what is minimum solar power for e-bike operation

myzter

1 kW
Anybody have any ideas why it is interesting to know the minimum solar energy needed to power an e-bike forward ?

15 watts @ 3 volts confirmed
[youtube]nrZlINxBeag[/youtube]

The video doesn't show this part but... I have since confirmed, I'am able to sit down on the bike seat and slowly be moving forward on a level path by just 15 watts of solar energy. That test was nearly a month ago in middle of winter in Northern Alberta, Canada.. The energy output should be increasing as the sun is getting closer.

Next stage is to test the full solar fairing, upwards of 72 watts of potential solar power @ 3 volts only.
I imagine I will be able to grab a couple gears out of the 9 sprocket cassette, the drivetrain is in LOW gear..
which means the sprocket Im pedaling is only 18 teeth sprocket.
High gear is 38 tooth sprocket..

this ebike can also drift and burnout

Congratulations. I know how exiting it is to see a working experiment.

Anyway, under ideal condition (smooth flat road, calm day, properly inflated tires...) 15 watts is enough to propel a bicycle/rider to about 6 km/hr after accounting for efficiency loss in the motor/controller. 70 watts should get you up to 15kph under the same condition.

Keep on experimenting and having fun.

Thanks SamTexas

On firm, flat ground, a 70 kg (150 lb) person requires about 30 watts to walk at 5 km/h (3.1 mph)[citation needed]. That same person on a bicycle, on the same ground, with the same power output, can average 15 km/h (9.3 mph), so energy expenditure in terms of kcal/(kg·km) is roughly one-third as much. Generally used figures are
1.62 kJ/(km∙kg) or 0.28 kcal/(mi∙lb) for cycling,
3.78 kJ/(km∙kg) or 0.653 kcal/(mi∙lb) for walking/running,
16.96 kJ/(km∙kg) or 2.93 kcal/(mi∙lb) for swimming.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_performance

That's amazing! The sun is low too, it might work a little better where I live.
I've been reading about graphene and its photovoltaic properties. Very impressive. If it is more efficient it could make this viable
A graphene jacket perhaps?

this project of yours sounds awesome. Im actually getting ready to fiberglass my recumbent trikes velomobile body-i have 3 flexible solar panels integrated right into the body ~48v-60watts.
keep us posted!

Another video I made showing a solar powered e-bike running without any batteries :
[youtube]go9vbhrXoEU[/youtube]

Back