10S custom skate ESC: testers wanted!

kwoolf1 said:
onloop said:
Can you please create a step by step tutorial on getting nunchuck to work. Including photos. How to connect the receiver etc.

Sure thing, I'm on it, onloop! :D

kwoolf1, please reply about the Nunchuck to my new posting, there are pictures/schematics already there for Nunchuck and VESC I2C:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=69557

It didn't work for me, so I hope you fill in the missing bits.
Thanks!

hey, I gave up running ubuntu on Parallels. Found a laptop, installed ubuntu desktop 15.04.

first, I have an error while running the apt-get update (maybe because it's due to the version of ubuntu being too recent)
Code:
sudo apt-get remove binutils-arm-none-eabi gcc-arm-none-eabi
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:terry.guo/gcc-arm-embedded
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gcc-arm-none-eabi=4.9.3.2015q1-0trusty13

well, dunno as I have nothing to upload firmware yet, I just want to configure the VESCs send by onloop with my motor settings.

I then go to the BLDC section
Code:
git clone https://github.com/vedderb/bldc-tool.git bldc-tool
cd bldc-tool
qmake
make
./BLDC_Tool

and I try connect, of course it does not work. Maybe wrong /dev to connect.

I listed my /dev content and I don't have any ttyACMx or something like that. I connect the ESC using the USB cable, nothing happens, I look in dmesg ... nothing happens, no lines added.

When I try to plug a usb HD drive, I have stuff going on on my dmesg... but I'm stuck with the VESC.

I did what benj suggested, but that does not change anything because it says it cannot find /dev/ttyACM0 when running his second command.
Code:
stty -F /dev/ttyACM0 -crtscts ixon ixoff

okp - you cannot use the current bldc-tool with the Onloop's VESC, the firmware is not compatible. The workaround that worked for me and 777arc is below. Try running this prior version of bldc-tool and it should work! :D

777arc said:
Figured it out! Vedder does not use version control for BLDC-Tool, but if you look at the commit history, go to the commit on Feb 19, 2015 and click the button that says "browse the repository at this point in history". Then click download zip, unzip it, open up terminal, cd to the folder, qmake, make, then open up BLDC-Tool. This is the version of the tool from Feb 19 - April 11, so it is likely the right one. It seems to work for me (i.e. connect and read/write config work).

great ! I missed it.

as a BETA tester, I assume it would be great to be able to update the firmware of the VESC to the latest version - is there a plug and play component that I can by to upgrade the firmware ? this stlink stuff? not sure I can get this in Europe

I think you need a programer card

yeah, if anyone has a reference which is plug and play I will be getting one. I will install the previous BLDC this afternoon by replacing my actual APS 150A ESC and try to upgrade my actual setup progressively.

will keep you posted

@okp - have you got any lights on your VESC when you plug it in? If not - have you got it connected to a battery or power supply? My first rookie mistake was thinking that VESC would power up via USB but it doesn't...you need to have a battery or power supply plugged in. All the other ESCs I used in the past did fire up for programming via USB, but VESC doesn't seem too.

@Vedder - hey man I've got a problem with my VESC and not sure what my best attempts are at fixing it.

I've got a fault code DRV8302. The VESC was from OnLoops beta program, so should be good. It was configured exactly per your blog fresh from the box before being tested.

I can see a few comments on your blog about resistor R16 and checking the DRV8302 chip soldering. Are these the only 2 things that might cause this problem? Is there anything else that might make it happen such as broken motor wire / bad battery / low voltage or anything else I can check?

errorCode1.png

errorLog1.png

Thanks very much!

okp said:
yeah, if anyone has a reference which is plug and play I will be getting one. I will install the previous BLDC this afternoon by replacing my actual APS 150A ESC and try to upgrade my actual setup progressively.

will keep you posted

I've got a discovery board and made a wire harness. Are you in the US at all?

Has anybody done some tests with higher currents or in RC cars yet?

I'm planning to put the VESC in my RC car. I don't have exact numbers, but from what I have seen in comparable setups it draws somewhere between 100 and 200A during acceleration (with RC ESC without current control). But that is only for short periods of time, maybe 3-4 seconds. Average current consumption is somewhere around 40A, runtime is about 10 minutes on a 6s 5000mAh pack. Car weighs around 3.7kg with Castle 1717 1650kv motor and is geared for 160kph.

I have read that maximum current limit is about 150A because of the shunts.

Can I just set it to 150A and try it out? I am not sure how fast the heat builts up in the FETs, I assume it will not get too hot if I'm a little careful and check temps often? Or will the FETs overheat in a second or so (faster than the temp sensor can probably sense because it's not inside the FETs) when I run 150amps through them?

benj said:
@okp - have you got any lights on your VESC when you plug it in? If not - have you got it connected to a battery or power supply? My first rookie mistake was thinking that VESC would power up via USB but it doesn't...you need to have a battery or power supply plugged in. All the other ESCs I used in the past did fire up for programming via USB, but VESC doesn't seem too.

OMG ! no lights... I was expecting it to work only by plugging it in USB (as I am doing with other ESCs). How do you power it up ... with discharge wires ? I do have a 6S lipo that I could plug into the ESC discharge wires and then set it up by connecting the USB to the laptop.

kwolf : Regarding the programming card, I'm in Europe/France.

