Solar-Cross hybrid e-bike

20 miles at my typical consumption of 20wh/mile, which is with very little pedaling just on starts. So 75w array, x 5.5hrs equals 400wh. Direct connection to battery is 98% efficient.

Direct connection to battery is 98% efficient.
Yep thats good to know.. voltage boosters are close with 96% efficiency

How fun is this look??
Electric-Snowbike-frontal-800.jpg

[youtube]jtjCSqBFjSU[/youtube]
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ccpfo

reflektors:
10428658_10152157992202136_5084340401137457056_n.jpg

testing:
[youtube]O5FlG4ADOuY[/youtube]

19 Kilos
1500 Watt controller
3 Hp brushed motor
24 Volt 24 Ah battery

I was coming into a corner a little too tight - honest
(SOS biker down.. atleast 10 days for replacement parts)
p4pb11213303.jpg

ouch. Some of these lightweight suspension linkages have me wondering. I ride a khs with the same design. Some of the bolts holding the shock have bent pretty good.

I'd redesign it and have a few cut. Laser/water jet. I've read some bike forums where similar has happened to my model (Scott ransom) on the rocker arm. Planning to upgrade the rocker and the dropouts eventually.

how much would a laser/water jet run cost ??

this is my $200 replacement:
01%20to%2003%20xc%20linkage.JPG

provides an additional 30mm of rear travel... but the linkage looks about the same width where my stock linkage just broke :?: ??

more:
the shock bolt (M6 - steel) was bent & seized in place before the break, my previous FSR frames I would re-thread the bolt from an M6 up to 5/16" bolt

this took place on pavement with about the width of 4 lanes of space, the corner had a slight bank to it... so I naturally tried to push the experience to the fullest... :roll: / I'll chalk this expense as inexperienced..
(I might have touched the breaks aswell as had a bit of the throttle engaged)

Any thoughts on my vid ?

Got my new rear linkage installed.. 120mm rear - 100mm front.. also shown are the upgrade sprockets.. I need to make a whole new motor mount plate for the large 54T sprocket or I can shoehorn in the smaller 42T .. to replace the 32T currently mounted...
Pffff 50Nm - +$3000 ebikes...
I haven't calculated my reduction yet ?? - but if I was remotely close to a 130:1 ratio... on 1500Watts my motor would output 290 Nm!
@ 38lbs (w/o battery)
p4pb11331688.jpg

reduction unit weigh in:
[youtube]2cWWuax71JM[/youtube]

This is my new custom crankset.. ISIS.. 4 bolts pin it all together.. Outside sprocket is 1/4" chain - 95T..
Im in $300 so far...
I plan to keep using the very durable Excess freewheel.. Which Ive been using for the past 2 years... But because of the run-out or sideways play...
damaged occurs with 2'-3'+ jumps or drops... While pedaling on landing..
This freewheel is called the Token - Sharkbite - dual angular bearing freewheel

1454856_10152347778662136_6419212449183501740_n.jpg

10153791_10152349689622136_3237200700374083801_n.jpg

10659447_10152349691412136_3494465247350118718_n.jpg

far out man...I saw your bideo on you tube I believe a few years back.very cool. you were one of the first ones to put solar on a bike that didn't go for some kind of ridiculous two panel over top on a tandem bike....

my question is those panels you said did about 20 or so watts...you had like three..so you make 60 watts power...may I ask what is your solar set up..im not following it...and does that mean it takes about 2 days or so to charge your bike to 100 percent?

how do you charge it? how do you charge the lithium...does your battery have bms system? do you use a step up convertor? I was looking at gensun 8 or something about a boost convertor and about 60 or so watts of panels..i was thinking front rack back rack and possibly folding....
love to hear how your doing with it....

hey mountain biker
If you go back to page 3 of this thread you will see the last solar build from summer 2013
I built 8 panels at approx. 100 grams each rated for 12 watts each..or approx. 100 watts for the array
Im re-building it right now...

my AC-Solar charging solution
1970 Grams weight for 900 Watt PSU and iChargers 206B and 208B
- 208B excepts 4.5V+ input voltage - great for low voltage parallel wired panels
1380494_706439466108172_4978299207300771486_n.jpg

Hello myzter,
It seems, you use #25 chain on secondary reduction. Does it work well, is it quiet? What freewheel did you use on jackshaft side? Probably you dramatically changed secondary reduction size with 95tooth.

hello dusan
I use #25 chain on both the first & secondary reduction's
#25 has always worked great for me, fairly low noise if sprockets are aligned
I can understand why people utilize a freewheel on the motor shaft, but I do not use one on my bike. I like being ale to pedal along with the motor ...tribrid-powered.. or more by adding solar... what I really like to find is a on-off roller clutch

so could you set up..where you possibly have 3 12 volt lifepo batteries..you use one panel for each battery..cut around 18 volts open voltage amps max around 3. and then you use three separate solar charge controllers. you don't have to worry about over amping because the panels produce less than 5 amps which is okay for lifepo4... then you run from your batteries...a series to give you 36 volts nominal and then you hook this into your motor controller system?

the concept of being mobile and having limited or no need to hook up to the grid is eyeopening and juding from the lack of posting on the subject(from the web in general...you type in puff daddy you get a million hits..type in 36 volt lifepo4 solar charger you get maybe less than a 100 actual sites in English) it is uncharted territory. in a 36 volt e bike lifepo4 world. there are probably a million or so people in America that could bike 100 or so days a year instead of using their car if they had similar type technology, which seems buried deep in the net.

I like this concept because what if there was no powergrid where you choose to live.

ive also looked into making a winch for my bicycle. once again almost no posting on this topic,if you want to keep your winch less than 30 pounds and don't require 2000 pounds of pull power more like 75 kg.cf stall. this will help me choose more locations where I can take my bike also you could hide the bike in a tree with camo and then use it when you needed it. assuming the marriot or Hilton was booked up ofcourse....and assuming they had a solar array there that I could hook up my lifepo4 battery too. I honestly feel some people on this thread should start a new thread called solar-cross hybrid e-bike but only a distance that they can go to and come back to their solar powered house. I hate to be so negative but its frustrating trying to look up this solar powered stuff and then to find blogs with advice that really isn't that helpful to the topic.

oh I got a Chinese supplier that says they will give me three 35 watt panels and lifepo4 battery with 5 amp solar charger. around 450 dollars us...but no specs yet could be chasing another rainbow,,but maybe 5 email later ill know more....

[youtube]OgL-fnR_jeg[/youtube]
Ah finally got the sprocket switch-out done..
from 42T up-to 54T sprocket on first stage..
Now for every pedal rotation the motor spins around 31 times
So from motor to 9sp. rear wheel cassette
6 different sprockets = 13T-54T-13T-95T-(18T/36T)-(11T/36T)
No-load motor : 6000rpm
No-load amps : 3.4 Amps @ 24V - approx. 81.6 Watts
I measured 105-110 Watts in small front ring and granny gear
not bad for 82% peak efficiency with a brushed motor..
I think Im ready for the 3205 Astro motor now...

back in the year 2013...

Solar Charging before the sun goes down at Nancy Greene Lake
[youtube]ir_BrSIGHbE[/youtube]

Solar Charging before noon at Nancy Greene Lake
[youtube]QihD-1ExfCo[/youtube]

Finally!! Converting to brushless ! ! !
We can begin our new solar fairing soon too ! !
This motor is similar spec. 2-3Kw - as previous brushed motor, however higher efficiency + higher voltage..
Controller = VESC
In comparison this is 1.36kg weight reduction.
NOICE!
:shock:
mtr-cntrlr-3.jpg

Back