GT i-drive 2.0 Build

They sure don't waste paint on lane markers, do they? :lol: I wasn't even sure there *were* separate lanes on the road for a minute or two.

Not responsible, not courteous and downright dangerous riding that is! Still you can ride and a great video you made. I was once invincible myself but then the kids came and I became very mortal. Think I will send the vid to my kids and tell them it's me. ;^) I hope that you don't ride like that all the time wish all our politicians would though. ;^) Thanks for the vid.

Kinda reminds me of me....except it's all backwards and the only cars I recognise are subarus..and it looks cold. Your bike is faster!

I took a stop sign like that the other day...right in front of a cop car. They didn't care :twisted:

I completely forgot what I was going to say about the switch! I can see now why you say the commute is the best part of your day! How hot does that 9C get at the end of the ride? Is your pack pretty much depleted by the time you get there? You had already towed the kids to daycare before the video started and that has to take some of the pack.

WOW! Awesome ride! Did you drive the same way when you were on the hardtail with the front motor? I am not seeing much need for regen. What were there 5 or 6 stops?

Back to the switch! With the 18fet controller I was finding a lot of inrush current with my master switch (it is only supposed to provide power to the controller logic) so much so it fried the first switch I used. I could hear sparking inside the switch when it was turned on. I used the resistor calculator and it suggested a 500 ohm 5 watt resistor. I used two 2 watt 1k ohm resistors in parallel and it seems to work fine. I use a SPDT switch to initially close the controller logic circuit in series with my 500 ohm resistor and then after a pause switch to the other pole to go direct from B+ to the controller logic. I will eventually rig up another series resistor to use for making the battery connections if I commute with the bike. I just managed with the Andersons like Mark said with my previous LiFePO pack. Going to 24s and the 18 fet controller gives a plasma discharge when I connect the battery to the bike that is too hard on the connectors. After watching your video and seeing the performance I think it is too much for the bike trail. For my commute at 5:45am I will have to upgrade my lighting to go 35mph. Hitting a deer would really hurt! Got to try it out for sure. Might be a little longer if we get snow tomorrow?

Maybe we can look at the controllers this weekend? Was that ride on the new controller with the new regen settings?

Dave

What a nice build! Looks like you ride the snot out of that. Keep an eye on the upper shock bolts (frame). I had two of those frames and it was a frequent breakage point.

Thanks for sharing the vid, much enjoyed!

Thanks for your comments! And in case you were wondering, I'm NOT in politics...

Regarding SAFETY:
- Yes, I was taking more risks than 'normal'; I don't always go through traffic that fast.
- The fisheye lens distorts the view of the distance; I can see much more, and further
- I know the road by heart!
- I cut my handlebars down 30mm each side to make it easier to go between cars
- Now you can see how excited I was to get full suspension; w/o it on those roads w/ my comfort bike was getting dangerous
- Full-face helmet in case of the worst

Oh, and since the baby arrived, grandma's been in town and taking the kids to school. In a couple weeks, I'll be towing the kids again in the trailer for the first mile of the commute.

There were a couple other things to mention but I forgot.

GCinDC said:
[youtube]5WA4D3U_EvE[/youtube]

WOW! Great commute video! That looks like it's likely the fastest option for travel in your city. :) Great job building your fast bike!

GCinDC said:
Regarding Safety, cnt'd:
- I assume I'm invisible to others
- I assume they will TRY to hit me, so I'm ready
- I am frequently standing on bike, for better visibility
- I pray

I ride with the same exact thoughts for safety as you do and think we all should. Likely, I stand on the bike a bit less than you though. I have not trimmed my handlebars down although the urge to do so has been great for quite some time now. Not only that but I put a mirror on the bar end so they are wider than stock now. Expect it is only a matter of time before I lop off a couple inches off them as you did.

Nice bike. Very fast.

Heh nice. So what's it like being colourbind to the colour red ? :lol:
You're braver than I lane splitting like that. I overtake cars on the gutter side when stopped at lights or in heavy traffic but our lanes must be narrower here because most of the time there isnt enough room to get through without collecting mirrors. I guess thats where the shortened handlebars come in.

I love this build. I picked up an 06 IDXC-4.0 for cheap because it was an XL frame and you need to be 6 foot 1 and up to ride it heh. Even then I had to change out the neck because my tall lanky 6 foot 5 friend was practicly laying on the frame. My build is much much simpler though. I literaly used some flat stock to make my own torq arm and am now making a new one to support the disc bracket. I will post pics on the forum this week. Its basicly a cheaper and much simpler project at 48v/1000w. I already have over 2k miles on it.

On the same note I find the GT ID line to be a fantastic bike for hub motor builds. The full suspension, sturdy frame and lovely air ride at great. Even the front shock on my 4.0 is superb. I zip threw NYC every day on it, kill stairs, long trails, airtime and tons of commutes. Research the ID tech though. These bikes are a no go for any chain drive kits because of the way GT illiminates pedal feedback.

I LOVE this video thing...

We got ~6" of snow on Saturday, and I was excited to show off the performance of my snow tires. I 'upgraded' the camera mount and tore around the nearby park:
2010-01-31.jpg
I shoulda tested it first -- I got back watched the vid: All I could see was my body on the bike. Doh! The camera was pointed too low.

Anyway, stay tuned for more...

In other news, the new headset I ordered ($70) arrived...

The old one, w/ bearings was trashed. Way too much play, whenever I braked. One day after 'rebuild' it was as bad as before. And I'd been warned that such play could make the headtube oblong.

And since others mentioned their concerns about this frame, :shock: I thought it made sense to solve this. (And thankfully, it hadn't been damaged... phew)
headset.jpg

Also eliminated the nasty spark I was getting when attaching pack to new (awesome) controller...

Mike was hugely helpful.

I soldered a resistor (under tape) inline on a + loop, and by the time I plug in main + discharge connector, the capacitors have been charged?, and there's no spark.
file.php

Finally, I started work on a new case for the battery pack using carbon fiber.... just kidding ... 22 gauge weldable sheet metal!
2010-02-01 07.27.52_Washington_District of Columbia_US.jpg
I would have prefered to use my aluminium sign, but I don't have a spare 1/16" around this pack!

I've got mixed feelings about it, and I know if I see one sign of rust, I'm going to hate it. I have a feeling I'd prefer it in fiber glass.

Anyway, having lost my patience, I'm now designing it by feel... and tinsnips. darn it, i knew i'd regret that cut...

My big success here is just getting the thing fit in the triangle.

Think it'll be dangerous if I weld it w/ the lipos in place? :lol:

Next step:
- cut & shape top piece
- figure out how to mold area for powerpole/db25 connectors
- design front loop for locking/carrying?
- figure out if have the pack open w/ hinged top half or slide in and out one side (and cut off existing tabs)
- weld on some tabs around outside of case to brace it against one side of frame (w/ velcro straps to hold)

i'm not sure about having nothing else to do, personally i love these rides, good job GC, keep em coming please, oh and i like the ride on the waters edge, ballsy, lol

D

Great videos!!!!!!! But man.... Be carefull out there!!!!! I know you probably can judge and see way better then what we see through the camera, but wow!

Maybe you can figure out how to put bigger brakes on.

Back