Improved Weatherproofing Idea

I've been using Fluid Film primarily for the last couple of years. Its thicker and stays in the motor longer than the ACF-50 which leaks out the axle if the bike is tipped.

Also, as a side note, it seems that the Cute 100 motors are sealed up better than my Bafang SWXH motors which leak the fluid film out the axles more if you put a lot in. I don't think the Cute 100s have leaked at all yet.

I might yet try the Formula 3000 which may be even more gel like and stay in even better. However, the Fluid Film has been working fine, is wax based, has no solvents, will not was off with water, and is easy to clean off with a mild solvent if you do want to open up a motor and work on it, so why change from it if it works. The only other test I can not give extensive feedback on is prolonged below zero Celsius use. That's when you can get the problem of the motor heating up when in use, but then when it cools down, you can get condensation water being sucked into the motor. I suspect it will be fine though. I've had a few below zero rides so far, but just not like a week of below zero use to comment on. Maybe some else can comment here if they have some info on this?

Also, Justin from ebikes.ca pointed out this other interesting product that they use on motors with drilled sides for better cooling. The idea is that you coat the motors insides and it gives it a wax type protective coating, so if water splashes in it just runs off the wax and does not hurt the motors internals. See

http://ebikes.ca

And scroll down and look for Boeshield T9. If I had a direct drive motor I would drill the sides and use this.

I believe the Fluid Film is a better option for a geared hub motor. Its best to not drill holes in it. Road grit could wreak the gears.

Back