The SB Cruiser : Amberwolf's 2WD Heavy Cargo Trike & Dog Carrier

Rest of the spring clip pics. Sorry they're so blurry but I can't see the screen in the sunlight to tell what the pic looks like, and the autofocus always seems to fixate on the background instead of the object, regardless of how or where I hold the camera. :/

Attachments

• 20230807_123448.jpg
    20230807_123448.jpg
    757.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230807_123554.jpg
    20230807_123554.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230807_123550.jpg
    20230807_123550.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230807_123540.jpg
    20230807_123540.jpg
    598.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230807_123526.jpg
    20230807_123526.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230807_123517.jpg
    20230807_123517.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230807_123512.jpg
    20230807_123512.jpg
    609.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230807_123505.jpg
    20230807_123505.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 2
Well, it certainly gets hot--it isn't glowing even after a hard stop from 15-20MPH with a few hundred pounds of cargo :lol: but it'll blue the rotor surface under those conditions. (that doesn't happen under normal use, but the rotor will still be too hot to touch after a stop.)

The brakes themselves are sufficient to lock up the wheel and skid, so "better" ones wouldn't provide any better braking, if that's what you mean by "insufficient"?

I think he means that heaving brakes with more mass ( for instance ) will absorb more of the heat of the pad and would not overheat the pad as quickly? As to sufficient, it's not just stopping once, it's about having enough heat absorption ability and shedding ability to not have issues with fused parts.

I might start disliking those mt200's I love so much from riding my mtb at sluggish speeds mostly, now that that motor is making it easier to go fast

Also, when were BB7's released again? And how heavy exactly is that trike fully loaded I would've been scared to hit them brakes the first time I'm sure. Even if they are the 'butter' of mech brakes from a decade ago.

I don't consider release date of a technology when picking it for a usage--there are some VERY old technologies that still work better for specific applications than newer versions. ;)

I do consider cost vs requirements, as my budget is always severely limited, so I sometimes have to choose things

These brakes have been serving me well for years, I just have to keep replacing pads as they wear out. :)

I have to slow or stop dozens of times in a couple of miles of riding to and from work five days a week, and the same for grocery trips with an extra mile or so on each direction of the trip, and a few hundred pounds of cargo on the way home.

The only issue I normaly have with any of these is that the front tire just doesn't have enough grip by itself to prevent skidding if I brake hard under some conditions (depends on the road surface, and what debris is on it; these are all car traffic lanes for the most part and damaged to severely damaged from those and the very hot weather and infrequent/incorrect/poor maintenance from the city).

So...it does heat up more than it is probably designed for...but it still even then provides enough braking force to skid the wheel, so still more braking than I can actually use.

Fully loaded weight? I don't know exactly, as I broke some scales trying to redneck a measurement :oops: but it's had over 300lbs (probably close to 400 once) of cargo in the back plus my just-under-200lbs, plus I think 300lbs of trike, plus let's just call it 50lbs+ of "etc." I might be carrying in the underseat cargo box.

I reduce the max speed to 15 or even 10mph for loads like that, instead of the usual max of 20mph, just because of the extra inertia and braking distance.

I have had a plan for years to rebuild the back end to accomodate the same brakes on the rear wheels too, but bad stuff has always come up when I have set aside the time to do it (and since I have to cut apart the trike frame to do this, it will take it out of service for a minimum of several days, assuming no problems with anything. Since it's my transportation, I can only do this when I have taken off work for sufficient time, and that has to be planned in advance).

So I do have regen braking on the rear wheels, which have better grip than the front for several reasons, but I don't use it very often as it is very hard on the controller, motor, and frame on the right side (it has the most useful braking force, much greater than that on the left, but teh rightside controller only has on/off braking and is not adjustable in any way, while hte left controller has variable regen but is very weak at its' best unadjustable force level. ) I had to rebuild the rightside clamping dropouts a while back because even with them the axle carved into them and spun during braking....

Last edited:
So...it does heat up more than it is probably designed for...but it still even then provides enough braking force to skid the wheel, so still more braking than I can actually use.

