"1606" - Larger diameter 9c motor now available

El_Steak

10 kW
Looks like ebikes.ca is now selling a larger diameter 9c motor.

Its huge (273mm) but the magnets are smaller (just 16mm)

Performance is a better than the regular 9c, but at 9.95 rpm/V, the only available winding is bit fast for high voltage applications in 26" wheels. Should be good for 30mph @48V though.

I'll let you judge the aesthetics of the cover... :?

All the info at http://www.ebikes.ca

On the ebikes.ca simulator the predicted performance looks so close to the 2806 (10x6) that it seems pointless to even stock the new motor especially with the single cog limitation on the rear version.

-R

Looks kind of magic-pie-ish...

273mm_NC_Hub.jpg

This larger diameter rotor is a very good thing guys.

Efficiency is related to the rate at which the magents can move past the stator poles. This is why a geared hubmotor can develop good torque at low wheel speeds, because the rotor gets to move ~3x faster than the rim, letting efficiency come on sooner because it gets magnet speed sooner.

These larger stators are a blessing for hubmotor users. Similar to getting the advantages of a geared motor, with the reliability and cooling of a direct drive hub.

Justin had one on the dynamo meter when I visited Wednesday.

Its performance looked good but it will take awhile having them in the hands of the ES tweakers before any one knows for sure.

He was concerned the narrow width between the flanges doesn't allow much bracing angle for the spokes.
There's a lack of freewheel space that limits its application to single speed bikes.

Big Rotor Good. But making the magnets narrower, uh, sorta waters it down. I see where they are headed with it though, like the pie. Better hill performance, better starts, but not making the motor a big heavy watt hog like a clyte 5304.

I can see how with the right winding, you'd get a faster motor without the compromise in slower speed or uphill performance you get with for example, my aotema. That motor is fast, but look how slow off the line it was in the race. Equally slow out of the corners too. We are all familar with hub motors slow building of the last 5 mph of speed. Perhaps with the extra leverage, that last 5 mph might get there sooner. It seems that way when I compare my 2807 with my aotema.

I don't know if the narrower flange will matter all that much in a front hub. It doesn't leave much room to dish a rear for sure.

I was kinda puzzled at that too. About them making the motor narrow. I was trying to decide between a 9x7 and now this guy came out. I can understand going up in diameter but i think i would have took the hit on the weight with the wider motor. It probably would have been a beast.

If it doesn't fit 7 speeds and a disc, it's useless.

You can fit 7 speeds and a disc on an X5, so why can't 9C do it?

The 7.5kg is the only issue I have with it. Imagine all the space inside those covers for blades in a ventilated arrangement.

I've often thought a front derailleur only setup would make ebike sense. One gear for takeoff, one for cruising. A chain tensioner somewhere in the back hacked from an old rear derailleur.

This since upgrading my 9c from 36v NiCad to 48v LiFePO4. Messing with gears means so much less now.

If I had a long commute though, I'd be looking to keep the gears in case of running out of juice or failure.

mrzed said:
I've often thought a front derailleur only setup would make ebike sense. One gear for takeoff, one for cruising. A chain tensioner somewhere in the back hacked from an old rear derailleur.

This since upgrading my 9c from 36v NiCad to 48v LiFePO4. Messing with gears means so much less now.

If I had a long commute though, I'd be looking to keep the gears in case of running out of juice or failure.

That's what I had on one of my ebikes, and just used the derailleur hanger (or whatever the thing is called that makes the S in the chain) as my chain tensioner with the derailleur locked in the correct position. One speed is all I ever used, though I had 3 up front and functional.

Ypedal said:
I wonder how hard it would be to hack this thing with more magnet...

More magnet would require more iron in the backing ring, which is already much of the weight of a large dia motor.

The pic does show screw on disk compatibility. But why is it so hard to make it bolt on disk? Sometimes I do actually use two of my gears on the rear derailur. I'll use the second smallest when using the ol trusty 36v ping. But yeah, break down and you may want the big gear on the cluster! And you may want all the gears if you are touring, doing a lot of riding at low speed to extend range. Commuting is just WOT all the way there.

Bolt on adapters of the 42mm 6bolt standard would and do in many cases interfere with bearings embedded into the covers, that's why the chinese manufacturers don't like to do BOLT ON and prefer that thread on mess!

-Mike

I use this screw on adapter. It's cheap, decent quality and allows you to use any standard disk. It even comes with a 6 inch disk should you need it. All for just 25$

505202.jpg

http://www.bicycledesigner.com/defaulthome.asp?Main=/datasheet.asp%3FPartNumber%3D505202

ebikes.ca also sells an adapter, but its more expensive (35$) and doesn't include a disk:

DiskAdapter_TN.jpg

Mark_A_W said:
If it doesn't fit 7 speeds and a disc, it's useless.

You can fit 7 speeds and a disc on an X5, so why can't 9C do it?

From what I read on the net the virgin stock hub was centered it allowed for disk an 1 speed freewheel.

I just purchased this front and its being shipped 2 day FedEx. I hope to have it Thursday or Friday. Ill post a full review.

Apparently my item shipped. The weight. 24.3lbs?!?!?!? Im supposed to be getting motor only? wonder what else is in the box....

take pictures for us, We are eager to see how it goes when you installing your new 1606 9c motor hub and ride.

icecube57 said:
Apparently my item shipped. The weight. 24.3lbs?!?!?!? Im supposed to be getting motor only? wonder what else is in the box....
24.3 lb must be packed in lead...

My beef with such large diameters- lacing up a wheel with 1 cross spokes is a nightmare. Just isn't going to build up a long term reliable and serviceable wheel.

What causes a motor to draw more current. I just got my motor in and its factory sticker say 36v 600w 10x6. My GM pulled about 1800-1900w under load. This new 1606 is pulling about 2400w-2600w under load. Its actually causing my controller to heat up vs the GM I could run several 15-20 miles and it get luke warm.

Back