• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Hill climbing

winterbear

1 µW
Hello All,

Can I please get some advice about which e-motor is best for climbing mountains. I want to mount the motor onto a fat bike with a rear drop out of either 170mm or 190mm. I am 200lbs and would be riding with a pack adding an additional 25lbs. I want the converted e-bike to climb my local logging and fire roads with grades in excess of 20%. The motor then must withstand the riggers of the single track downhill. Am I asking to much??

Thanks for the Help. Winterbear

Welcome to the forum. I'm a fat biker my self, and built my bike to climb Pike's Peak. And the best advice I can give is don't go for a hub motor. it's just insanely expensive, as it would need to be custom made.

Look up gridlok. he's got some experience fitting BBS02 mid drives to Fat bikes. A through the gears type drive would make a better hill climber unless you want to throw huge wads of cash at your project.

If you really want a hub motor, take a look at my build thread linked in my signature. My bike will fly up 30% grades, but it was a massive project.

Though the wide adaptation to the mid drive is very expensive, it's still cheaper than heaving a huge hubmotor, and the huge battery that goes with it at the problem.

It's exponentially expensive, bigger motor, more battery cost.

But the high power motor approach is fun, if your wallet can stand the battery spending. The big motor approach seems to me to work best when the ride will be relatively short, allowing the battery to be 750 wh or less. 6-8 miles round trip kind of riding.

If the really steep bits are very short, and the rest of it 10-15% grades, then you can do lots of off road riding with fairly ordinary hubmotors. Slow rpm dd or geared motors, or 1000w power. Or regular speed motors with 20" wheels. You pedal your guts out, or even dismount the short, wicked bits.

In my area, those logging roads are just all too steep, and melt my less expensive hubmotors. The less steep roads go fine, those that are now paved, or graded gravel. But not the unmaintained side roads up the canyons. Those are killers.

Thanks for your comments guys. Really don't know what to do. Mid drives make me nervous, because of its location on the bike and its use of the bikes gears and chain.
Can you guys recommend a good hub motor?

This is a fatbike motor with high torque:

http://www.szbaf.com/en/components/component/motor/rm-g06350d.html

You can buy it from Amy at GE battery: amy@gebattery.co

winterbear said:
Thanks for your comments guys. Really don't know what to do. Mid drives make me nervous, because of its location on the bike and its use of the bikes gears and chain.
Can you guys recommend a good hub motor?

Probably can, but first we'll need to know more about how steep these mountains are, and what kind of terrain you'll be running in, what kinds of speeds you look to attain, and what kind of range you'll need.

I ride a fatbike with a geared hub motor 48v.I'm almost never on the road with it, only off road and it works for me.
Sometimes I need to help up the steep hills, but I never get tired
I Use it in the snow, it's like everything is a road. Fatbike is awesome with motor :D

Why do you want a fat bike with hill climbing? I would go with a lighter full suspension bike and mid drive. You can take advantage of gears.

Back