Incidental yes. Now imagine the horror situation where you just made an emergency stop because some moron stepped right in front of you without looking left or right... so your brakes are already 'to hot to touch'.

Next incident might result in a peak temp where you weld your pad stuck again and rip it up again ( or something ). And you now had enough braking ability left to not ever make that seem like an issue, but that's mostly due to the break pattern leaving a lot of flat contact area.

Are you 100% sure there are not two morons who might step in front of you in short succession? And your braking sucks with a skidding wheel, but is it better with fused pad's? At least skidding you have some control with modulation ( you should really load that wheel more, or move braking force to the back ( but you know this, and I'm preaching to the choir )).

I have had a plan for years to rebuild the back end to accomodate the same brakes on the rear wheels too, but bad stuff has always come up when I have set aside the time to do it (and since I have to cut apart the trike frame to do this, it will take it out of service for a minimum of several days, assuming no problems with anything. Since it's my transportation, I can only do this when I have taken off work for sufficient time, and that has to be planned in advance).

Only way around this is having a spare to take over transportation duties while you work on this one... again preaching to the choir more then likely 😂 )

editL On a more serious note though, even while you have your regen braking as backup you also say that you're afraid to use them since your frame might get mangled up. That would result in unavoidable unplanned downtime. I mean. you can't plan for everything, but you can plan for some things.

Incidental yes. Now imagine the horror situation where you just made an emergency stop because some moron stepped right in front of you without looking left or right... so your brakes are already 'to hot to touch'.

I use the solution of not riding close enough to others, and carefully watching everyone else around me, for this kind of thing to be much of an issue. ;)

Plus, me being required by law to be at half or less the speed everyone else is going means it is highly unlikely for this situation to occur.

Next incident might result in a peak temp where you weld your pad stuck again and rip it up again ( or something ). And you now had enough braking ability left to not ever make that seem like an issue, but that's mostly due to the break pattern leaving a lot of flat contact area.
Well, the pad hasn't welded to the rotor. Just a tiny bit of the spring clip that based on spacing, angles, pad wear, etc., of the pads that it was on there with, should not have even been able to touch the rotor, so something else had to happen to bend the clip to touch the rotor first, like a bit of road debris or something, I would guess.

At least skidding you have some control with modulation ( you should really load that wheel more, or move braking force to the back ( but you know this, and I'm preaching to the choir )).
Once the wheel skids, it's not controlled anymore, unless I release the braking enough to roll again, and then apply force enough to brake but not skid...either way if more stopping power is needed, it's not available once the wheel begins to skid, no matter what you do with modulation or control.

Needs more traction for that to happen, and as you say the options are more loading on the front wheel and/or brakes on the back.

I have drawn up ways to move significant weight to the front but it requires signficant changes to the structure and steering controls. Tiller is no longer possible, and it requires remote steering like CrazyBike2 had, because the only "good" way to move the weight up there is to move the battery compartment up there (would probably put 45lbs or more up there depending on how much material was required for the compartment and structure, including the battery itself). The battery is large flat cells, and could be split into two halves or four quarters easily enough, but it has to sit up fairly high becuase it must clear my legs moving around on the pedals, so it would interfere with the steering tiller. It can't go very far forward or it interferes with the actual fork, and cant' go back far because of my legs and the handlebars, and it can't go very high up or it interferes with seeing the road. That basically leaves sticking them out to the sides from around the top portion of the triangle and tiller area (assuming remote steering), and that means a very strong structure (taht must also be waterproof) to ensure all the road imperfections (holes, etc) don't shock-load the outer unsupported spans enough to break the battery boxes off. :( So I abandoned the idea of doing that.

Panniers on the actual front fork or that are frame mounted and stick out above the front wheel and/or to it's sides, clearing all the steerable area, also require significant structural strength to prevent failure under any unavoidable road hazard impacts (which I'm good at avoiding, but there are always ones I can't due to traffic around me at that instant).

