Not Another Electric Enduro Bike

EVGator

10 mW
I am starting a new thread with an EEB that I bought from ES user shortcircuit911 who happens to be a super solid dude and did great work building the bike. I had a Voloci rolling chassis that I was planning to use for an ebike build starting back in July, but it was unfortunately lost in transit (shipping freight sucks thanks to Covid this year) and hasn't been found since. So I decided to find something that was mostly complete to save time so that I can get to riding quicker.

The bike is mostly complete but needs a motor controller and wiring to run. The motor is a QS 120 70h 2000w model and I've got a Kelly KLS7245N controller to slap onto it. Regarding the performance of the drivetrain, shortcircuit911 said in his thread, "Top speed is around 44 mph, pulled just under 12kw, 350A phase, 100A battery." - that was using a Mobipus 72200 controller. The battery I'll be using is a custom build from EM3ev. 20S10P using Samsung 25R 18650s and a dumb BMS. Since the BMS doesn't communicate data out, I will need a solution for coulomb counting and keeping track of the current during charge and discharge. Rather than buy a cycle analyst or other off the shelf option, I have decided to build a DAQ based around an ARM STM32 microcontroller. I will also be able to pull all of the data from the Kelly using CAN. I have experience with electronics and programming and have decided this will be a good project to use both skills and build something custom.

Goals:
  • Mount controller and contactor inside frame
  • Wire everything up
  • Design and build an STM32 based DAQ for coulomb counting, power/current real time display, and data collection
  • Rip around on the street (probably register as a moped) and the dirt
Stay tuned..

shortcircuit911's historical build thread:https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=95439

right_side.jpg

left_side.jpg

Are you going to put a fan blowing on the controller and mod the battery bay in some manner to get a bit of airflow through it to avoid heat buildup?

If you're just going to put the controller inside the battery box, it better have some kind of thermal sensing to shut itself down when it gets hot, or I guarantee you will blow the controller. If it does then expect frequent shutdowns unless you turn current down much lower than its potential.

Why not just put the controller on the bottom of the battery box near the motor with the wire exit end at the lower end? You can put a shield if you're worried about it getting bashed, and you could pull it off in a manner that enhances the look to make the motor not seem like a blob hanging from the bottom of your bike.

Back