0% to 100% proportional regen with separate throttle

Another new thumb option on the market, since we're on the topic.

Trigger-1.jpg

Trigger-2.jpg

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=104978

I like the looks of it, but at approximately $30CAD shipped for something unproven I'm hemming and hawing. Not that it's a particularly large sum, just that it's 3x the cost of everything on Aliexpress. :|

I'm probably going to order one though, for science. :lol:

HK12K said:

I am building my first hub motored ebike and want a controller that will do proportional regen.
I see that you are using an Adaptto controller. They appear to be one of the best, however, I am not finding any place to buy these.
Where could I find one of these controllers?
And secondly, the does the Sabvoton controller (a lower option, but widely available) have the ability to do proportioanl regen?

epictetus said:
HK12K said:

I am building my first hub motored ebike and want a controller that will do proportional regen.
I see that you are using an Adaptto controller. They appear to be one of the best, however, I am not finding any place to buy these.
Where could I find one of these controllers?
And secondly, the does the Sabvoton controller (a lower option, but widely available) have the ability to do proportioanl regen?

Adaptto is pretty much out of business. Look into Nucular controllers instead. Similar feature set, less expensive, highly regarded.

HK12K said:
Look into Nucular controllers instead

Arrrggghh another good product is starved out.
Nucular is my first choice,but.....I don't want to have to wait till the middle of summer to get one.
Phaserunners--Yes this is great but, as per usual in the ebike bus. - out of stock
Kelly-not a stellar rep according to some here.
Powervelocity-I understand its a modded FET Sabvoton. Can't confirm because after 5 emails to PV have NOT heard back-nothing-nada- zilch. (ignoring emails doesn't instill much confidence in after sale tech help)
The only ones not out of stock(yet) are the mid priced Sabvotons from China (how long before they are gone due to the Corona virus panic?) which are becoming the only choice for immediacy and spring time riding.

I would use a Sabvoton in the meantime, maybe, but if it doesn't have proportional regen it is less than desirable.

So far no one has answered whether or not prop. regen is even doable with a Sabvoton. So until I can find an answer or a restock I am kinda..... yucked.
BTW I really like the brake throttle your linked!

Imho, order the nuc and buy a cheapo to tide you over until it arrives, even if the cheapo doesn't have the features you're looking for. That is what I would do if my Adaptto crapped out today. Unfortunately I have zero experience with the Sabvotons so I can't really provide any insight regarding them.

OP waking up from the dead here (and being granted a break from his 3yo son's attention grabbing).

My solution has been a Kelly controller, with left "push" throttle for regen, and a Domino full twist throttle on the right.

The controller's regen is smooth and powerful, as advertised by the fine folks on this thread. And I'm quite happy with the generic push thumb throttle. I don't use the full range of the Kelly regen, which would be too harsh. I think I'm at half or something. Your miles may vary.

And as predicted by someone on here, the right full twist for throttle doesn't work well. It's indeed all over the place — especially problematic with a high power system, which is fair to say my bicycle has now become (3,6KW output on full charge). When riding on dirt roads, my right fist tends to cramp up by trying to stabilise the throttle output.

Having kept this thread in the back of my head, I've been thinking of "axing" the otherwise fine full twist throttle in half. And now that I'm grounded (attacked by dog at high speed, smacked on the gravel in panic, rear axle component broken) and the twist throttle kind of grinds after the end bit smacked on the road and no longer clears the handle bar well, I'm going to do just that.

Other idea that's been kind of slumbering, but not been researched: a high speed Schlumpf drive in combination with torque sensor. Not sure if there would be enough clearance for installing both on a MTB frame, and how this would play out with a Kelly controller. I wonder if, even without the torque sensor and hence purely "analog", the Schlumpf could be a solution for especially bumpy road sections where you'd rather just hit the pedal than the throttle.

(Massive road rash. Dog and I otherwise fine.)

(Wear a helmet. I often don't and have been realising of late that I'm pushing my luck.)

Grinning_Ernst said:
The controller's regen is smooth and powerful, as advertised by the fine folks on this thread. And I'm quite happy with the generic push thumb throttle.
If you decide to try it, you can setup a cable-operated throttle on a brake lever instead. More natural operation (since you're using a brake lever for braking), and you can even use a dual-cable-lever (or a splitter) so you can have the regen work first, then the mechanical brake start as regen is maxed out in case you need it for emergency braking.

I have a "how to" thread here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105460
which others have also contributed to, with a few options.

And as predicted by someone on here, the right full twist for throttle doesn't work well. It's indeed all over the place — especially problematic with a high power system, which is fair to say my bicycle has now become (3,6KW output on full charge). When riding on dirt roads, my right fist tends to cramp up by trying to stabilise the throttle output.
If the controller is not already setup for current / torque throttle mode, I highly recommend changing that. It will make it a lot more controllable than if it's a speed / pwm throttle control method that most controllers use.

If it doesn't have the option, check with Kelly for a firmware update to add that.

If you decide to try it, you can setup a cable-operated throttle on a brake lever instead. More natural operation (since you're using a brake lever for braking), and you can even use a dual-cable-lever (or a splitter) so you can have the regen work first, then the mechanical brake start as regen is maxed out in case you need it for emergency braking.

I have a "how to" thread here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105460
which others have also contributed to, with a few options.
That looks quite interesting. A mechanical brake AND a thumb throttle for braking is indeed one option too much in emergency situations.

The challenge would be to integrate this gracefully with a disk brake lever. It looks like Nixumen nailed it.

There's also mention of a pressure sensor installed on a hydraulic cable. I tried that (with the pressure sensor from Magura), and found it to be unreliable. Pressure does change in a liquid filled cable, both with temperature variations and fiddling with the lever position or adjusting the pads. So sometimes there would be too much slack on the sensor to react promptly, and sometimes there'd be too much stress on it and fire off without human input. And you do NOT want to have random false positive regen activations while on the road.

If the controller is not already setup for current / torque throttle mode, I highly recommend changing that. It will make it a lot more controllable than if it's a speed / pwm throttle control method that most controllers use.
Thanks, will look into that.

I use a two-way half throttle. (A full throttle wasn’t safe while being bounced around.). I like being able to regen with the same throttle I accelerate with, but it’s designed so half the twisting motion is for acceleration and the other half for braking. Too much of the throttle’s range of motion is lost to the braking. Is there a two-way throttle you can adjust the amount of travel for each direction? If I could set it so about 80% of the twisting action went to accelerate and just 20% to the brake I think would be ideal.

Or I’m forced to try to hack one.

Last edited:
Back