Only way around this is having a spare to take over transportation duties while you work on this one... again preaching to the choir more then likely )
I have a shed with a pile of parts to build into the Cloudwalker Cargo Bike (there is a thread for it), but Kirin and then Yogi died right about the time I was getting into that project, and nothing has been the same since (in Luke's words, I have a bad motivator). Since then, one thing or another (situations, health, money, etc) have all gotten in the way of doing that or any of the other major projects I have. If I won the lottery so I could just do these things and not use up all my energy at a dayjob, I could probably finish a bunch of things...but it gets less and less likely that I'll be able to do them all the time. :/ Too many dreams, too little time, energy, and money.

editL On a more serious note though, even while you have your regen braking as backup you also say that you're afraid to use them since your frame might get mangled up. That would result in unavoidable unplanned downtime. I mean. you can't plan for everything, but you can plan for some things.
I plan for lots of things, and some of them even work out as planned. ;)

I don't think the frame will get mangled, but the axle on the motor could break, or more likely the excessive heating of the motor, controller, and cabling would cause a failure.

The braking on that wheel is not really regen, it actively fights the wheel rotation by providing current back to the motor in reverse of the direction it's trying to go, by using a function of the controller not intended for this purpose. This controller does not actually have regen or other ebraking, but it has an antitheft function that fights wheel rotation when turned on. So I wired that up to be engaged by the ebrake control system, and it makes an excellent brake...but not modulatable or adjustable. If it were used on a regular size/weight bike it would probably skid the wheel. :lol:

I even have a project that is about half done for replacing the controllers with ones that would certainly have enough braking and is modulatable, etc....but I haven't had the brain power to work on it when there was time, and not enough time when I had the brain power, so it's still sitting there.

:/

You're way to knowledgeable to feel lacking brainpower, I'm sure many here have had many an advice or suggestion from you even at your worst times.

Last edited:
The brakes themselves are sufficient to lock up the wheel and skid, so "better" ones wouldn't provide any better braking, if that's what you mean by "insufficient"?
I mean possibly more rotor mass to absorb some of the excessive heat generated. It tends to distribute itself along the rest of the braking system. The rotor may not even be the bottleneck regarding heat, but possibly the pads are.

If you have more than just a front braking system, rear brakes would take a massive amount of loading off of the front.

Your current system is obviously under-spec'd, going by your own description above.

Your fully loaded vehicle of 900 lbs at 15 mph with one brake has to dissipate the same kinetic energy per caliper/rotor as my electric velomobile with two brakes loaded at 250 lbs does at 40 mph.

I didn't really trust the BB7s after about 35 mph. I've since upgraded to hydraulic brakes, with good reason. I have panic stopped from 45+ mph with BB7s before, and each time, the rotors would glow red hot.

Last edited:
Well, it certainly gets hot--

I'm looking at picture 10 and I find myself wondering considering both your experience with the rotor temp and what I read below

I didn't really trust the BB7s after about 35 mph. I've since upgraded to hydraulic brakes, with good reason. I have panic stopped from 45+ mph with BB7s before, and each time, the rotors would glow red hot.

If you can get your rotors red hot before your brake pads, the issue isn't in the heat dissipation of the pads through thermal mass of the brake caliper and housing, but in a lack of thermal mass in the rotor.

That rotor on picture 10 looks skinnier then what I'm used to. I don't want to be a contrarian, and I have never even tried the bb7's, best mech brakes I know are the tektro's, and I am an avid proponent of hydraulic brakes due to their ease of use and maintenance compared with my experience with mechanical brakes of any kind, but maybe if you don't want to change calipers it could certainly pay off putting on the biggest fattest rotors you can mount ( with adapter? ).

If you can get your rotors red hot before your brake pads, the issue isn't in the heat dissipation of the pads through thermal mass of the brake caliper and housing, but in a lack of thermal mass in the rotor.

In my case, I'm going to thicker/heavier rotors. I haven't had spring failure issues as Amberwolf has. The hydraulic brakes work very well and the seller told me they were good for 40 mph. They stop much more harder, consistently and straight than the BB7s ever did, and don't require frequent adjustment.

