My Ebike Android App (supports Cycle Analyst)

Again if you are interested in beta testing please PM me and Ill respond with a full outline of what is required to use the app.

Will this one work?

All of the HC05 modules I have seen are 3.3V TTL where we need 5V TTL for the CA. However this one appears to be mounted on an additional board that looks like it has level shifters on the underside. Amazon won't ship it to me here in Australia but I have found the same one on ebay now and will try to find out for sure. Stay tuned.

Where are you guys at with this? My bike will be done in about 6 weeks and would like to include this in the build.

Full GPS support is now done with kml file export to Google Earth. Just waiting for some finer weather to test it fully before I post a new beta.

Sigmacom did you adjust the scaling settings we discussed ? Ie absolute max power being no greater than max V x A ? (maybe even a formula of V-2xA to allow for 2v of sag)
It'd be nice to have a true 'wattage redline' with a needle that just clips the max wattage hot off the charge.

Actually - looking at this today -it's not as easy as first thought.

The problem with ending the gauge at whatever number the max power works out to be means that you end up with divisional numbers on the gauge that are strange looking eg if your max power is 4700W then 5 division on the gauge makes each division 940W. What I need to do is round of the max power reading of the gauge at a multiple of 500W - the multiple of 500 above the max calculated power. Then in the majority of cases the gauge can have divisions at 250, 500 or 1000W.

Sigmacom said:
Actually - looking at this today -it's not as easy as first thought.

The problem with ending the gauge at whatever number the max power works out to be means that you end up with divisional numbers on the gauge that are strange looking eg if your max power is 4700W then 5 division on the gauge makes each division 940W. What I need to do is round of the max power reading of the gauge at a multiple of 500W - the multiple of 500 above the max calculated power. Then in the majority of cases the gauge can have divisions at 250, 500 or 1000W.

I am not sure what langauge you use but essentially

x as an integer with 0 decimals,
y as an integer for value the user put in as max watts
z as an integer for the max on your gauge
x = (y+500)/500
z = 500 * x

also, using + 500 assumes that it is concenating, not rounding. If the software rounds (properly) when it has no decimals, you could also just have x = (y+249)/500 to have an assured round up without going 500 higher for someone who sets a round value like 4500w to start with; if you want to change your scale, just adjust the value (so for conc. use n, where n is your scale interval, for rounding, use ((n/2)-1).

Hi Mark,

I am Chris Corbier from Holland and with Justin (grin tech.) I have developed a battery monitoring system based on the Cycla Analyst, stripping most of the bike-related software and adding some extra features.
The CA Marine version is used maily in sailing boats and campers, I have sold about 100 of these units by now and I am looking for nice new features, esp.wireless monitoring of batteries, because it will bring in new applications for the CA Marine.

Justin pointed me in your way, Into this forum. So now you know why and how :) I am very interested in your CA app, it looks great, and my non-educated guess is: it might not take much to adapt the app to make it "a wireless battery-monitoring" system ?

At this moment I have no ideae about feasabillity of this combined with a CA Marine unit, but I am dreaming of a wireless application to monitor batteries, especially long distance by Mobile Network (cellphone)

I'd love to sell it as an extra, to go with a CA Marine and besides that I do have an inquiry by a manufacturer of long distance camera surveilance systems that needs to monitor their gear (running on battery + solar power)

Anyway: I'd appreciate your thoughts about this very much !

regards,

Chris Corbier
Netherlands

Finally got around to finishing the next beta version of the app. Beta testers should receive the usual notification through Google Play that there is an updated version 1.1 to download.

This version fully enables GPS tracking and logging. There is a preference setting now that can set the GPS to start automatically when the app starts if you prefer this, or you can start and stop it from the menu within the app at any time (as long as you are not currently logging). If the GPS is enabled when you start logging, latitude/longitude and elevation information from your device's GPS is added to the log file. When you stop logging, a Google Earth kml file is generated in the same location as the log file with the same name (your default download folder).

This kml file is a track file, which you can transfer to a PC/Mac and open in Google Earth. It will show an animated path of your ride, and by right-clicking the path and choosing "Show Elevation Profile" you can get a graph for not just the usual Elevation and Speed info from Google, but also all of the CA parameters! Here's an example I rode this morning:

demo_full.jpg

You can see any 2 of the trip parameters displayed in the chart at a time by clicking on the heading tabs. You can scrub through the trip using the cursor or the track icon and see the instantaneous values at any point. You can select any part of the trip to see the min/max/average values for that section. The "Speed" tab is the GPS/Google generated speed (and occasionally gets it wrong as above), whereas there is a separate "CA Speed" tab that is the speed logged from the CA. You can download this sample kml file here:

http://newmagic.com.au/support/z/MarkH/demo.kml

Justin's trip analysis web tool is better than Google Earth for this and I have asked whether they can implement the option to import this kml file directly.

