Post Your Electric Longboard or Electric Mountainboard Build

^^^Yay, brushless baby! Haha.

It would definitely end up heavier though as this motor is just too small and gets hot easily....like our FREAKING WEATHER!!!

Hi,
starting to build the new electric skateboard for my 6 years old son, used a 28" santacruz deck with torqueboards single motor kit (which i already using with my other longboard setup),
thank you torqueboards for all of your support, I really think that your kits are getting to perfection, thanks for including bearings and hardware with the kit !!
attached is a prebuild pf the deck, will add a move soon

Attachments

• IMAG0076.jpg
    IMAG0076.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 3,698
@xdaass, I love that Rob Roskopp throwback Simpsons deck. Just an unsolicited word of advice. I put some of those 83mm wheels on an old school deck of mine and even with 1/2" risers I got the gnarliest wheel bite. Threw me straight onto the asphalt hard when I was trying to do a pretty light turn (not even a carve). My take is that those big wheels require lots and lots of clearance.

Has anyone heard of these new motor wheel trucks? The motor is built right into the wheel. It seems like a very cool and interesting innovation, but I don't think it is as customizable as the good old pully ones (doesn't go as fast, etc). The only positive thing I can think of is it saves space and is just a neat idea.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 3,578
garrettgajewski said:
Has anyone heard of these new motor wheel trucks? The motor is built right into the wheel. It seems like a very cool and interesting innovation, but I don't think it is as customizable as the good old pully ones (doesn't go as fast, etc). The only positive thing I can think of is it saves space and is just a neat idea.

Lol! Everything traces back the endless-sphere!! :wink:

torqueboards said:
Now who would ever want a production board when there are a ton of DIY options :mrgreen:

For reals. After all, you can't just walk into a store and buy a gorgeous peice like this to tear up the bike trails. 8)
widowmaker-web.jpg

garrettgajewski said:
Has anyone figured out a way to incorporate onboard charging to their Diy build?

You can but IMO I think it butchers the performance. With RC packs you can get pretty much unlimited amp draw 100amp for a 5ah 20C pack. More if you increase C rating and/or capacity.

If you add on a BMS usually amp draw is normally 80amps or less.

I think this is very similar to reason why quadcopters and RC counterparts don't bother with on-board charging.

In the beginning, I was against it but I've gotten use to it and prefer the performance over another production based board with limited specs.

I think somebody just needs to find some time to design a decent BMS... it's on my to-do list but I probably won't get around to it until the summer.

In the meantime: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=61171

torqueboards said:
garrettgajewski said:
Has anyone figured out a way to incorporate onboard charging to their Diy build?

You can but IMO I think it butchers the performance. With RC packs you can get pretty much unlimited amp draw 100amp for a 5ah 20C pack. More if you increase C rating and/or capacity.

If you add on a BMS usually amp draw is normally 80amps or less.

I think this is very similar to reason why quadcopters and RC counterparts don't bother with on-board charging.

In the beginning, I was against it but I've gotten use to it and prefer the performance over another production based board with limited specs.

This problem could likely be solved in a production model by having a separate charger, but configuring that charger to be a single-button-press-smart-charger that knew your battery configuration already and didn't require flipping through menus or restarting after arbitrary time limits. Programmable, but not in-your-face-programmable. For example, I would plug it in, press either "put it away" or "playtime" and it would charge my rig to either 22.2 or 25.2 respectively. Something I could walk away from safely because it would be smart enough to know when to stop and start charging and would just do it.

We'll I'm pretty sure iCharger's and other high quality chargers are fine to leave charging overnight and for the most part nothing will happen. I think it's more the fact in our case we use LiPo batteries which are dangerous when overvoltaged just to prevent all that from happening.

Anyhow, I think a charging solution would be awesome and no BMS would be needed. I'd actually enjoy that aspect.

Is there any reason you couldn't use the BMS only for charging/balancing and use the ESC for current limiting and low voltage cut off? You would get the easy charging of the BMS without the performance hit.

SlowNinja said:
Is there any reason you couldn't use the BMS only for charging/balancing and use the ESC for current limiting and low voltage cut off? You would get the easy charging of the BMS without the performance hit.

I brought up this solution about 2 Monthes ago and I assume it should work. All yu need is a BMS that has a charge current of 10amps and the discharge current could be as low as you want as you won't be useing the BMS to discharge the battery's.

This is my build. I've been messing around with rc car esc's and wanted more speed. Found Alien Power Systems and the new ride is insane! I'm still testing, but I've hit 34 mph so far on 10s. Picture shows 12s but I've never tried that and probably won't. Lots of torque even with my 11x 47 gearing #25 chain

Attachments

• IMG_13186407377987.jpeg
    IMG_13186407377987.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 3,255
highfiving said:
Fun on the beach

Wow, cool boards!
You removed the rear bindings? Safety or comfort reason?

Glad you like the boards. I find removing the rear binding allows better placement of my footing and easier to dismount. Also, at higher speeds the wobble seems very much related to where my rear foot is and the binding wasn't the optimal spot. The front binding is really all I need to assist my turning. Great site, great to share with people who undetstand

highfiving said:
Glad you like the boards. I find removing the rear binding allows better placement of my footing and easier to dismount. Also, at higher speeds the wobble seems very much related to where my rear foot is and the binding wasn't the optimal spot. The front binding is really all I need to assist my turning. Great site, great to share with people who undetstand

Ok, thanks for the details.
Wobble on 34 mph :)))))
Im on 34kph, its enough for me :)))

What your trucks? Matrix? Maybe the hardest eggshock and tighten springs, will working better in high speed.

Back