1980 Honda Express Electric Conversion

The RPM on 72v seems to sit right between the BHT and LR BB/LMX/D4500.
Doubly interested in the teardown.

Edit: can you confirm the motor is 110mm wide? Also what is the shaft size? Did you get their controller?

Well I became that person I hate the most on forums - A ghoster. I really apologize to anyone who was following this project or the QS1000 with any sort of interest. I got busy for a bit last year, put the project away and then had to move and then this whole thing became "out of site, out of mind". I finally got all settled back in in February only for some small global event to shut down the shop not long after until this July. So basically no progress has been made.

Honestly though, starting this project back up is just looking less and less viable and practical. A moped like this is just not practical for an electric conversion without replacing the whole swingarm. The gear ratio in the swingarm and use of highly unusual chain sizes and a ridiculous 14.7:1 gear ratio means some pretty serious custom machining must be done to make a custom motor shaft and sprocket - and them hope it all fits.

Then after all of that happens, you're still dealing with a 2 stage gear reduction going through a chain and a set of gears all riding on a journal "bearing" - bare aluminum housing. This is a drive loss nightmare. After getting a new 270H chain sprocket all drawn up and ready to machine, this all just looking less and less fun to complete with a probably not so thrilling result. I was hoping this would be a fun introduction into a motorcycle conversion, but every part of this is feeling more challenging than just stepping right into a small motorcycle.

Anyways, I apologize again. I can try to share 3D model of the sprockets or answer any questions anyone has about the motor or scooter.

Back