1080P mini cams, alternatives to expensive GoPro

Problem is, since Timewarp is in fact a form of time lapse, there is no sound. So what happens when you shoot an image stabilized video in 1080/30 and then speed it up 2x in Kdenlive? Not as smooth. The image stabilization evens out all the bumps and things, but still picks up the swaying from pedaling, etc, and that makes the sped up video choppy (ride home from work yesterday in early afternoon, a lot more people out for the weekend):

[youtube]8kC7vLvsUmc[/youtube]

But you still get sound.

Timewarp is nice, but you are limited in the speed increments: 2x, then 5x and up (I think it is used mostly be people who strap a GoPro to their chest and walk at normal speed). I've found that running a bicycle trip at 3x gives the most pleasant result, but that's not an option with native Timewarp. Still, running it at 5x reduces a three mile commute to a bearable 2:30 video:

[youtube]t3hpIGDK9qI[/youtube]

Anyway, I've found I prefer 3x when playing back bike rides.

Speeding up a 2x Timewarp to 3x gives a choppy result, as movements are sped up. So this time I took a 5x Timewarp and slowed it down by 40% to 3x. It's not choppy, but since the render engine has to fill frames there's something funny going on with the animation.

Still probably the best way to get to a 3x Timewarp.

[youtube]R9G3nqFxsl0[/youtube]

Back