Solar-Cross hybrid e-bike

short teaser video:
[youtube]y7i07ggvpr4[/youtube]

p4pb8490879.jpg

p4pb8494781.jpg

p4pb8494780.jpg

Love your style when jumping! I'm suscribing to your YT ;)

Also, good job on the GP sponsorship, how did you get that one if it's not asking too much?

Hi bzhwindtalker .. to get GP sponsorship.. I kept my ebike within the legal limits, never gave up and was finally accomplished by my lack of owning a quality camera..

by the way your build rocks ! / I have a question for you.. If you were to start from scratch to build your current ebike what would the total dollar cost be ?

Well I guess that if you take into account tools and stuff I learned from the last few builds... Way too much money ;)
but I recon you could make a similare bike for 1500$ depending on where you source the components but costs certainly does add up!

I would like to see what you could do with my bike riding it :)

bzhwindtalker..
but I recon you could make a similar bike for 1500$
ya.. *$1500 sounds close to my est. although that would be the lighter sub <40lbs version
I think a 50lbs version can be built for *$1000 (*includes bike purchase)
- $500 should be enough to convert any bike..
... *$2000+ could build the ultimate <30lbs machine
/weight does not include battery.. I carry my battery in a backpack \ 40V 8Ah Turnigy nano-tech - 1850g
which is enough capacity for well over an hour non-stop at the bmx track.. (minimal pedaling)

bzhwindtalker..
I would like to see what you could do with my bike riding it :)
haha Im not sure about that.. Im not a super strong confident rider.. although Im visiting the bmx track daily for the past week.. and Im starting to attempt the doubles.. pretty fun stuff... I will have some footage up soon...

With a 16:1 reduction, you must be running that motor a pretty low rpm, not in it's optimal zone. With 36v, those motors want to turn 4000rpm or so loaded I believe.

What's the top speed? What about with pedal assistance at ~100rpms?

If you don't mind noise, the currie gear reduction motors are great for this drive setup. Not much more than 750-1000watts peak though.

Hi veloman

Yep the rpm's are not optimal..A 750 watt motor with 11T turning 80T sprocket (36v 1000w controller) driving a 22T crank chainring turning a 11T-34T cassette 26" wheel does work okay without pedaling, and keeps the speed in legal (BC, Canada) 30km/h range.. my bike has two front chainrings.. the other is an 38T, I road this setup for the entire winter... the 38T chainring slows the rpm's way down, and not very fun to ride unless your interested in cardio training & enjoy pedaling hard at maximum cadence in every gear... I could keep up to most road cyclists on flats and hills..but in hotter temps. motor will overheat & be destroyed! - The Nano-tech battery is just so feckin powerful.. I had no motor overheating issue's with lower priced lipo..

My new 1000watt motor also has 11T sprocket.. however it has massive torque compared to the 750w motor..
a test without pedaling I reached 45km/h in approx. 18 seconds...
with pedaling I reached 50km/h in under 10 seconds...

However, I'am working on two big improvements which will give the rpm's a BIG boost..
- custom motor couplings 8T and 5T sprockets..
- 3 chainring crank setup: 18T - 30T - 42T..
I've read for every tooth subtracted adds approx. 10% more torque. From my previous builds I was able to reach 50km/h with a 750w motor on just 24v (750w controller) w/pedaling using a 5t motor sprocket to 80T drive on a 42T chainring powering a 11T gear 26" wheel.

603534_133508073457605_1144548018_n.jpg

Oh YAA! got the custom 5T & 8T sprockets for 1/4" chain back from my machinist this morning!!
Motor-new-sprockets.jpg

/ sprocket on far right is the 11T that come stock with most brushed motors of this type.. which works okay but not very efficient in low RPM's and pulls more amps than it should..
The 5T will stay on this 750w motor, and go back onto my bike ASAP!
/ 60% more torque - 60% lower top speed / comparing to 11T sprocket !! - but if I need more speed, that is why I have 18 gears !

Right now I have a 1000w mounted on my ebike with a 11T
which has far too much speed.. in granny gears (22T front - 34T rear) Im still hitting 45km/h ! with no problems climbing !
Manitou-x-vert.jpg

But I have another idea for the 8T sprocket & 1000w motor !!
Specialized-super-monster-1000watt.jpg

Should I ??? YEP!