But I assume, at this time if the VESC BETA firmware is stable, I will just have to:
- connect both ESC discharge wires (RED with RED and BLACK with BLACK)
- connect new single RED, single BLACK to a lipo discharge wire
- configure each VESC motor settings with BLDC tool (february one)
- plugin each motor on each VESC
- use a Y servo cable to connect both ESC to a single slot GT2B receiver

go ride ?

benj said:
All the other ESCs I used in the past did fire up for programming via USB, but VESC doesn't seem too.

@vedder is there a technical reason you cannot take power from usb? For usability sake it would be a nice feature.

benj said:
@Vedder - hey man I've got a problem with my VESC and not sure what my best attempts are at fixing it.

I've got a fault code DRV8302. The VESC was from OnLoops beta program, so should be good. It was configured exactly per your blog fresh from the box before being tested.

I can see a few comments on your blog about resistor R16 and checking the DRV8302 chip soldering. Are these the only 2 things that might cause this problem? Is there anything else that might make it happen such as broken motor wire / bad battery / low voltage or anything else I can check?

errorCode1.png

errorLog1.png

Thanks very much!

Did the motor spin up at any time for you? I have had this error on two of my boards, both I had to replace the drv8302 chip.

okp said:
OMG ! no lights... I was expecting it to work only by plugging it in USB (as I am doing with other ESCs)

Yep - that caught me out as well :) Plug your 6S into the VESC battery wires and USB to computer. You should see it then.

Didn't quite get what you meant about discharge wires and your steps. I would configure each VESC separately, one at a time. Test each one, then yeah chuck them on with your Y cable and get riding :)

silviasol said:
Did the motor spin up at any time for you? I have had this error on two of my boards, both I had to replace the drv8302 chip.

Hey Silviasol, thanks for replying. The very first time I put throttle on there was a tiny twitch, but nothing since then. I was super careful, and only very gently applied throttle.

My soldering is not good, sounds scary having to replace that chip!

okp said:
ok perfect, are there any other settings to configure except the motor settings (which I will take from APS ESC setting ... like timing etc...)

I'm probably the wrong person to ask as my VESC seems to have died!! But, yeah the 'App Configuration' tab also needs looking at.

I did the following:
- Connect to VESC in BLDC-Tool
- Click 'Read Configuration' - this loads the current VESC setup into the tool
- Opened the SK3 motor config, loaded that because it was closest to my motor (APS 63mm 130KV 3200W)
- Clicked 'Write Configuration'
- Checked the App Configuration tab, looked OK - I set PPM as my 'App to use' because I am using standard 2.4ghz transmitter and reciever

BUT be careful, as I said, my VESC looks dead and maybe I did something wrong!!!

benj said:
okp said:
ok perfect, are there any other settings to configure except the motor settings (which I will take from APS ESC setting ... like timing etc...)

I'm probably the wrong person to ask as my VESC seems to have died!! But, yeah the 'App Configuration' tab also needs looking at.

I did the following:
- Connect to VESC in BLDC-Tool
- Click 'Read Configuration' - this loads the current VESC setup into the tool
- Opened the SK3 motor config, loaded that because it was closest to my motor (APS 63mm 130KV 3200W)
- Clicked 'Write Configuration'
- Checked the App Configuration tab, looked OK - I set PPM as my 'App to use' because I am using standard 2.4ghz transmitter and reciever

BUT be careful, as I said, my VESC looks dead and maybe I did something wrong!!!

After clicking read configuration then loading the motor config you need to click the "start detection" button then use those results and change the values in the matching spots above in that same page. Not changing those results may have sent the wrong current thru the esc and damaged the drv8302 or maybe you just need to try again using the start detection button and changing the values.

To anyone else if you want a fool proof way to keep your vesc safe while testing you need a low amp power source. I made a jack adapter for a laptop power adapter or if you can find any junk 15-20 or so volt 3-5 amp power source it will also work fine. This way there is no way to damage the esc while testing.

IMG_3482.jpg

The vesc automatically detects the correct motor settings, just click 'start detection'... do not use settings from elsewhere. Do not load settings of similar motors.

Use canbus for dual Vesc. Connect two wires between each vesc. Pin 2 & 3. Turn on the setting in BLDC tool.

Don't use servo splitter.

silviasol said:
After clicking read configuration then loading the motor config you need to click the "start detection" button then use those results and change the values in the matching spots above in that same page. Not changing those results may have sent the wrong current thru the esc and damaged the drv8302 or maybe you just need to try again using the start detection button and changing the values.

To anyone else if you want a fool proof way to keep your vesc safe while testing you need a low amp power source. I made a jack adapter for a laptop power adapter or if you can find any junk 15-20 or so volt 3-5 amp power source it will also work fine. This way there is no way to damage the esc while testing.

IMG_3482.jpg

Nice simple setup Silviasol! I got a lab power supply off ebay for a decent price earlier this year and will use that just to be cautious. Great for lots of tinkering and even can use to power Lipo charger (mine is max 30v 10a).

Can't wait to get my VESC from vedder. Trying to get my ubuntu setup ahead of time and have it ready. Have almost everything else.

I had an idea about building a "loaner" setup on a Raspberry Pi, get it configured with some stock motor configurations, include a programmer for anyone who needs it, and then just sharing it out with folks here in the states (easy/cheap/fast postal shipping)... but my initial test didn't seem to work following Vedder's steps. I'm a linux noob, so i might just start over w/ a VM on my Win laptop. I did similar with folks on a motorcycle forum where you could "borrow" their special crank locking tool and return it when done. Was very cool and handy...

Back