Lipo Distance

ian.mich

10 kW
Hi I'm getting my first LiPo pack tomorrow or monday and I was wondering about the distance I'd get. I realize this varies wildly on conditions, speed, pedalling and terrain but i'll just tell you my specs. I have a 48v 1000w China hub motor with a 30 amp shunt mod strung in a 700c wheel and i'll have a 12s4p (44.4v 20ah) pack.

Be sure to derate your pack capacity when you enter it into the simulator. You shouldn't want to run more than an 80% depth of discharge, so for your 20Ah pack you'd want to enter no more than 16Ah into the simulator. That'll make its range calculations more reasonable.

1 mile = .75 ah is my rule of thumb for 48v. That rule includes some reserve, but not a real big one. Maybe if you want to be fairly conservative, call it .85 ah. You are only 44v. 23 miles range, at about 20-25 mph. About 20 miles if your ride faster.

A discharge all the way to 3.5v should get you at least 25 miles, maybe even 27.

There will be days you may ride into really stiff winds, so I wouldn't consider this size very suitable for a ride much more than 20 miles commuting. If you have really stiff headwinds, you would still always make 20 miles if you just slowed down to 15 on the nasty days.

What are you looking for? This would work for a 20 mile roundtrip, just ride it enough to figure out what your max speed can be to make it.

32km was probably about the range I was expecting, I pedal alot when accelerating so I think I'd get a decent 40 if i tried. My bike went around 20km when gunning it with a cheapo 48v 12ah lifepo. I only installed my speedometer recently and haven't been able to ride as I sold my lifepo, so not sure on speed but it goes a solid 50kph i assume, and probably wouldnt want to go too much faster b/c it's a road bike.

I have 14s22ah on 700c bmc v3 on various terrain averaging 27mph meaning I usually go 35mph top speed without peddling. I get around 20miles (17. 5ah) before needing to recharge. Keep in mind I charge to 4.1 and discharge to 3.6. I also have CA limit the current to 30A. So if you go 25mph, I suspect you will get around 20miles since you are only 12s.

Your distance depends so much on the type of riding you do, the terrain (hills, etc.) and the motor you use. It can vary wildly. I just returned from a 14 mile pleasure ride, mainly level ground, city traffic. With my 8AH 44v Lipo batteries, I used 3AH. That is with a 350W geared (E-bikekit) hub. My wife rode her bike which has a 500w DD hub, same battery, and used 4.5AH. The geared are more efficient of course, so I am able to travel further using less battery. Also the geared hub makes pedalling much easier,
due to reduced resistance. So your mileage will vary depending on all of these factors.

The stuff you learn doing 30 miles a day for a few years. There's summer range, winter range, and spring wind range when depending on your direction of travel, could be doulble or half.

The rule of thumb evolved out of an average of all seasons. The rule of thumb is still in AH, because at that time I didn't even have a CA. :roll: But niether to noobs, so it still works.

25-35 wh/mi is not a bad number for most commuting at similar speeds.

Like keyser said, use the ebikes.ca simulator.

Find out what speed that motor runs at on 48v, and find out whatever motor goes as fast as that on the same voltage.
( probably one of the nine continent motors would be comparable, but i am just guessing )

Then you will have a good idea of your distance.

On 48v, i could go twice as far on my magic pie than my MAC motor on 10AH.. why? the MAC motor will go 32mph, the magic pie will go 18mph on the same voltage. The MAC motor will of course chew up the amps quicker due to the higher speed.

Back