Xenforo conversion thread

amberwolf, nicobie, and other members of staff;
I believe i finally fixed the moderation privileges for you, please report in!

Any pointers for something like the old active threads pages?

I hate to say it but Xenforo is a little different in this regard!
I like the old displays too... and interested in looking into how we can get those familiar parts back.

Server surgeries are done for the day and near future.

I can see which threads I have posted in, and which threads I watch. Also which topics there are new posts in, but I dont understand how I see which threads that have new (unread) posts?
I also miss the way in which threads with new messages in the old system would be bolded and the rest would not be. Was a nice, quick way to know which threads to jump into.

Looks like the threads I'm talking about carry a specific class, as well: .structItem--thread .is-unread so that should be possible to CSS target at some point.

I miss the specific view counter on the threads. It was fun to watch the 40-50- hits a day on new posts. Now it just shows 3k views. I won't see anything until 4K ? How will I know if the thread is dead? It's really the only incentive I had to keep the thread up to date.
Just granted your wish :)

Makes sense because we have a lot of little forums that don't get much eyeballs and 1k can be 1k forever!

So hey, the 'ebike troubleshooting' forum is now a question/answer format FYI.

You mean "New posts" in the upper, left corner?
Then I see all new posts in the forum. I want to see which threads there are unread replys in, in the topic I am in at the moment.

I also miss the way in which threads with new messages in the old system would be bolded and the rest would not be. Was a nice, quick way to know which threads to jump into.

Added this feature - thanks to a plugin.

For the record, everything is 'new' to the entire forum and it will take about a month for the read/unread states to 'settle'.

Last edited:
Any pointers for something like the old active threads pages?
Somewhere within the maze of options in the 'what's new' section and the 'forums' subsection at the top is what you're looking for.

I'm interested simplifying the 'forums' and 'what's new' sections into something a lot simpler in the future.

Apologies for possibly retreading previously discussed things, as I'm so tired (beyond exhausted, but can't sleep) that I have already forgotten if this was covered, but it doesn't appear to have imported followed and ignored memberlists in my profile.
Unfortunately Xenforo just doesn't import these and everyone will have to set theirs up again :/

Another thing - links in some people's signatures are sometimes not actual links or are otherwise screwy..
This is because our forum was on the same software for 18 years and went through multiple phases of what it considered acceptable BB code.
During the import, Xenforo scrubs the PHPBB data ( good ) but throws out what it doesn't understand ( bad ).

We wrote a script that fixed a good % of these but i suggest everyone give their sig a look to make sure things look OK.

It's so nice to be able to reply and not have to sort quotes and code. However simple that code was I found it frustrating. Nice!
I've been a web developer for 14 years now and i found it annoying too :)

Cheers for WYSIWYG editing finally!!!

Another conversion issue that could have been discussed and I just forgot; it doesn't seem to have linkified URLs such as the ones here
and others generally; numerous examples on that page:

Other posts in teh same thread where I had used PHPBB URL tags it does seem to have correctly done the job.

I'm looking at the raw phpbb data and see that the URLs were posted/written without a URL tag yet still show up as links.
In fact i had no idea phpbb even did this and used the URL tag all the time.

We have written some thread processing code and it may be possible to fix these links in an automated fashion because there is no telling how many people used that functionality!

This is a little backwards but for the moment ( we may need to hack on the WYSIWYG editor itself ), when linking you should use the little URL icon.

I noticed that some of my old youtube links no longer link. If you announced that they would not link then I missed the announcement.

:)⚡

@ neptronix
Oh, hey. I forget to congratulate you on all the hard work!!!

I noticed that some of my old youtube links no longer link. If you announced that they would not link then I missed the announcement.

:)⚡
Quite a while ago we went over this and had to write a processor for it but could never really get 'perfect' results.
It is possible you missed it & this wasn't vetted well during the public preview.

Can you give me some example threads where the youtube links are busted?

Dunno if anyone else saw this but for me, my timezone was set to something goofy and the times on the forum looked all messed up..

Did your timezone transfer?

ES timezones.png

One last thing before i head out.
I restored the old smilies, but they now don't really 'fit' the other smilies/emojis in terms of style.
Many cannot be selected anymore but should show up in old content :)

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the new emoji picker however because there's more in there than we could think of adding. :)

Some unique ones like the ES logo are kept, pending a redesign that fits the other emojis: :es:

Quite a while ago we went over this and had to write a processor for it but could never really get 'perfect' results.
It is possible you missed it & this wasn't vetted well during the public preview.

Can you give me some example threads where the youtube links are busted?

Top of the page #551

Thanks Nep for all the hard work!
It could have already been like this, but I noticed that my profile had date of birth sharing details enabled under privacy. I don't have my DOB entered so it's not problem for me, but if that setting is being enabled for people following the upgrade it could be bad. Ideally that would not even be a thing we record/publish at all as it's an unnecessary security risk.
Cheers

Thanks Nep for all the hard work!
It could have already been like this, but I noticed that my profile had date of birth sharing details enabled under privacy. I don't have my DOB entered so it's not problem for me, but if that setting is being enabled for people following the upgrade it could be bad. Ideally that would not even be a thing we record/publish at all as it's an unnecessary security risk.
Cheers

Agreed!

I looked at this and it should be that this field is blank on all accounts because it is a xenforo-specific field and therefore doesn't have any data in it.
'show birthday' is a default setting for all imported accounts but for all new accounts going forward, it will be disabled even if you enter it.

According to some new user accounts, i don't see the birthday being entered, so i'm sure Xenforo isn't requiring it.

I also removed some superfluous fields that were imported from phpbb; no reason that filling out the profile should be a giant questionnaire, most people just want to enter a website and youtube channel at most!

G'day dudes.
I'm working on visual tweaks today.

Did you know if you hover over 'like', you can select a couple different 'reactions', as you would on facebook?

hover like.png

Okay, done with a CSS editing round; top and bottom menu link colors fixed, forum subtitles restored, fixed lots of spacing, user profile settings was missing a border, etc etc!

The background color on posts is a tiny bit darker for those who complained that the site is too bright, hopefully this helps a little.

I have disabled the 'media gallery' plugin because it looks like across the xenforo world, people don't really use it. A number of people have asked what it's for, and i'm scratching my head as to what it's use is!

Back