• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

1kW range extender concept.

Hillhater said:
You know,... for $2k you could get 4 kWhrs worth of 18650's.
a 2kWhr pack would weigh <10kg and be good for 2 hrs/100miles of riding.
After that you might well want a break and swap on the other 2kWhr pack.
Nice quiet , clean, EV riding !

If you are going to ride with a ICE running, just hook it up to the wheel and leave the batteries at home.
Ya. All the conversion inefficiencies ..fossil fuel, mechanical, electrical, electrical, mechanical it makes the head spin! Obey the first law of thermodynamics! :p

kfong said:
Sure, I will post a thread. Even though it will be gas. It will give others insight on a possible electric conversion. I will try the gas route for a while and see if I can put up with the noise and fumes. I plan to make it as quiet as possible, since the exhaust is directly behind, I think the fumes won't be an issue. The power to weight ratio should make for a fun setup. Who knows, maybe it will be converted to electric. It would make for a good mid drive conversion, with plenty of room for a large battery pack. Just need battery technology to improve.

What would be great is if someone could develop a motor kit that would be easy to install and uninstall on the Motoped. That way, you can switch between ICE and electric based on your needs

Front planetary gearmotor, laced into your moped rim.

Time to make another frankenbike, weld a moped ass end to a MTB frame. That way you still have a battery triangle on the moped.

cal3thousand said:
What would be great is if someone could develop a motor kit that would be easy to install and uninstall on the Motoped. That way, you can switch between ICE and electric based on your needs

Check out the Motoped facebook page ;)

My latest range extender concept. Now it packs 1100wh inside. I guess 2 times 13S/10Ah is something like 1100wh. 4mm ply.
Name is not to be taken too seriously :wink:

Attachments

• Extra tank 010.jpg
    Extra tank 010.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 597
MIT are working on a turbine on a chip battery replacer.
Near future estimate 500 WHr/kg upto 1200 WHr/kg long term including fuel.

http://thefutureofthings.com/3063-engine-on-a-chip/

Also this 20mm dia micro gas turbine generator produces 1kW

http://www.powermems.be/gasturbine.html

Cheers
Paul

Let me know when those mirco turbines are for sale at harbor freight for under $200. Till then, I just keep buying another 5 ah of 48v battery every time I can afford it. Right now I have 25 ah of decent battery. That's about 50 mile max range, loaded up. But I need more for a 70 mile hop between towns. 30 ah will get me to most places in NM, 60 mile range at 25 wh/mi. That means riding slow with a 200 pound bike including the camping gear.

Charging 30 ah someplace along the way can take a while though. :roll: 3-4 hours. So a 10 or 15 pound 500w generator is still the dream for a really long trip. Replace 10 ah of your pack, and never have to stop to charge if you keep your discharge below 400w average. But, riding silent for 60-70 miles is what ebikes are all about. I could just go buy a Honda 90.

Back