What did I get myself into ?

Dantech

1 mW
Thanks for having me here !
I just purchased an e-bike, so this is my first post here and I will need lots of help because I am a total noob when it comes to E-bikes. I'm very mechanically inclined so I'm looking forward to this new project.
I purchased an older A2B (2010?) bike but it's not in running condition and has no batteries. My initial plan is to use an aftermarket controller and build my own battery pack. Since I'm new to this, I will need help selecting the correct components. One thing I want to do is to retain the factory display that came with the bike, but don't know if aftermarket controllers will be compatible with it. If not, then I will opt for a new display. Can't wait to start working on it.
Dan

That's a tough first project imho.. because you not only have to learn the basics of ebikes, but also how to fix a proprietary system that is not documented well.

Many of those bikes also have had the controller go out in the motor... so you would have to either replace the motor or run a standard 3 phase + hall wiring out of it.. not something i would have done as a newbie, but it is doable.

If the motor is busted and it is not possible to run all 8 wires out of it ( IE not enough space in the axle opening ), then you need a new motor, then a new controller, then a new screen.

I had one of these bikes and determined it was too big of a pain in the ass, and sent it back to whence it came.

The motor was rebuilt with new hall sensors, so it should be fine. I built a CNC mill from scratch as well as a CNC plasma table, so figuring out this e-bike shouldn't be impossible, Like you said, I will need to learn the basics.Using the original electronics is really not what I plan on doing for the exact reason you mentioned, no documentation. I could just go out and buy a new bike, but I'm not going to learn too much in doing that. If all else fails, I'll put a V-twin in it ! :lol:

Well, building a bike from a regular bike frame ( your a2b frame weighs 11-16 pounds ! ) and zero electrics is probably the best electronics learning experience you could ever have. It's how a lot of us started.

Dantech said:
One thing I want to do is to retain the factory display that came with the bike, but don't know if aftermarket controllers will be compatible with it.
Unless you can figure out the communications protocol of that display and the new controller, and make something that translates the one to the other, the display is only usable with the original controller.

So if you're not up for that intense project ;) then you should get a controller that comes with it's own display, and make sure before getting it that it displays the info you want in the way you want it.

Also, that it is programmable or settable in the ways you need it to be--every controller model and brand is different, and generally not intercompatible with any other one.

If you use a KT series controller and display, then you can look up Casainho / Stancecoke / etc's thread(s) about their open-source firmware replacement which would let you customize both display and controller function; I don't know the details but their threads will tell you that.

Probably the motor itself is one of the Ultramotors, perhaps with internal controller. If so, you can go here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86600
to see how I took the puck out of mine and put external phase/hall wires in to use it with an external controller (which should happen in hte next couple weeks).

FWIW, Fechter has a thread for his A2B that covers a number of things you'll probably wanna know about.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50590

Thanks for all that great info ! I will start a build thread in the appropriate section.

Back