Well, without other major (structural) changes to the trike to get much better traction up front, stopping harder isn't a feature that's useful in a front brake for it. It would just skid easier, and I don't want that. I have great modulation of braking force with these brakes, and more braking power than I can use (would still be available past the point it skids iff it didn't skid).

I'd rather use cable-operated brakes either way, because I can fix a broken cable pretty quickly in a few ways, roadside, and even carry a spare with no impact to my toolkit size (like carrying the spare pads). I don't know how much space would be needed for carryingg spare hoses, fluid, bleed tools, ettc.

To get a thicker rotor, I could probably modiffy one of the spare calipers (IIIRC I have four, one spare and two to be used on the rear if I ever get the chance to (heavily) modify the frame to use them) with a spacer between the (then) two halves inboard and outboard, to allow doubling up the rotor, along with slightly longer rotor bolts to secure them to the hub, and washers on the caliper mount to move the whole caliper outboard by that rotor thickness.

I guess I would have to cut the caliper in half along the rotor slot line, drill holes thru both halves at the top to bolt them together thru, and file up a spacer to fill the lost space plus a rotor thickness. (probably drill the holes first so I know they're straight thru)

I'm not sure what you would consider "frequent", but I don't have to adjust these more often than a few times a year, using the Avid pads that came with them (semi-metallic, IIRC). Using the cheap Dymoece pads they wear faster and have to be adjusted more, but they still do the job (I still prefer the Avid pads to them...tempted to try the Koolstop version, since KS pads have worked very very well on all of the rim brakes that I used before I got the BB7s).

Ideally I'd like to build a whole new trike; there are posts in this thread (and the mk2 version) describing the changes, and the saga of trying to buy some of the wheel/fork/etc parts (that fell thru because the seller just stopped talking to me after so much had been done to help them get the parts ready to sell me). I'd also like to build it from scratch from good strong light tubingg, but I don't think it would save all that much weight even unloaded...and compared to the loads I often need to carry, not really any difference at all. But it would be better designed, and stronger, at least. (and more cargo space better laid out)

I'm not sure what you would consider "frequent", but I don't have to adjust these more often than a few times a year, using the Avid pads that came with them (semi-metallic, IIRC). Using the cheap Dymoece pads they wear faster and have to be adjusted more, but they still do the job (I still prefer the Avid pads to them...tempted to try the Koolstop version, since KS pads have worked very very well on all of the rim brakes that I used before I got the BB7s).
I was having to adjust my BB7s once or twice a month. But my usage case was a bit different than yours. I cruised at 30-35 mph most of the time, sometimes operating it at its 50 mph top speed or even faster going downhill, and I was also putting close to 2,000 miles a month on it. I think the latter especially had a lot to do with my adjustment intervals.

I'm only doing about 150ish miles a month most of the time, around 5-6 miles a day typically. I don't often do the kind of long rides I used to.

I meant to take a look at my calipers to see how easy they would be to modiffy as described, but forgot...so an image search turns this up
1691728047144.png
which appears to show it already is two parts bolted together, so all I have to make is a spacer and get longer bolts for it and the rotor, and washers and longer bolts for mountingg the caliper to the fork, to accommodate the extra rotor's thickness.

Does this sound practical?

If that doesn't soudn practical, then somewhere around here I have a couple of drumbrake IGH SA rear wheels from those jump bikes. It would take a bit of work but I could create slip-on clamp-down fork tubes that give me 135mm dropout spacing on the front fork, to install this on there. I already have a pair of heavy-duty thick pedicab dropouts that were intended for this fork's original design, that could be used for this modification.

I'd leave the original 100-110mm (not sure which) dropouts in place so that I can just swap between the wheel I'm using now with the disc brakes, and the drumbrake wheel, for testing purposes. I can just keep the disc wheel in the back of the trike in case something doesn't work out while out riding, during the testing and break-in process.

I can build the wider-dropout tubes without leaving the trike unrideable, and then it should only take a day to install them and make sure I can swap between wheels reasonably quickly. Testing then can proceed as time permits, and then riding in real world conditions.

(the caliper modification and double rotor would also be somethingg I can undo roadside if necessary).

