1kW range extender concept.

Hi All,
I have been thinking about small range extenders.
I recently went on a ride on an Santa Cruz Bullit ebike I built for a friend,with his partner on a Giant Trance ebike I built and him on a Giant Glory Ebike he just bought.
The bikes all do around 55kph top speed on the flat.
We we riding in Koonyum Range outside of Mullumbimby NSW through dirt roads and awesome single track.
We planned to ride for under an hour as the bikes have about 1kW hour stored each.
It's just so much fun that an hour is not long enough.
The third bike that a another friend built sold it so he could buy a KTM dirt bike and stop messing with spending more time battery charging than riding.

The two bikes i built feel great with 7.5 kg of battery (6x 6S nanotech 8AHr 18S2P) and 7 kg of HS3540.
I wouldn't really want to add much more weight.
However the thought crossed my mind about going to 18S1P saving over 3kgs and running a 1kW range extender.
I have researched for many hours to finding a suitable power plant to produce the 1.2kW of mechanical power necessary to get 1kW of electrical power assuming a consertvative 85% conversion efficiency.
The Bladon jets that jag use came up, but they have a minimum of 5kW and run exhaust energy recovery heat exchangers to make them more efficient.
A 12kW domestic genset Tata have commissioned from Bladon is powered by a radial turbine and apparently the whole unit is as big as a fridge.
The larger jets such as the 70kW units in the jag are an axial arrangement.
There are many rc motors that produce around 1.2kW and weigh about 300gms but they are not made for long hours of constant running.
For that I had to look at UAV engines.
The one I think is most suitable is the Cubewano Atom.
It's an advanced aircooled single rotor motor that produces 1.8kW, weighs under 3kG, runs EFI on multifuels and if reved lower to only produce 1.2kW would get 500hrs TBO with 100 hour Service intervals.
It's quoted at 0.8lb/hp/hr which I worked out to produce 1kW of charging power would sip 0.75litres/hour.
As our bikes use about 1kW to run at 50kph on flat road, I figure that we'd use 1.5L/100km or 156mpg(us).
So with a 1.5l of fuel being about 1kg and allowing 1kg for the generator and electronics I figure there is a good chance of the unit weighing under 5kgs. Adding only 1.5kg to our current config if we go to 18S1P.
Obviously the noise would need to be very carefully silenced to make the units attractive on an ebike and I believe this is achievable as the motors will be running at constant load and rpm.
I reckon the single exhaust could be split and tuned to cancel out the sound pulses.

The only problem is the motors are currently $18000(us).
However...
In order to get them down $1000 I need to order 3000 units.
Probably have to spend over $100k in development too.
If they were $1000 I'm figuring the whole genset would be about $2200.
Which sounds like a bit but its the equivalent of 2kWhrs of Nanotechs.
With this genset 1.5l of fuel would be the equivalent of adding 2kWHrs of batteries, in Australia at the moment that will cost you about $2.40.
Then when you run out you fill it again in under a minute.
My questions are have I got the Maths right?
And
Would anyone here be interested in the lightest, smallest 1kW genset potentially available at a price point of $2200?

I figure that the market is huge, charging EV's.
Especially if the units are designed to be modular and Combine in parallel for more amps.
Also in Camping, boats, worksites and unfortunately military.

Is 3000 units ridiculous or if I was to raise the 100k to fund this product and float it on Kickstarter do you reckon it is an achievable figure?

Thanks for reading
Paul

I think it will weigh more than you think, the copper and magnets in the generator part.

If you just want to charge multiple ebikes where there are no plugs, look at dirt cheap china made 3000w generators. One Honda EU 1000 could run two 5 amps chargers.

I rather think the lightness, if you get it, will not make people want to spend that much more for portable power. Honda has it pretty good already, and if weight doesn't matter the cheap china gennies have the market flooded.

$2000 buys a shitload of spare RC packs. Ride, swap, ride.

I would like to see a tiny 5 kg generator able to put out 5 amps of 48v. Like 200w. The weedwhacker motor and RC motor idea. Then riding at 400w on my longtail, I'd have double the range from the battery I carry, and infinite range at 200w usage. It would able to keep filling the battery on any stops as well.

Hey Dogman,
Thanks for responding.
I'm thinking of the range extender to be on the bike continuously charging the batteries, so you can keep riding without a return to base.
So a heavy genset or more batteries won't do.
The weight estimate came from Cubewano.
They have built many ultra light gensets in the 3,5 and 7kW range.
They suggested 88% efficiency for the generator however I believe the PPMT technology from QM Power could be even higher.
http://www.qmpower.com/content.aspx?page=powergen
Cheers
Paul

It sounds like a dream to me. 1000w continuous for ten pounds ( you said under 5kg), and you'd only need to carry 5 ah of battery for burst watts. 15 pounds for battery and generator, 2000w for a few min as needed. Oh yeah!