There are a few new preference settings now for locking the screen on, selecting the CA version, and prompting for the log filename. If you enable file name prompting you have to enter a filename when you start logging. I found this very helpful in testing since often you may want to do several test rides and the date-time filenames are too hard to remember!

The log files now have column headers and the date/time fields have been improved. Several bugs have also been fixed.

Please keep the feedback coming!

How is it going? Fellows up at CA sent me this link, are you still looking for beta testers?

Before I stumbled on this thread I had been thinking about bt and CA. I have a HC-06 but they are setup for 3.3V... Which adapter should I get? I gladly beta test and even put some time in coding... I haven't messed with android much but this will give me a great reason to learn.

Hello Guys
I'm actually testing this app, and like to share the whole installing/wiring process.
First of all, let me say a big THANKS to Mark that developed this app,

Hardware used:

- A Galaxy S4Zoom SM-C105, this is a small screen device but any device with Android supporting Bluetooth (and OTG in my case) would work
- A Cycle Analyst (any version seems to work fine, I have tested a V3 and a V2.24 B6 LRC) with at least the serial output data stream
- A bluesmirf silver, in my case from Sparkfun)
- A TRS (or TRRS miniJack Audio cable ending with soldering wires or jumpers http://www.robot-italy.com/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/d43192dcd82ea942982b4b1d2a6e2479/1/1/11580-01.jpeg
- A TTL USB cable ending with labeled jumpers http://www.robot-italy.com/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/d43192dcd82ea942982b4b1d2a6e2479/1/2/12977-00.jpg
- An OTG micro USB cable http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51AjFXXhBDL._SL1000_.jpg (to program the BT module instead of using a PC but Arduino or any Linux/win environment in any device could be used as well if a serial terminal is provided)
- some jumper wires, soldering iron and consumables
- Plastic Box and DCDC from Matt's (Recumpence) RCthrottle interface http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12196
- plugs to connect the DCDC to the main e-bike Pack

Software:

- ANdroid 4.4.2
- The Ebike Analyzer App for Android from Mark (read his description to get it in the first thread post)
- The FDTI UART Terminal v1.0 for Android (free from PlayStore) used to change the Baud Rate on the BT module from the default to the 9600 needed for the CA stream.

So I've firstly connected the USB TTL pigtail cable to the BT module providing to it even the 5v. the Cable I have has labeled wires. Than, thru the OTG cable and using the FTDI UART app, I've changed the Baud Rate as per SparkFun's well made guides. (https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/using-the-bluesmirf)
Than wired the DCDC output to the BT module mating CAgnd, BTgnd and DC- and connecting VCC to DC+, plus crossing Tx and Rx of CA and BT module using the AudioTRS pigtail cable.
I have ENclosed everything inside the Ex-RCinterface box from Matt that results very clean: only 2 thin DCDC imput wires and the CA serial TRS cable.View attachment 1

I still think that let the App to work even directly over the OTG port would be great, it should be cheaper (no BT module needed) and cleaner, if you use the Android device on the handlebar close to the CA, also, should be less consuming than using BT for the smartphone Battery.

However, I've now realized better that BT allows you to use the micro USB port for other stuff like OTG storage as well as charging the phone from the DCDC, and even allows the Phone to be kept in your pockets or backpack for datalog and GPS ability using the CA main screen as usual, or otherwise, even allowing you to keep The CA and cabling enclosed and not visible in a Box (my thoughts are for Trikes or LEVs and static uses) and an Android device on the handlebar.

Hope that's useful for someone.....thanks again MArk

I've just posted a new build of the beta. The new version 1.2 features:

- Support for Android 5+ lollipop
- Automatically tries to connect to last device on startup
- Preference values shown in summaries
- Touch Temperature Gauge for full screen version
- Text is clearer on gauges

Some have asked for an option to turn on full screen brightness. This is not consistent across devices that I have tested so is still a work in progress. I'll enable full screen mode once I have also updated to Material Design theme.

Please report any issues as usual.

I am very interested in CA files so that I can run them in trip-analyzer.

I wish it ran on iPhone. I have an Android tablet but not phone.

hi,
my ca3 has bluetooth now(hc07 mounted inside). works great.
can i try your app too?
thanks

Is there a way to log that Bluetooth to an iPhone and then output to the ride analyzer?

Back