Wireless Wii Nunchuck *TESTERS WANTED

....which is what I thought, until i plugged the darn thing into a Wii remote and it worked perfectly......i suppose it could be a voltage leak in the Nyko PBA somewhere leeching across from the data lines ? very irritating, to say the least =/

I don't know what it could be. Check that you're giving it 3.3v properly, maybe it doesn't like that. The nyko receiver should power up without a data signal. If that little light doesn't even blink, something weird is going on. The other nunchucks need power too, so it sounds like that part is correct, but it's something to test.

Okies - just metered it out - bang on 3.3v ( on a dedicated PSU at the moment on the bench) connecting the ESC doesn't seem to be making any difference, either. The serial monitor is logging that it's "waiting for activity" oddly.....

i've had the cover off the receiver, and the ATT wire is connected to the PBA - if I disconnect it (the wire) the receiver wont power up in a std Wii remote. So i tried spiking a feed of data / 3.3 to the att - still nothing. ** sulk**

If I had an occilliscope i could probs work out whats going on. Think i'll just cut my losses and find another cheap (???) nyko or memorex here in bighty.

Thanks for the thoughts, though - very much appreciated ! :)

I have got the same problem with my nyko nunchuck!
What type of nyko nunchuck do you have because it seems that there are two types. The one on the right is a newer nyko nunchuck,
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/18mkai3jfhh2hjpg.jpg

I have got the one on the left. And I have got the same problem as you. It works perfect when I connect it to a Wii remote, but when I connect it to my ardiuno it just doesn't power up.

Would be nice of someone has a solution for this.

Mines the one on the LEFT dude. I feel your pain.

I've been digging some more and it seems that the ruddy things need a specific init code to be sent for the receiver to "wake up". I'm up to my elbows in code ATM trying to get it to work, but i'm probably going to cut my losses and try to find a different chuck.... very irritating.

Odd - sp it must be an init thing somewhere. In my case, yeah - flashed a Nano, and my Uno. The receiver is powered from the 3.3v line, and GND. Then analogue pins 4&5 for the SDK/SCL. I know the wiring is sound as all the other chucks are fine.

dirtyrhino said:
Mines the one on the LEFT dude. I feel your pain.

I've been digging some more and it seems that the ruddy things need a specific init code to be sent for the receiver to "wake up". I'm up to my elbows in code ATM trying to get it to work, but i'm probably going to cut my losses and try to find a different chuck.... very irritating.

Made a little mistake, I too have the one on the left (said the right in my previous message)! So it seems to be the problem with this particulair type of nunchuck i=I guess.

It's deffo the receiver - and I'm sure it's waiting for either a specific packet to belt down the att pin, or a very similar requirement for a packet to wake the damn thing.

I've had three different parts of code running on varying 'chucks and they all work, but not consistently.
One wireless copy from China does communicate nicely, but every so often, it drops the connection to the chuck, and then re connects - and only when it's being fed voltage from the board. From a clean supply it's fine, but then it won't communicate with the ardy.

No doubt the code is great - and it does the job when using the hardware it was designed for - but I've given up bashing my head and keyboard trying to "make it fit" with this chuck in front of me. My son is happy tho, he's got a nicenew wireless chuck to play skylanders =p

guys, I have a silly question that has been bugging me for a while... how do you make sure you have a reliable connection to the receiver?
two issues comes to mind :
1. the nyko kama is using 2AA batteries, I can't seem to find if the Nunchuck warns us before it might run out of juice...
I can't imagine what it would be like loosing breaks downhill...
2. what do you do to get a better connection? sometimes just using the far hand from the receiver gives me connection problems - anyone managed to increase the nyko kama range?
forgive me if these questions have been answered before, tried to search and couldn't find any information.
thank you.

viper said:
I can't imagine what it would be like loosing breaks downhill...

You don't want to know :) but I can't told you I think this is what has happened to me last saturday... at 25/30MPH. Full stop.

I am now removing the nunchuck and going for a more reliable receiver, a car 3CH one. I think nunchuck is good but I will not be using it anymore at high speed.

I don't think it was the Wiiceiver that caused the brakes. Perhaps, you may have your brake settings a bit too high? The Wii Nunchuck joystick is sensitive and if you hit brakes hard it will throw you off unless you lower it so it's more of a slight brake.

tim.lawrenz said:
I have a similar issue when I accelerate too hard: the motor would just block.

Are you referring to the Wiiceiver? Don't think I've had that issue before. I can barely accelerate too hard. That's actually smoothing on the Wiiceiver so the max speed is increments of 1s as it's very easy to jam the throttle forward.

Eww, sorry. My comment was offtopic. I don't think it's the remote, it is either the ESC or the motor.

so... anything we can do to make sure the batteries are good? don't mind modding the Nunchuck a bit with a led /buzzer?
and anyone modified the receiver's antenna?

Hi, finally i can test the wireless wii nunchuck, and i have to say that i have some issues, first the connection, i have lots of problems with that, i dont know why but in the middle of the ride i lose signal and then two thinks happens to me, the first one was that the longboard still going at the same velocity that i was when the signal was lose, and the other one was when i was breaking thease does't work because of losesingal.

Is that normal? That happens with all recivers?

It's my first electric longboard and now i'm buying another signal/reciver method but still i want de wii reciver.

Another thing that can be nice is program the acceleration smoothly because the joystick is too sensitive and when un push hard the e-longobard accelerate too hard. My ESC programations are at 30% of accelerations and i think that is correct, just the joystick is to sensitive.

well thats for all!

@Viper - You can use a servo wire extension and place the Wiiceiver on the top of the deck and/or away from the enclosure. See if that fixes things.

@Dr1zZt - Do you have a ferrite ring attached onto your esc signal wire?

Where is your Wiiceiver located? What version of Wiiceiver do you have on your Wiiceiver? If you have an arduino uno, you should be able to update to the latest version. I would start with that.

What ESC are you using as well? What areas are you riding in (Ex. Heavily populated, cities)?

It doesn't happen with all Wiiceivers. It seems to depend most on environment. Mine is fine all the time except for heavily populated areas in the city which I ride through.

If you update to the latest version - the acceleration should be fixed.

The joystick is very sensitive as it is a joystick throttle. It's very easy to push the joystick forward. The latest version has smoothing in which you can't jam the throttle forward and the speed will accelerate over the course of a few seconds.

Is there a link for instructions for 'popping the atmega' off of the uno/updating the wiiceiver with an uno? I have an uno but it seems super sketchy to just pop off the mega.. it's soldered on ya? Will it damage the board/processor by doing so? need to re-solder to put it back on (assuming no damage)?

You can use a very small flat head and pop it up slowly or what you can use is an IC puller.

pullersmall.jpg

The Atmel has pins which are into the housing. They are easily removable with the iC puller. Make sure not to damage any of the pins.

Back