It's likely possible at any cost. But will this tiny niche market buy units at $2,000 a pop? Eventually yes, but soon enough to cover your loan or satisfy investors?

I think there would be a ready market in the second battery price range, say $500. For something lower output and lower tech. Enough wattage to run a 48v 5 amps charger would work in AC, or 56v actual voltage DC, in 200-300w.
I think it was Fetcher and Goodrum that posted a long thread about it in 2008. Some kind of carry a generator question thread. They discussed at length how to make one from the smallest Honda motor, and an RC motor for the generator.

They have cheap generators from china in 600w I think, but an even lighter one that puts out 300w AC would be ideal to just plug into a 5 amps charger. 250w into my battery as I go, and I would need only a 5-10 ah battery to ride across many miles of the west.

I'm thinking in terms of use for long haul riding, like across continents. Out here, we have lots of places where it's 70 miles between towns in the desert, or 100+ miles into and back out of the mountains. The lightest generators seem to be about 29 pounds, my 800w generator is 50 pounds. But 10 pounds is the dream to me. At 10-15 pounds, it would be doable. I don't want to trailer, just to carry a generator that weighs as much as 100 mile range lico.

You know,... for $2k you could get 4 kWhrs worth of 18650's.
a 2kWhr pack would weigh <10kg and be good for 2 hrs/100miles of riding.
After that you might well want a break and swap on the other 2kWhr pack.
Nice quiet , clean, EV riding !

If you are going to ride with a ICE running, just hook it up to the wheel and leave the batteries at home.

Hey Lebowski
Have you got a link for the fuel cell?
Hey hillhater,
The ICE is for 1kW continuous you still need batteries for the 3kW hill climbs.
Also running an ICE at constant speed and load allows you to make it more efficient and quieter.
I didn't know 18650's had got so cheap and light.
Interesting.
I'll look into them.
Cheers

Ebay indicates 13kg being about right for a 1kw genny. One quoted 420g per hour in fuel. It's the noise that really puts the last nail in though. 50db@7m is apparently good.

Perhaps your mate with the motorcycle has the right idea. It puts the weight in the right place and offers some easy exhaust options. Goes for miles too. If your going to burn fuel anyway...

I'm seeing 1kw sets using up to 1.8hp engines. This yamaha spec looks believable with 1.61 kwh engine for 1000va http://www.justgenerators.co.uk/pages/yamahaEF1000is.htm

Lebowski,

I found a 1kW Fuel cell
http://www.horizonfuelcell.com/#!aerostacks-200w-1kw/c10tm
It doesn't have a price listed and I have requested one.
Looks like it uses 14litres/min to produce that 1kW though.
Thristy!
840 liter tank to run for an hour.

By the way I have been reading your controller thread and am super impressed.

Here is another small rotary motor from Nitto the NRG-20EP
It's 20cc runs on gasoline and produces 1.34kW weighs 1.8kg and cost about $1800 aud.
http://www.barnardmicrosystems.com/UAV/engines/wankel.html
At about 3 liters/hour,It's a bit more thirsty then the Cubewano Atom.
Cheers

A generator on an ebike has already been tried and it does not work. What does work is efficiency, to include a battery with high AH, thin tires, and low rider weight.

lester12483 said:
A generator on an ebike has already been tried and it does not work. What does work is efficiency, to include a battery with high AH, thin tires, and low rider weight.

Why didn't it work.

Also Dogman why do you think the generator will be too heavy?
If you take a joby jm1s and reduce its width by 1/6 to under 10mm's and you get 1.37kW nominal at 6000rpm, 0.3kg, over 90% efficiency and the cost I guess would have to be under $400.
Remember that you don't even need bearings as the rotor just connects to the existing shaft like a flywheel, so integrated its probably less than 0.3kg.
Found this on the spark fun forum.
https://forum.sparkfun.com/viewtopic.php?t=15451

Cheers

Just found an 8kg 1kW generator for $230 us.
It's a 2 stroke.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Smart-Portable-Power-Solution-0-9kW-Ultra-quiet-Digital-Inverter-Mini-Gasoline-Generator-QL1000i-all/118508_1073259255.html

This is the 1kW fuel cell I found (sold by a company in Texas):

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/1000-Watt-1kW-Hydrogen-Fuel-Cell_126948189.html

it uses 13L/min, and 1L of hydrogen weighs 0.1g so 1.3gram per minute which does not sound bad.

The problem comes when you want to stuff an hours worth (780 Liter) into a 1 Liter volume to make it portable...

Personally I think a small jet engine could be the way to go. I'm toying around with the idea of a strap on electric quadcopter for personal commuting and it was the only thing we could think of to get enough power to fly for any descent length of time.

Anyway don't want to send this thread to the dogs but having build my own hydrogen generator with partial success I came across a lot of weird stuff in my research one of which was the bob Boyce hex controller..