Had an odd tube problem on the right rear wheel a few days ago (friday, IIRC). Clcoked out from work and found the tire almost completely flat. Tried airing it hoping for a slow leak, and was rewarded; couldn't hear any hiss, so tightned the valve core in the stem just in case (didn't move, but...you know how these can be). Rode home with no issues, no pressure difference I could measure once at home.

Let it sit for several hours and rechecked, and was approaching flatness... :(

Rolled the trike on it's side, took the wheel off, popped the bead, and felt around inside for any sharpies that could poke the tube, and found nothing. Aired up the tube in-place and felt no leak, so pulled the tube and put it in the sink under water to watch where the bubbles would come from.

Found them on a seam (of course, since that's the hardest place to patch reliably). That seam has a tiny dimple in it, just about a dozen times bigger than the pinhole leak. So I scraped the seam down to surface level, sanded the area, applied glue, let it dry and applied the patch, and clamped it together between some wood with a big C-clamp to help ensure full-area adhesion.

Since i still had a new spare tube, I used that and saved this repaired one for a potential on-road repair, after testing it in an old tire on a bare new spare rim (so I didn't have to deal with doing it on the wheel itself, then undoing it if there were problems).

Been on the new tube for several rides since then, no problems.

Haven't yet done any work on the front brake. (too hot outside even at night to work on anything out there that isn't absolutely necessary).

Found them on a seam (of course, since that's the hardest place to patch reliably). That seam has a tiny dimple in it, just about a dozen times bigger than the pinhole leak. So I scraped the seam down to surface level, sanded the area, applied glue, let it dry and applied the patch, and clamped it together between some wood with a big C-clamp to help ensure full-area adhesion.
I'm surprised it wasn't leaking from a crack in the valve stem. Most of the time, that is where I've had tubes fail.

I'd recommend trying the thicker rotor and longer bolt for the brake caliper and see how that does. That is the "solution" with the least amount of time/work invested, and it will allow you to either confirm or eliminate potential sources for your problem.

Some time back I stopped using bicycle tubes on the rear wheels and use the TR4 all-metal threaded valve stem MC/moped tubes instead, to prevent that valve stem separation problem, which has plagued bicycle tubes I have used for as long as I've been riding (which is a looong time :lol: ). I also use those tubes because they're way thicker than bicycle tubes and thus less prone to the seam problem, too, as well as being less prone to punctures (or worse, a pinpoint puncture expanding into a tear in thin bicycle tubes).

I still have to use bicycle tubes on the front 26" wheel, but I try to find ones made by CST where possible (best rubber usage, best consistency in molding, etc); haven't had this kind of failure with those in a long time...but I do have to ensure the front is always aired up properly so the tire can't slip on the rim and drag the tube around (which can rip the valve stem off) from braking forces.

Once I have time and it's cooler I'll try out the caliper mod. I just have to make the plate to fill the space, which I can do indoors in "spare time" :lol: and then fit it once it's cooler outside, which is probably not happenign for at least a month or two, based on current temperature trends (we have had two 120F days where I live in just the past week; it may cool a bit for the next few days as the clouds cover us whether it rains or not (probably won't), but the humidity increase makes it just about as hot to actually be out there as if it were dry and hotter. :(

You might want to consider building up a 19" motorcycle wheel to replace the 26" bicycle wheel. The vehicle is already so big and heavy that it is reliant upon the motor, and the rolling resistance loss from the high Crr tire and heavier wheel may not even give a noticeable impact on range.

You might want to consider building up a 19" motorcycle wheel to replace the 26" bicycle wheel.
21" is a better dimensional match.

No matter where it's getting its energy, a thick heavy pig of a wheel and tire is still a power sink and a bummer. It's a step along the "more is more" treadmill that ends up with idiots driving 7000 pound codpieces in soul crushing traffic at 10 mph.

Good tip on the CST tubes - for my trikes' 20" (406) and 26"(559) I started using Schwalbe-branded tubes, maybe some three years back, and have had great success - no punctures (but the tires may be the reason) - a side benefit has been that there seems to be very little air loss over time compared to the no-name tubes I had been using. I can put 60psi in these, and a week later, it's still all there. I am using Presta tubes, and I do think it is important to occasionally tighten the valve stems.

