PSI in there and it'd be all good. I am running hookworms currently.

I will have to look at the suspension when I get home. There is a dial on it.. but I'm not sure if that effects dampening or rebound. I've done some minor adjustments on my motorcycle suspension last year once I began to race... even minor changes had HUGE differences, that is why I gotta figure out what is wrong with the suspension on my ebike!

I'm pretty sure the shock is leaking oil... I don't know if having it overhauled is worth it... or if I should just buy a new one. I will post some more details on the shock when I get home.

I also plan on installing Method's throttle retarder tonight... so THIS retard doesn't run his batteries into low voltages again ;)

binlagin said:
My tire is at about 45 PSI... I could probably put another 20 PSI in there and it'd be all good. I am running hookworms currently.

I run hookworms at their rated 65 PSI - and sometimes much higher. 8) 45 is way too low.

-JD

+1 I run at 65psi on all of my hookworms. 8)

So I've done some searching for a new shock and got some good/bad news.

The Giant Team/Comp DH bikes have very small areas for the rear shock and it's reservoir. There is very LIMITED selection of rear shocks that are supported. Because the bike is so old.. it's hard to find these shocks.

I've sent emails around to the various shock manufactures and only Avalanch has told me they build a shock that will fit. The reservoir is mounted on the frame of the bike. From what I've read, these socks are very high end and that is why they cost so much. I was quoted $648 plus shipping with a 10day build time

I also asked if I could have a longer cable to the reservoir so I could mount it like the image.

Hmmm 700$ is quite steep, especially considering I paid 500$ for the bike. I wonder if such an expensive shock would be worth it.

Attachments

• shock.jpg
    shock.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 4,920
$700 for a shock? I'd pass on that for sure. What's so different about your bike you can't find a reasonable replacement? Is there something wrong with the shock you have?

i got a used fox dhx 4.0 w/ 500lb coil for $90 off ebay. here are others, same size that fit.

call foxtho and ask them what fits. they know.

the fox shock i got off ebay need different bushings, and i told them the measurements and they sent them out. very low tech operation it seemed, but worked great.

Just get a custom made shock from yasusu, I dont think you ll expend over a hundred bucks.

gensem said:
Just get a custom made shock from yasusu, I dont think you ll expend over a hundred bucks.

I'll second this, I think the one cheap shock I have is made by Yasusu and for the $45 I spent it has a great range of adjustment on the rebound. The more expensive models have remote reservoirs and adjustable compression and rebound.

Dude, just get your current shock serviced. These were world cup winning frames & shocks. Chances are it just needs some TLC, and proper setting up.

My manitou 6 way swinger worked great with a new 450lb shock, and the right settings. If you want a firmer ride, add air. You can change high and low speed compression - your shock looks like they are fully backed off.

Bike Update - Newbies first bike, to much power!

So in the quest for more power, I bought a 36-fet greentime controller(100a). I kept blowing my 18-fet and I didn't want the controller to be the weakest link in my setup. Well unfortunately after I installed the MASSIVE controller... I found the next weakest link in my build:

brokenaxel.jpg

Axle failure, Sorry for the HUGE image (right click - view image in new tab).

I had taken my bike out on a few test runs and was on my 3rd commute into work with the new controller. I grabbed a wrist full of throttle from a dead stop and put all my weight on the front wheel to keep it from flipping me off. Then all of a sudden I lost power and came to a stop. I figured I killed another controller because this was the exact same spot as where all my other controllers have failed. But upon further investigation, the broke axle actually shorted out my phase wires and blew the controller.

For everyones information, this motor was NOT from the Zombiess shipment and I had made some modifications to the axle for upgraded phase wires (i'm a noob, this was stupid).

This is the areas that I modified. I believe the metal i shaved down from the yellow areas had no effect on the failure but I did some light filing in the wire channel (in red). I believe this is the reason my axle failed. I didn't really feel like i removed much material in the wire channel... but when the axle isn't very big to start with... removing any is detrimental to it's life.

brokenaxlemods.jpg

So now after this expensive lesson... I'm wondering where I should go next.

New Axle built by a local machinist?
- I have no idea how much this will cost. I dont' know where I can source an original Axle... Zombiess doesn't have any.

New Cromotor in 16/24 inch rims?

Mod a crystalyte HS and live with a 18fet controller and low settings?

I'm open to suggestions, because right now... I'm feeling pretty defeated!

Once you know the power you ll never come back!

get another cromotor in a 16-17" moped rim from zombies
get a 24fet hacked controller from methods
and you are set.

gensem said:
get another cromotor in a 16-17" moped rim from zombies
get a 24fet hacked controller from methods

I like your thinking! But my wallet doesn't! :p

Back