Check it out if you are interested
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Bob_Boyce_Hex_Controller

That's a pretty light generator in that link. Under 20 pounds, if it's really only8 kg. That gets you into a usable weight for a long haul ride. I won't haul a trailer, but that would be nothing for a trailer equipped ebike.

Listening to it would definitely be a downside. For dirt riding, if you don't have the range you want light enough, carrying more will destroy the ride. Then you might as well be just turning to a gas bike.

Me, I found I needed a rest anyway, if not done for the day by the time I did 8-10 hard miles. But even before I got sick, I was getting to be the old fart rider.

For my personal needs right now, I'd still love to see a 300-500w generator that weighed 10 pounds. Right now the calculation goes like this. I have 25 ah I carry on my cargo bike, that gives me 50 mile range. It weighs about 20 pounds. 8 pounds more gives me what I need, 70 mile range. So the goal would be to carry no more than 30 pounds if I was to pack a generator.

I could even carry less range, but the ideal would be to ride, camp, then put the noisy thing 100 ' from the tent to charge in the evening. Likely the thing would have to run while riding some, but only the end of the day. The big advantage would be ability to camp in the wild, and have an overnight charge. Right now, I have to flock with the RV's to have a plug, and then pay a fee to camp there.

A rotary is likely the best choice, but then your tied to petrol stations. Too fill up your push bike. At the pumps.

edit: The rotary article was interesting. How they struggled to get a fuel system for 20cc that worked on a wankle. Good power from 20cc, but the wankle takes more than one 20cc charge per revolution. Comparatively speaking it uses 40cc per revolution. Plus they can rev themselves silly. So they can really burn through some fuel.

dogman said:
... Right now the calculation goes like this. I have 25 ah I carry on my cargo bike, that gives me 50 mile range. It weighs about 20 pounds. 8 pounds more gives me what I need, 70 mile range. So the goal would be to carry no more than 30 pounds if I was to pack a generator. ..

DM, i am sure you already know, but maybe you just need a different type of battery.
as i said above,.. 20 lbs of 18650 "energy" type cells would give you over 2kWhr of battery which should easily carry you over 70 miles. :wink:

Hi All,
Just found this info on 5kW apu.
http://www.bakerengineeringmfg.com/BEITechnologies/BEITechnologies.aspx
5kW nutating disk motor and generator weighing 16.4lbs or 7.5 kgs
At this power density a 1 kW genset would weigh 1.5 kgs.
I'm not saying you are likely to get one of these any time soon, I'm just sharing the info to show what is possible.
Cheers
Paul

Here's an informative video on the nutating disc motor.
http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/Nutating-Disk-Engine-Delivers-H;Engineering-TV-AerospaceDefense
Cheers
Paul

I didn't see Hillhaters reply till now. Send me money, and I'll gladly send it to Cellman for 30 ah of better battery. :mrgreen:

Maybe next year, I will be able to work some again, and get my own money.

can we vote on this thread too?

i vote for the jet turbine and mount it right behind the rider above the rear wheel. the thrust from the output would also help provide some propulsion and the noise would be behind the rider so it would be manageable, except for the guys who are riding in your slipstream.

put some hardware cloth across the front to keep out the limbs and leaves and your hair and clothes but take pictures from the start. we wanna see it run at least until....

So you're just trying to make a gas-electric "hybrid" drive bike right?

You might as well just wait for the sugar powered fuel cells. I can't wait until I can eat a banana and throw the peel into the Mr Fusion on my ebike:

delorean_40_153.jpg

As much as I like electric bikes, up to 6 Ebikes. 50 miles is the most I've been able to push, without the bike being too heavy with batteries. Until battery technology improves, I've gone a different direction for my next build. I purchased the Motoped and will install a 125cc motor. This will allow me to do some long distance rides and still have something that feels like a bicycle. Trying to add a generator makes for a complicated setup without any performance advantage.

kfong said:
As much as I like electric bikes, up to 6 Ebikes. 50 miles is the most I've been able to push, without the bike being too heavy with batteries. Until battery technology improves, I've gone a different direction for my next build. I purchased the Motoped and will install a 125cc motor. This will allow me to do some long distance rides and still have something that feels like a bicycle. Trying to add a generator makes for a complicated setup without any performance advantage.

I was wondering who would be the first to get one. Even though it's ICE, do share when you get it running.

Sure, I will post a thread. Even though it will be gas. It will give others insight on a possible electric conversion. I will try the gas route for a while and see if I can put up with the noise and fumes. I plan to make it as quiet as possible, since the exhaust is directly behind, I think the fumes won't be an issue. The power to weight ratio should make for a fun setup. Who knows, maybe it will be converted to electric. It would make for a good mid drive conversion, with plenty of room for a large battery pack. Just need battery technology to improve.

Back