Since i don't have problems with the front wheel using bicycle tires, I dont' really have a reason to convert it to the heavier wheel types. Even if I do have a flat roadside on it (hasn't happened yet that I can recall) its' pretty easy to access and work on, pretty much the same as any bicycle front wheel would be (if you couldn't flip the bike over to work on it). I have considered it several times over the years, but there's more downside than up, and just wouldn't be worth doing at this point.

I only did this on the rear because it's virtually impossible to do roadside tire / tube work if something happens when I am hauling cargo, and even without that it's difficult at best. When it's 110-120F in the shade, I'd pretty much be stuck with riding home on the flat and living with whatever that does to the wheel itself.

With the moped tires and tubes, I almost never get flats (whereas they happened too frequenlty with the bicycle tires/tubes, despite using multiple layers to thicken the rubber between the air and the road, slime protection strips, etc--all the things that worked on larger diameter wheels with less load on them just didn't help enough on the heavily loaded small rear wheels).

I can also use cheap moped tires and tubes, and they last much longer than the same grippiness version of a bicycle tire, and it's easy enough to get larger-volume tires that give me just that much more road-bump absorption (as this thing has no suspension).

I have several ways to make it easier to service, roll over things better, and just generally work better, but they all require a complete rebuild of the rear end, with a different design, and that isn't going to happen on this trike--it has to happen on the "Mk II" version. I have a thread for that version here:
and would really like to build it. But I'll probably first have to custom-build myself some single-ended hubs and axles for the wheels, then build wheels from them. Probably 29" for easiest rolling over bumps with no suspension, if I can find a reliable source of tough thick road-type tires with good grip, that don't cost too much to replace as often as necessary (and I'll start out with at least five wheels to build and complete, three for the trike and two spares, at least one of which will actually stay on the trike itself as a "continental kit". Anyway, I have to make so much custom stuff for it that must take a lot of load and be "100%" reliable, that it's a "someday" project at this point. (one of the hardest things is probably the "stites" type transfer shaft from the downtube-side pedal drivetrain up and over / around the headset to the fork-side pedal drivetrain to the front wheel, as I don't know enough detail of how exactly he built those for the TrikeTrucks to "easily" replicate it with whatever stuff I have around here).

The only modification I can really do to this existing version to make it easier to do roadside flat repair is still significant change and can't be done until I have a second transportation method. This is to cut the outboard frame away entirely from around the wheel, and add overlapping bolt-thru plates to the cut ends on trike and frame, so that it could be unbolted and access to teh wheel made without tipping the trike over on it's side (which si the only good safe way there is to do this at present). I will probably never do this, though.

21" is a better dimensional match.
Depends upon the tire size used.
No matter where it's getting its energy, a thick heavy pig of a wheel and tire is still a power sink and a bummer. It's a step along the "more is more" treadmill that ends up with idiots driving 7000 pound codpieces in soul crushing traffic at 10 mph.
The 16x2.25" Mitas MC2 I have in the rear of my trike hasn't been noticeably more difficult to pedal than the 20x1.5" Schwalbe Marathon Plus it replaced. The extra weight is only barely noticeable during acceleration with the disabled motor, but once the trike is up to speed the effort to maintain that speed is the same, maybe even slightly easier(I wish I had a good means to measure that). Although the Marathon Plus is often described as a "boat anchor" in the recumbent trike and velomobile community, so it's not a high bar to match or beat regarding efficiency.

Soon I will have them on the front wheels as well. It will prove an interesting test. I did find some 16x1.5" 32-spoke rims after tens of hours of searching that I had to import from Italy, to build up strong DOT front wheels out of.

In the case of Amberwolf's machine, it appears that it's already damned-near unpedalable without the motor. The extra reliability to be gained would more than make up for any increase in energy consumption. I predict that a good, solid DOT wheel and tire up front on his trike would only make a 3-5 Wh/mile difference in consumption for his riding conditions, if that.

