Wanting to upgrade my display

trauth

1 µW
After seeing some VERY helpful and patient replies on another thread I decided to make an account and bring my query here in hopes of help from those more educated then me in this area. I consider myself pretty tech/electronics savvy but I'm new to e-bikes.

Recently I bought a Hiboy P6 fat tire bike. It's 48v 750w with a Bafang g062 rear hub motor and an unknown controller that even the website is no help describing. I've since learned that it's a pretty standard/generic ebike almost identical to many other Chinese made e-bikes being sold these days but I love it nonetheless. I would however like to upgrade the display to something like in the top right of the aliexpress listing I'll attach. I was told by Hiboy support however that the display it comes with is the only one compatible with the bike, but I'm not convinced that's true. It comes with an EN06 display (I'll attach image) but the one on my bike actually has "www.hiboy.com" stamped on it as though it's a specific version of the EN06 that's specific to the bike. I also think that because when reading about other EN06 displays online they have 10+ advanced settings available while mine only has 3.

With all of that being said my question is: do you think there are any compatible displays that would potentially work with the controller already in the bike and if so what would they be? (I realize without any info on the controller answering that is nearly impossible sorry). But if not, would getting a controller/display package such as the one on aliexpress in the image I attached work and be easy enough to swap out since it says it's compatible with the motor my bike has? Or what options do I have in this situation that are worth doing or spending the money on in your opinion?

Sorry for the long winded post but I was hoping to give as much info and details from the get go so that hopefully answering my questions would be easier from the get go.
I took some pictures of the wiring of my controller I'll attach in case they help and a picture of the replacement controller available on Hiboy website although it provides no information on it. I'm also curious what that 4 wired connector that isn't connected to anything else that's coming from my controller is supposed to be for after seeing it the other day and not being able to find an answer elsewhere if anybody has any guesses on that as well lol.

Thanks in advance for anyone's input.

IMG_2189.jpeg

image.jpgIMG_2191.pngIMG_2190.png

My first thought from your description. you are lacking modes that your unit should have. Is it that they are selling a modified unit?

My thought is that yup, might want to try an original one to see if that gives you the missing functions back.

I mean if having those would make the difference you are looking for. If not.. Nevermind, forget I asked (I either need less, or more coffee)

It seems to be modified yeah. And customer support is very sketchy...I emailed asking what the extra wires/connector coming out of the controller that don't connect to anything were for and they just replied simply saying "no need to connect that to anything. Regards, support". I mean what's that about?? lol... but anyway, I was really just more interested in getting a cooler looking fancier display preferably that mounted in the center of the handlebars that's what I was hoping for. And I assume I'll need a different controller to make that happen I'm just not sure what's compatible with what.

…but I love it nonetheless. I would however like to upgrade the display to something like in the top right of the aliexpress listing I'll attach. I was told by Hiboy support however that the display it comes with is the only one compatible with the bike, but I'm not convinced that's true.

Or what options do I have in this situation that are worth doing or spending the money on in your opinion?

I took some pictures of the wiring of my controller I'll attach in case they help and a picture of the replacement controller available on Hiboy website although it provides no information on it.
As the old saying goes, don’t try to fix it if it ain’t broke. Their reply is likely 100% true. Ebike displays are manufacturer specific, and sometimes controller model specific, and in your case, for a factory ebike, likely only compatible with that brand or model bike.
If you love the bike, why not just have fun riding it? If the display lacks certain data needed while riding, then if you describe that, perhaps there’s another way to obtain it.
The controller picture does have information (a picture is worth a 1000 words), at least enough to show the alliexpress unit is not compatible with your motor, unless you want to cut off the motor cable harness and solder up a new harness and connectors.
So, I guess the question is, what exactly is lacking from the existing display, and how much work and money you want to spend on it?

I was really just more interested in getting a cooler looking fancier display preferably that mounted in the center of the handlebars that's what I was hoping for.

Oh. I couldn’t put a price tag on that. For me it would be zero.

I’d put that money toward a Suntour suspension seat post.

Last edited:
I've got an upgraded seat with suspension already and taken care of any quality of life things other then not being able to get around the speed limiter, but from what I can tell 28mph is pretty much pushing the motor I have to its limit without getting into potentially overheating territory so I stopped bothering to figure that out. Now I'm just left trying to make it look nicer. But silly me I went with purple accents instead of red so now it won't go faster :( lmao. Well thanks for the help guys I appreciate the input. I'll leave it be...for now... lol.

Back