Qulbix 165/140 Raptor /NYX Carbon - Sabvoton/Adaptto - 20s/22s Build #5

Thanks Merlin,

I was thinking of doing what Snell did, and running a 3 switch to control wattage, and then another 3 switch to control speed. Although not exactly like a one switch poti to control PAS, it could mean it's safer. That way you could just use autopas and have the controller 3 speed switch limit watts, up to 60A for example in increments of 20A, so even with AutoPAS through the CA, there's no unexpected surprises. Then use the throttle override for full power.

Though I like your poti a lot. Could you give some details on that and how you wired it?

Hey Marcn,

with a 3 switch to controll wattage you have no option to drive a speed YOU want.
For Example driving with Girlfriend or Dog. when you have fixed wattage Power your bike will accelerate till the speed is reached what your power(Physics) reached.
that means you pedal, stop pedal, pedal, stop pedal to try pathetic hold one speed from your buddy next to you without an ebike.
thats the "Problem" of all cheap DIY ebike Kits with fixed Power Settings and Display (1-2-3-4-5-6)
(i hope you understand what i mean :p)

another 3 speed switch for Speed? did you mean the normal 3speed switch on Infineon Controllers? Then your Right. Its just for Speed limiting. The Power you have setup is the same.
(alot of people think they 3 modes are for Power)
that means (and iam really sure) the unexpected "jumps" you get also.
and beside that; did you ever use a 3 way switch? when you setup this switches to 30-60-100% the throttle gets more jerky on every lower Power Position.
(Try to setup Position 1 for 30% and Position 2 for 120%.....on 120% near uncontrollable, on 30% to slow/sluggish...the response of the throttle i mean.)

btw: i dont know how to use a 3 speed switch on a Sabvoton Controller :p

This is the Poti:
https://www.distrelec.de/ishop/Datasheets/ldP16_data_en.pdf

its just wired to AUX Connector of the CA.

Yesterday i made a litte Video to Show Silence of the Controller, PAS and Schlumpf Crank.
Made with Handy. So expect not High Quality stuff :p

[youtube]RocdZ1ScDNk[/youtube]

sure, i will do...when you tell me how to hold a camera at 110kph or a WOT with 12kw on accelerate :D

from 0-20-30 kph you hear the Profile of mountainbike tires
above 30 kph you hear more wind noise

i can make a video with a mounted goPro cam. I know you will here more resonance of the frame but maybe it helps.

marcn said:
Thanks Merlin,

I was thinking of doing what Snell did, and running a 3 switch to control wattage, and then another 3 switch to control speed. Although not exactly like a one switch poti to control PAS, it could mean it's safer. That way you could just use autopas and have the controller 3 speed switch limit watts, up to 60A for example in increments of 20A, so even with AutoPAS through the CA, there's no unexpected surprises. Then use the throttle override for full power.

Though I like your poti a lot. Could you give some details on that and how you wired it?

I have ridden Snellemin's bike and it is not jerky on lower settings. I believe he has one switch that changes the amperage maximum. I started on the lowest setting so I wouldn't crash his bike! Then moved to the middle setting after a little time. Both settings were smooth.

He also has a switch that limits the speed of the bike. I think he has it set to zero (disables throttle), then 2 other speeds. I think this is a great idea. He implemented the Zero because people often walk up to bikes (or motorcycles) and twist the throttle for no reason at all. On a motorcycle, people are smart enough not to do that when the engine is running but on an e-bike, they have no aural indication that the motor is "on."

Mammalian04 said:
He also has a switch that limits the speed of the bike. I think he has it set to zero (disables throttle), then 2 other speeds. I think this is a great idea. He implemented the Zero because people often walk up to bikes (or motorcycles) and twist the throttle for no reason at all. On a motorcycle, people are smart enough not to do that when the engine is running but on an e-bike, they have no aural indication that the motor is "on."

+11111111111111111

i know that very well. ... my raptor was not 3 days old. Some guy who asked me things about; in one sec he grabs the throttle and starts turning :shock:
*wtf
glad i was on the bike and hold my brake....

Hi Merlin,

Yep, I understand what you're saying, that's how all pedal sensors work though, and it's a shame there's no torque sensor in an 83mm bottom bracket. I've grown quite used to pedal sensors, and for me it's just about setting a good range of low end speeds to combat that issue of stopping/starting. Could be worthwhile using the poti for the speed settings if it's possible through the CA, and the 3 speed switch I'll set it to 50A/60A/70A on the controller.

Not sure about it being jerky, Snell others have reported it being quite good when using it through the CA.

i bet after you tried a poti for your pas you will never go back ;)
driving side by side with another biker (maybe with or without motor) is so easy.
Just setup a bit under your buddys speed and you can hold/accelerate this speed with your own "human watts"

Yes you're right I'm thinking of using the poti for a speed variation. Could you tell me where you bought yours and what voltage and resistance rating you choose?

