M40

BarkMau

10 W
The foundation of my first build is a 10 yo, 15" frame, entry level mtnbike. The first thing was to beef up the front end. "Big balls" BMX headset and double crown forks get the ball rolling.View attachment 7

Unboxing the kit received from ebikes.ca

Attachments

• Xlyte.jpg
    Xlyte.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,946
  • control.jpg
    control.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,946
  • CA.jpg
    CA.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,946
  • Throtle.jpg
    Throtle.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,946
  • 203mm disc brake.jpg
    203mm disc brake.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,946
  • 11 tooth freewheel.jpg
    11 tooth freewheel.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,946
Thanks Tom, it's been fun!
The original project was to do it on a fat tire frame but limited resources forced me to prioritize. Now I'm thinking, once the system is tried and true and the bank account recovered I'll pass everything onto a fat frame. 8)

Attachments

• sandman.jpg
    sandman.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,841
Excellent, well done, I suspect you will be itching to get stuck into a fat bike, I'd love to do one of those fat bike stop but very tempted to do a trike.

Sent using Endless-Sphere Mobile app

now THAT is a trail beast! crazy looking but I bet its quite functional! Electrify that baby and you would have something, but make sure its a MID drive!!

I see you are an advocate of mid drives, saw some good looking bikes in your site. For practicality, had to begin with a DD hub. I see myself exploring mid drive territory in the future.
Good vibes!
H

I may not like the looks of that bmx bar, but the upright riding position it provides is comfortable. Besides, it houses the controller very well and it looks like a great deal of the wiring will be able to be tucked in there.

Attachments

• controlCA.jpg
    controlCA.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,642
Six months and over 1000 miles have flown by and a posting is due. I put together a 12s LifePO4 pack, using an agniusm kit, a trailer plug (Walmart) and a messenger bag (Target) the bike works so great I didn’t even bother to hook up extra juice. Neither did I hook up the BMS I got from Ohzee; my commute is under 13 miles which doesn’t drain the battery much. All the cells stay balanced.batpak.jpg
I decided to mount the pack onto the fork. Double crown forks make this task fairly easy. I fabricated an aluminum tray and bolted it to the forks to support the battery, a bungee spider net holds it in place. This was supposed to be temporary, but so far couldn’t come up with anything better. I think it is the best option given the format of the cells and the size of my frame. (Not too compatible there)tray.jpg
Things that I am definitely happy with are:
- The 24” rear wheel drive. I have another ebike which is 26” front wheel drive and the difference is day and night; traction, torque, and even top speed.
- The 11 tooth freewheel coupled with a 52 chainring up front. The bike cruises at around 27 and tops at 30mph on flat terrain. Good bicycle speed and can be pedaled. Furthermore, the road crank has bolt-on rings which makes easy the upgrade to larger rings to be able to pedal when the power gets increased (looking forward to run at 24s).
- DrBass’ torque arms. Compact and solid pieces that could have been tighter at the axel but I think are serving their purpose. I did not want to make a permanent mounting (gluing, welding) and so I came up with 2 different approaches. On the drive side, I tapped an allen bolt into the T-A in such a way that the head of the bolt (facing inwards) fits (snug) in a structural hole of the frame. I cut the end of the bolt flush on the outside. On the left side, I made a bracket that got fixed using the same bolts and rear caliper mounts. The T-A is bolted thru the bracket making a very solid assembly.

Back