Damn that 5t is TINY! I wonder if it's efficiency is reduced much.

Damn that 5t is TINY! I wonder if it's efficiency is reduced much.

In particular.. efficiency of what Veloman ?

... actually I tried every gear from 11T down to 5T.. I found the throttle response I was looking for, only with the 5T.. at that time I was running - 750 watts @ 24V

Drivetrain efficiency. Obviously motor efficiency will be better with the 5t as opposed to overgearing it with something bigger.

IMO, small gears are not mechanically as efficient, but it may only be a couple percent and worth it.

healed up now from my little accident.. video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WJPY8_rOIA haha ouch!
couple weeks behind schedule.. but hey I finally got some work done...
22T-freewheel-crank-for-ebike.jpg

I call this my 750 watt motor (36V 1000W controller) efficiency solution
[youtube]Q6pYanJqqf0[/youtube]
1/4" 5T chain drive on freewheel cranks with 80T sprocket turning the 18T chainring powering the 11-34T rear wheel cassette

well.. I call this my efficiency solution setup.. because Its possible to throttle down to just a mere 5 watts draw (no pedaling required)
more soon..

Shifting is great isn't it?!

38-5-pounds-Specialized-eFSR-sm.jpg

Alright.. who can top this ???
electric full suspension (double crown forks)
38lbs 8oz
17.4633 kg !

practising my video editing skills using free software programs:
[youtube]X24b-57Ie3s[/youtube]

Awesome build. Love the simplicity. Would you mind posting the make/model of motor and controller. Also, I have a difficult tube to try to mount to and I'd was hoping you would post some up close photos of your mounting brackets.

motor is the Currie 3 bolt (triangle) type - this motor comes in everything from 200w up to 1000w and can purchased at many shops...
controller from TNC scooters
I use 4x t-bolt clamps (modified) to bolt a piece of 4"x6" aluminum angle
- Im re-building my drive and gears again.. so I dont have a pic right now.. soon though

this is the bike I always wanted as a kid!!
upside-800.png

larger pic
Switched up the gears abit and also wanted to try out chrome tape to see if this helps with being seen a bit better when riding at night...
7 tooth / motor sprocket
95 tooth / drive sprocket
inside front ring I still run 18 tooth small ring, and 38 tooth large ring
leftside-800.png

larger pic
controller is mounted to top tube
rightside-800.png

larger pic
still running 36v 1000w motor/controller... with 10s1p Nanotechs (tethered in backpack)

Nice work. I'm curious about your modified t-bolt clamps. Can you post some up close photos of those. Also interested in your feedback on the before and after gears you have tried.

Thanks Epack
4 clamps
- t-bolt clamps are still a work in progress... I think I have it figured out now..
- in process of beefing them up to 5/16 from 1/4" / U can see top right t-bolt clamp is 5/16 (1/4" will bend)
original clamps were I think M6 threads..
basically once you have the right t-bolt clamp... find some 5/16 barrel nuts (cross dowel) / Lowes has them I think.. or make them
The gears... with this setup Im liking it alot! almost perfect (48V would be crazy)
10 motor sprocket rotations per 1 wheel rotation was before this (8T - 80T).. good but not optimal for the full cassette range..
now I get 13.5 revolutions .. with a 1000w motor and its very nice..
just depends the motor... with a 750w motor I was not impressed until I tried 5T - 80T combination or 16 rotations... I could hit 50km/h without pedaling...
t-bolts-800.png

Thanks. Now go get some more riding in and enjoy your work. Post a vid too!

I've been riding around Vancouver, BC for the past 2 1/2 weeks... commuting from West Van. to DT daily...easily passing roadies on all grades except for the flats... I could even manage to beat vehicle's over the Lions Gate Bridge.. mainly because of vehicle congestion at rush hour... but hey passing 100 idling vehicles going 35km/h sipping on 200-300 watts is sweet !
I had to throw on some phosphor lights (Electroluminescent Wire) so drivers couldn't miss this..
over 500km's during the night and day...
The bike has got loads of torque for only 1000watt motor..
[youtube]SsfJ9HtIN6c[/youtube]

Ok, so i have everything ready to order, I just dont know if I should order the 60v or 48v motor...

also where to get freewheel sprocket parts? Should I use a 2 stage reduction? Where to get aluminum plate?

Back