...§(%§(%"(/"§$"%)$% Fu*******

:evil:

another crank arm killed...30kph on gras...

never in my live i have killed a crankarm..not on heavy crashes where i fly around and injured for a few days in hospital....
...now i have frocked two of them....

....the poti is from cycle-analyst.de
http://www.cycle-analyst.de/Cycle_Analyst_V3_Potentiometer_Deutsch.html
(i took the easy way ;P)

Hi Merlin,

Sorry to hear about the crank!

On a separate note, I am interested in how the Hope Top Crown is working for you.

I am thinking this might be good for my wife on the Raptor 140. She is 5'8". How tall are you?

i like the Hope Crown...beside the look it is really stiff and with a 80mm HiRiser Bar Seat Position is great.
The biggest benefit is that you can use the complete 203mm Suspension without lowering the bottom crown.

Iam 5'10" tall.

I Present:

- A 40A Flux Weakining Run at 84v Fully Charged Lipopack with slight headwinds and 1% pitch of road.
- Only 3,0 (Voltage)Sag at 8,5KW with hand selected Lipos :D
- How fast a Cromotor heats up on a 3-4Km Run with 8,5KW (outside temp 27°) Started with Cold Motor.
- How great 4KW Regenerative Braking works to complete Stop.
- High Resonance Squeeking at 65-70kph.
- How to kill another Crank arm on a slow speed Crash on gras.........................

..have fun :p

[youtube]0141WK6dsnQ[/youtube]

Thanks for the video and feedback on the Hope Top Crown. I think I will pick one up for the wife's bike now!

Looks awesome. I really like how lean your bike looks. All wiring is tucked away and wrapped up nicely.

Hey Merlin,

I didn't even know you had this thread up.

I have a question, you're using a single speed chain tensioner? What brand are you using. Thanks.

Hey Offroader,
nope i dont use one. All i tested havent fit.
a screw here and there was to big. the tensioner scratches in the optimal chainline position on the sidecovers of motor.

i ended up with a short derailleur shimano zee.

Thanks Merlin. I was thinking about how these single speed chain tensioners would work because you would need the perfect distance from where the tensioner attaches to the bike to where the freewheel is.

I thought maybe you could move the freewheel a little bit with shims to get it to fit.

The shimano zee derailleur looks really nice. I like the fact that it is short. The problem I am having is I keep hitting my derailleur on rocks and stuff.

I guess a derailleur is the way to go as you can adjust it to fit the chain perfectly. It is also a clutch type which are supposedly the best.

I'm currently in the process of completely renewing my whole chain, chainring, and chain tensioner.

Offroader said:
Thanks Merlin. I was thinking about how these single speed chain tensioners would work because you would need the perfect distance from where the tensioner attaches to the bike to where the freewheel is.

I thought maybe you could move the freewheel a little bit with shims to get it to fit.

The shimano zee derailleur looks really nice. I like the fact that it is short. The problem I am having is I keep hitting my derailleur on rocks and stuff.

I guess a derailleur is the way to go as you can adjust it to fit the chain perfectly. It is also a clutch type which are supposedly the best.

I'm currently in the process of completely renewing my whole chain, chainring, and chain tensioner.

In my opinion, this is the best chain tensioner out there. http://www.paulcomp.com/melvin.html

Rix, problem is lining up those single speed tensioners with the chainline. I need to find out the distance between the where the derailleur mounts to where the single speed tensioner needs to line up with the freewheel.

A derailleur is simple and lets you precisely adjust to where your freewheel is.

I also think those clutch type with derailleurs may work better than the single speed chain tensioners anyway. Plus they make them really short now so they stay up higher and more protected.

yep and the price is same.
i tried the cheap ones from xlc and also surly ones.
the all have a big nut that scratches the sidecover.
i was really pissed ordering and sending back everytime.

the tensioner rix posted i never saw before.(and has a nice price ;P)

This tensioner here has good reviews and a lot of people recommended it. It seemed like it was the best buy.

But it will be hard to pay $80 for it and have it not work. I can get the Zee derailleur for $58 dollars and it is a clutch type, small, and will probably work perfectly.

http://www.yesspro.com/product/etrd-full-suspension-chain-tensioner/

Merlin said:
...§(%§(%"(/"§$"%)$% Fu*******

....the poti is from cycle-analyst.de
http://www.cycle-analyst.de/Cycle_Analyst_V3_Potentiometer_Deutsch.html
(i took the easy way ;P)

Thanks Merlin, I ended up grabbing one and will have a play around with it when it arrives.

Back