2 speed freewheel for multispeed chain

can anyone point me in the direction of a 2 or 3 speed freewheel that can be used with a normal chain and derailer?

i have tried using a single speed freewheel on a full suspension frame, and have had a lot of trouble finding the chain tentioning solution..

anyone cracked this one?

You can use a normal rear derailleur to tension the chain, which is what I did when I fitted a Nuvinci hub. Use the range adjuster screws to lock it in the correct positiin. You don't need a cable or changer.

There have been several builds that have taken a freehub casstte wheel, and mounted three sprockets to it. For a factory integrated 2-speed, White Industries "Dos" freewheel has two speeds, but...there wasn't much ratio between the two sprockets.

thanks for the hints guys.

i have attempted this before and found the ingredients for the difficult recipe to be:

1)cro in 150mm drops has only room for single speed
2) single speed freewheel wont fit a "normal" derailer because the chain width is different.
3) using a chain tentioner(not full derailer)wont have enough spring or tension to keep the chain on a dh because there is too much chain growth.

my solution-

use a single speed chain and freewheel but try to add spacers to the derailer cage to allow space for the wider chain(also admittedly annoying)

just thought someone must have found the right freewheel to us with normal derailer without modifications, a thinner cog?, a wider derailer???

perhaps the bmx chain tensioner in this https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=JN.PVzXK%2fv4xqdF1kXuMORmsQ&pid=15.1&P=0 link would sort it out..

ps. thanks for the hints about the cable tensioning, i was planning something like that.

There are plain chain tensioners that have enough travel for a full DH frame with a single freewheel. I use the Shimano Alfine, that is the one with the highest tension and very robust. It doesn't have a common lateral adjustent though, you need to adjust with the mount.

images

Back