12v 64ah battery with 18650 cells

jatgm1

10 W
mahopac, new york, united states of america
So I'm trying to understand how one could make a 12v 64ah lithium pack with 18650 cells that's 64 ah. Could someone please send me something to help understand how the cell arrangement would work with 18650 cells I want to learn how to make a pack.

if your using 2000mah cells, your pack would be a 3s32p. You would need a total of 96 cells. Fully charge the pack voltage would be 12.6 volts.
Before building such a large pack, start small build a 3s3p pack so you can learn how to to connect all the cells together then wire up a bms. Get a good bms and test them.

This is a picture of a 94ah 3s78p x 2 batterypack I built (156 cells) about 4 years ago, but I started small to make sure I could actually build a larger battery pack. Once you can build a small pack building a larger pack is the same just more cells. I solder all these cells together, nowadays I would only use a tab welder. Also I recommend an IR tester, something I didnt have when I first started building packs, I wouldnt build one today without testing the IR of each cell.

b lithium 168 cells.jpg

jonyjoe303 said:
if your using 2000mah cells, your pack would be a 3s32p. You would need a total of 96 cells. Fully charge the pack voltage would be 12.6 volts.......
But remember, by the time you get even half way discharged , you will be running below 10 volts !
And if you actually use that 64ah, you will be below 8 volts !
So, before you build anything, be sure what your requirements are .
(It might help if you told us the intended application )

Well I'm trying to figure out if I can get a Nissan leaf, get 30 12v 64ah packs, and make that work as a 350v pack, maybe by either reprogramming the controller or trying to find a custom one that will work for the leaf with whatever pack I put in it.

I figured if I can get a battery holder for 18650 cells, like the plastic ones that you can add and remove batteries from easily, it would make them easier to replace if they fail and I can just stick them in the trunk and loose the original pack underneath, and if I get a bms with Bluetooth I can probably check the cells with that.

Back