I'm looking forward to the energy/resource crisis that takes these 7,000 lb codpieces off the road. And good riddance.

Vehicles are definitely build backwards from what the laws of physics recommend. Modern vehicles start with something oversized/overpriced and then remove the bare minimum to satisfy the revenue goals of boardroom executives, whereas if the goal is efficient transportation and saving money, we should start from the minimum and only add what is necessary. Amberwolf's trike has slightly less than what is necessary judging by the issues it keeps having. Upgrading the front wheel/tire/brake would solve a lot of its issues, without turning it into a 7,000 lb codpiece.

I'm certainly enjoying my < 100 lb codpiece. Once I put 72V to it, I'll be able to mess with cars at stoplights.

Haven't gotten to the caliper mod yet, but will shortly be lacing up a spare motor into a spare rim (as soon as the spokes get here from ebikes.ca along with some other stuff***), because that bent-flange rim decided to unfold tthe bent part on it's own and is now separating it from the rim body progressively. It wasn't this way during that last flat repair nearly a month ago above, so it is sometime between then and now (I do check things weekly and dont' recall seeing this last week, but I might've missed the first stage of it bending back outward from the flattened state, before it began actually splitting).
20230921_164153.jpg20230921_164209.jpg

It's taken several years for this to finally fail, though. Here's a pic from 2019 when I laced this motor into this already-damaged rim (didn't have many choices at the time), the damaged area is at the lower left corner of the image, farthest from Jelly's tail.
1695353530194.png

EDIT:
found the post from when the rim was damaged, February 2018. It's not as bad as it is in the later image, so there must've been some subsequent impact I didn't find a post for (could be there just skipped in my quick skim of the thread for these images). I vaguely recall the event happening but no details, so...
1695354001096.png 1695354016852.png

*** I've put off ordering spokes because the shipping costs almost as much as the spokes, or else I'd already have a spare wheel to swap in...so the order includes two sets of spokes and a few spares in case I screw some up somehow, and the necessary cables to connect up the Phaserunner v6 L10 I won from Grin's Project Gallery contest for this:

Submit your project
and you might also win something. :)

Worth a try!

Last edited:
Another blip in the endless fixit log:

On the way to work today, the completely unexpected happened, and the inboard axle of the Ultramotor broke (what would be the drive side if I were using it that way). The motor's outboard (brake side) axle stayed in the clamping dropout, so I was still able to get to work, and after work I put the broken stub into the inboard clamp in a way that kept the rest of the motor axle from swinging upward, so that the wheel would turn easier (tire still rubs on the frame, making an intensely annoying noise) and be less likely to just snap the outboard axle too, then rode home about 10mph avoiding every possible imperfection in the road surface with that wheel that I could.

The spokes to build the new motor wheel arrived today (with another motor and rim I already have) but I am not sure I can physically do the work right now; exhausted from work and barely able to type this in, fudge fingered and havintg to correct almost every word. Gonna rest a bit first and see what happens.

I have the GMAC in a narrow 20" rim that might *maybe* fit the Shinko tires I use (not sure there's enough room for both beads around the valve stem area), if it will then the motor itself should fit in the dropouts on the right side (it won't fit the leftside because those aren't yet wide enough for an unmodified rear motor). I hope this will work because if I don't have to do too much futzing around i can just do this for tomororw's commute and build the new wheel sunday when I'm less likelyt o screw it up somehow, and spend more time resting (i'd like to say sleeping but tha'ts not usually what happens).

Pics of the broken axle end and stub shoved up in there, from the inbaord side, underneath--top of the trike is toward the wooden bottom of the trike painted white.

also pic of the worsening rim edge failure.

Attachments

• 20230929_174817.jpg
    20230929_174817.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 20230929_174823.jpg
    20230929_174823.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 10
  • 20230929_174927.jpg
    20230929_174927.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230929_175009.jpg
    20230929_175009.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230929_175055.jpg
    20230929_175055.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 10
Is this happened maybe because drive side wasn't tightened by a nut? Seems like being a bit loose in the torque part caused fatique.

Or we should be more afraid the tiny and hollow QR axle ends to snap too. :/

Back