Moonshine's Vector/MXUS/MaxE Build

About the side covers, did you see the thread about cooling with heat sinks and heat pipes? If you look into that you might just get away without opening your motor up to dirt, mud and water.

Your bike is bad ass and looks even meaner on the trailer, like you are ready to go hit the big air.

macribs said:
About the side covers, did you see the thread about cooling with heat sinks and heat pipes? If you look into that you might just get away without opening your motor up to dirt, mud and water.

Your bike is bad ass and looks even meaner on the trailer, like you are ready to go hit the big air.

Thanks!

I think I saw something about the heat sinks and pipes, but I can't seem to find the thread! Do you have a link?

The trailer is a just a generic dirtbike hitch carrier/trailer. Its a 5' ish long aluminum C-channel with a steel post/hitch. So you put your bike on it with the front wheel against the chock and strap the front end down (compressing the front fork) and strap the swingarm down. Super sturdy. It's literally meant for 250lb + bikes. So my ebike will be just fine.

Here is a quick recap of threads what might be a well functioning high heat removal solution without opening covers for dirt and water you can try a combination of an impeller mounted on the outside that channels air at high speed over the motor out surface. The impeller will work even better if the outside covers have small heat sinks attached. If possible due to real estate inside motor you could also attach heat sinks on the inside, drill small holes in cover to let heat pipes thru and connect the heat pipes to the outside heat sinks as well. Then you suddenly have a closed loop liquid cooling system. Where liquid inside heat pipes evaporates and moves heat from inside of motor, get cooled down by cool air blowing on the outside heat sinks and the now cool liquid returns to inside heat sink. And so it goes. If all this should prove insufficient you could always add small computer fans to the inside too.

Varies discussions about cooling a hubmotor.

Heat sinks:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68229

Impeller fan cooling:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=68373

Oil cooling hubmotor:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37972

Small computer fans cools inside of hubmotor:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=56965&hilit=computer+fans

4moto/Linus Liquid Cooling for Mx 3000 motor:
https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65954&p=993355

Liquid Cooling by Doctorbass:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=26587

Macribs,

Thanks for the consolidated info! PM'd Linukas and asked for a fully loaded/cooled MXUS 4T since I don't really have the proper tools/patience to replace the axle only. I think tweaking the Adaptto settings have a lot to do with the heat. The MXUS 4T I have currently has upgraded phases which probably is allowing me to pump 12kw into it.

IIRC Linukas was even making a custom radiator for his liquid cooling kit. I am sure you will not have any problems with heat after you get water cooling. And should it turn out to be a problem you could always add a larger reservoir.

Let us know how it goes.

Will do!

When for a nice bike ride with the wife and theo!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435643209.186663.jpg

Gonna electrify the shit outta that bike. MAC 8T on its way!

moonshine said:
Will do!

How many lipo's can you fit in Theo's backpack?...also what controller is he running? looks to be fur based.

Just to be clear, Linus was liquid cooling the old V1 Mxus. Thicker lams generating heat and steel stator unable to absorb and shed the heat.
I'm wary because when people post suggestions that might be useful, I start getting customers asking me to mod my Mxus stock for them for applications which just aren't needed. Better bearings, enormous phase wires, flux capacitors, banana intake modules.

No problem you linking ideas macribs, just cautioning anyone reading this that it's probably over the top for the majority of noobs reading this...

Awesome build moonshine.

I'm going to second Sam's recommendations.

The reality is that a stock 3000W MXUS "V2" motor will exceed most people's expectations for power and speed. Run a stock one a bit before you decide you need more out of it.

Also keep in mind that the MXUS 3000W motor is a "middle-of-the-road" motor. If you want "THE BEST" Get a Cromotor or a QS Motor. What the MXUS has going for it is Price and good power to weight ratio. - It's the "Goldilocks" motor :)

Sean9002 said:
moonshine said:
Will do!

How many lipo's can you fit in Theo's backpack?...also what controller is he running? looks to be fur based.

Hahahahahahaha! Absolutely hilarious!

Sam and Tesla,

I wholeheartedly agree! I asked linukas how much it would be for him to do all the mods and send me a motor all finished cause I just don't want to do all that stuff myself.

I have found that this build has been the cleanest and most complete out of all my previous builds. It's weird...once you have a bike that's running reliably well-you find yourself LOOKING for new mods or upgrades.

My mxus is amazing! I can hit 60 without any problems. So my new "issues" are how to sustain 60mph without overheating, which is just an outrageous "issue". For its price and its weight the mxus can't be beaten! I had a cromo before and it was amazing but also quite heavy. If I want more power I'll upgrade later. But until then...I'm keeping the mxus just the way it is.

Ok...back to legitimate issues:
-kickstand. Gotta make or buy one.
-side covers need to be stiff aluminum as they keep bending around the headset area
-turbos anyone?
-gotta find a way to incorporate a flux capacitor for time travel

Actually. Priority #1. Finish my wife's ebike.

Step 1: get bike

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435717405.678166.jpg

Nailed it.

Your bike looks mean and angry moonshine, kind of regretting ordering the white frame when I see your black.
What rear wheel/tire combo are you running?

moonshine said:
Actually. Priority #1. Finish my wife's ebike.

Step 1: get bike

Nailed it.

step#2 lipo in that front basket!

Step#3 in with the mac and the mini-e

step#4 attach the dog trailer :D

macribs said:
Your bike looks mean and angry moonshine, kind of regretting ordering the white frame when I see your black.
What rear wheel/tire combo are you running?

Thanks! Black is pretty slick looking....also people don't really know what they're looking at when they see it.

19x1.60 prowheel and Shinko 241. Front is a mavic 729 with kenda nevegel tires.

I'm also going to build a vector, and saw the chainline problem.
So you use a multi speed freewheel and a chain tensioner, how do you secure the chain so it doesn't change gear itself?

BTW very nice build 8)

DrKraut said:
I'm also going to build a vector, and saw the chainline problem.
So you use a multi speed freewheel and a chain tensioner, how do you secure the chain so it doesn't change gear itself?

BTW very nice build 8)

My chain tensioner does all the work. It secures the chain completely! It's basically the same thing as a derailleur just doesn't shift.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437492383.118843.jpg

Got the wife's bike up and running!

Haha never! She hates going fast :(

Changed the lyen 9fet to an em3ev 9fet. A lot smoother!

ridethelightning said:
sweet rides!

how does she like the bike?

what kind of distances do you go?

Thanks! She loves her bike! I feel bad though when I go on bumpy roads. Thinking of getting her a thudbuster.

We go on at least 20-25 mile trips. She pedals more than I would like...and therefore is 90% electric on the return ride. We typically ride through DC and hit some of the long paved trails on really nice days.

Back