• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Source for 17" moped rims and tires

billyjones454

100 mW
Hi
I'm looking for a good place to source moped rims/tires shipped to the USA? I'm looking to build a fat tire type bike, so as wide as possible, size 16-17. If anyone has any recommendations, I would appreciate it! 8)

Thanks

billyjones454 said:
Hi
I'm looking for a good place to source moped rims/tires shipped to the USA? I'm looking to build a fat tire type bike, so as wide as possible, size 16-17. If anyone has any recommendations, I would appreciate it! 8)

Thanks

Have you tried your local motorcycle store?
They have about 4 catalogues to choose from. The problem is you need make and models of motorcycles, but you find a rim you want then find a motorbike its on and give them that info.

As wide as possible?
Gosh there are some like 5" wide rims out there that wont fit no bicycle.

TreatlandTV is a source for rims, tires and tubes for like 1.20 to 2.75 rim widths.
Ebay has major discount sellers selling motorcycle gear.
Online websites for major discount retailers.

jpcycles.com
denniskirk.com
summitracing.com

treatlandTV is the #1 place for Moped tires, as they import some stuff you can't get other places in the US. But nothing in the Moped range would qualify as "Fat Bike", being over 4". For that, you're going to need a Motorcycle tire. Because of the way MC tires work, the width equivalent would be a 100/90 but the volume and height would be less. Those start would need a 110/90 or 120/80 for a 4"tall tire, roughly.
Any motorcycle shop will have them. as for rims, for a fat rim, try Ebay Motorcycle rims. Nothing made for a Moped will be 4"/ 100mm wide.

I'm curious what frame you're going to put this in.

Drunkskunk said:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=106613

Drunkskunk said:
treatlandTV is the #1 place for Moped tires, as they import some stuff you can't get other places in the US. But nothing in the Moped range would qualify as "Fat Bike", being over 4". For that, you're going to need a Motorcycle tire. Because of the way MC tires work, the width equivalent would be a 100/90 but the volume and height would be less. Those start would need a 110/90 or 120/80 for a 4"tall tire, roughly.
Any motorcycle shop will have them. as for rims, for a fat rim, try Ebay Motorcycle rims. Nothing made for a Moped will be 4"/ 100mm wide.

Thanks for the advice. I'm the guy in the other thread asking about a beginner custom frame build. Your comments were helpful with understanding what I need to do to build a frame from scratch.

I have already ordered some 20" bike tires, but I feel like with a qs205 I need something a little more heavy duty. I also hope to go with a moped tire for the same reason. However I like the meaty look of the fat tire setup. It's not a deal breaker though, and I've seen some good examples on other posts that show some moped rims with nice meaty tires. So I guess it's just whatever works best, is available, and in the budget.

As far as the frame goes, I'd like to build something similar to the Super73-rx

Attachments

• super73-rx.jpg
    super73-rx.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 214
Depending on exactly how "meaty" you're after, there are a few less-than-fatbike-sized tires that you can pretty easily find moped rims and tires for.

The Shinko SR714 that I'm using the 2.5" version of on the SB Cruiser trike also has an 80/80 and 90/80 version, in the 16" size--these would be something like 3"+ wide, and something close to 24" tall, depending on the rim used. Probably has them in the 17" too, though I haven't looked. It's a good tire with good grip; so far each set lasts me around two years on the heavy cargo trike (it's my only transportation).

Pirelli makes the ML75 that's about the same tire, and comes in about the same sizes--only reason I haven't used it is it seems to be almost twice as much money, and my budget hadn't allowed me the extra so far.

This is how the 2.5" looks on the trike, on 45mm rims. I'd use the larger ones but they wont' fit until I rebuild the whole frame around the wheel (which was built for BMX tires, which are much smaller than these--I already had to "notch" the tubing to fit the 2.5"!)
https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67833&p=1562028#p1562028
file.php

Back