2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

file.php

that's the 20" fat with the xd 2 speed laced. More on the thread....

I've ordered one of these motors; apparently it comes with a sine wave controller. I'm looking forward to working out how to use it.

I've emailed them a couple of times but no response. I would also like to purchase one, preferably with a sinewave controller.
otherDoc

:wink: Is that your battery pack on the (what's the right word) "seat shock post" :?:

sunday1 said:
@docnjoj:
I used this e-mail address: yona@xiongdamotor.com.cn
Answers came fast.
Thanks! I'll give it a try.
otherDoc

I want to put one of these motors on the front of a semi recumbent in a 20" wheel. My goal is 35-37 kph or 22-23 mph unassisted on the flat with good climbing capability up moderate hills on twelve to fourteen cells.

What combination of parts would give me that?

I've already been in contact with Yona and she has sent me an invoice for a setup with a 48V 250W sine controller and a 25 kph 48V 20" motor, I don't think this is going to reach my goal.

Jonathan in Hiram said:
I want to put one of these motors on the front of a semi recumbent in a 20" wheel. My goal is 35-37 kph or 22-23 mph unassisted on the flat with good climbing capability up moderate hills on twelve to fourteen cells.

What combination of parts would give me that?

I've already been in contact with Yona and she has sent me an invoice for a setup with a 48V 250W sine controller and a 25 kph 48V 20" motor, I don't think this is going to reach my goal.

I did get in touch with Yona and also need the 20" wheel version but for 36 volts. I just need about 18 mph top speed. Are there different windings since the gears are all probably the same?
otherDoc

I´m quite sure, there ist only one electr. type of motor in different housings /with different axle.
I didn´t even see a 48V controller version being offered.

On the other hand, as I asked Yona if the 36V KT-sine-wave cotroller was capatible with a 12s (43,2V)cell-pack, she told me that it was O.K. up to 45V acc. the techn. department !?!
In onlineshops I saw controller, able to handle voltage from 30V up to 52V. Different was the wattage they were capable of. The more mosFet the more Watt.

At some LCD-displays you can adjust your tire-size, top speed, current cosumption at assistance level..
(The Xiongda motor has a speed-sensor on board.)

It´s bad that Xiongda doesn´t offer more technical docs. Yona seemed to me as a sales woman - nice person but not very helpful in techn. questions.
Unfortunately I couldn´t find a data sheet of a "KT sine-wave controller" in the net - maybe ist relabled..

I told her the volatge and current, I was planning to use, and suppose it will work.
To be on the safe side, I won´t solder the shunt in the beginning and see how warm the controller and motor get.
And maybe I will stay at 15A.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a rear motor with 135 spacing. My trike has the mount for a rear disc but I have never set it up because I have Avid BB7's w/185 rotors on each front wheel. I can stop on a dime. I'd rather not have to stretch the rear triangle even though it is steel. Anyone have any other suggestions. Oh yeah, it comes with the programming screen.
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
I did get in touch with Yona and also need the 20" wheel version but for 36 volts. I just need about 18 mph top speed. Are there different windings since the gears are all probably the same?
otherDoc

I'm just guessing that there are two different windings for the small wheel 16"-20" version and the large wheel 26" version, I read something somewhere that led me to believe it but I can't find it again.

I have One motor wound for 20" and another for 24" ask them with care and reasons and maybe they will put their efforts to satisfy your requests.....
I got both controller at 36v, since I thing it is better to start to test a new system at the Targa ratings and in stock conditions....

panurge said:
I have One motor wound for 20" and another for 24" ask them with care and reasons and maybe they will put their efforts to satisfy your requests.....
I got both controller at 36v, since I thing it is better to start to test a new system at the Targa ratings and in stock conditions....

How much difference can you tell between the two motors?

Are they approximately equal in road speed at the same voltage?

panurge said:
I just emailed Yona about the different winds as mine is going in a 20" wheel. It would be neat if they do have different winds for smaller wheels. Thanks panurge for this information.
otherDoc
Oh yeah. I like the Latin. I think it means "Someday we will look back on this and laugh." Is that close?

EHeh....
It is hard to say....the feel and the intention of the producer is indeed what you figure (same speed/output) and the (poor) bench test I did confirmed that, but I'm using the 20" into a 20"x4" 1/4 tires and the 24" into a 29" rim with road tires, so Have not compatible real world data to compare, mostly because the 2 bikes are totally different (a 13.5 kg fast road machine and an heavy turtle steel fat BMX).

Actually I'm testing the 20" with the Lishui sinewave (non FOC) ESC, It pull and climbs surprisingly....It tops out at around 33Kph (no pedal) in flat (with the KM Display wheel tuned for 22" wheels). Have not controlled it with a GPS or a CA Actually.
The shifting control works great. Still the Motor is noisy when in low gear.

Global consideration until now:

The KT controller (square) + combo seems less refined but works actually better in stock (better efficiency, less loud, less heat on the controller, the lishui works acceptably and at certain rpms range seems to work even better....so I'm confident to get a proper config....
The lishui Has a programming port (white silicon 4 pin plug) but I'm still looking where to get an interface; ALso the KM5S that comes with my XD motor seems to have a non standard firmware, since I'm not able to access the settings and system menus as i Did with another one some months ago, and as it is in the online manuals.

Today I've made a 17% climb (400m long 12.5% average) and it sustained that very well.
Remember that this bike is almost unpedalable without motor.....so the pedal contribute is really lower than with standard electric bikes....

I will post an Audio and video file as promised soon

Cheers

Oh yeah. I like the Latin. I think it means "Someday we will look back on this and laugh." Is that close?
PS hey Doc, the translation is right....Is a verse of the Aeneis of Vergilius, actually the most accepted translations include an "even" ("maybe, someday we will look back and laugh even on this") in fact it's seems a positive and optimistic sentence from an happy guy, but it was instead one of the things that Aeneas said to his desperate people in the exodus from a burning Troy, conquered by an "horse".....these verses was written almost 2000 years ago....

Hey guys
this is a little video, with sound as promised....
[youtube]XUb5UiFXBy8[/youtube]
well the recording isn't made in a withe chamber with pro devices but you could get an Idea, In the video i'm manually switching from Low to high and vice-versa...in low the noise is noticeable, of course there is the freewheel loud....I'll make a recording at home or at the shop soon.
Another thing I can do is to compare it with a keyde (xtrasilent) and a Q100 i have to test with.

I would add that the bike could roll backward only for a pair o turns or so....than it will block steadily or ratteling a bit.

Cheers

Attachments

• DSCF3830.JPG
    DSCF3830.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 3,032
  • DSCF3832.JPG
    DSCF3832.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 3,032
Thanks Jules. That was really quiet for a gear motor. I think I will order one on Monday. Keep up the decibel testing! Watch out for Trojan Horses ;)
otherDoc

OK it is on it's way. Yona did say there were 2 winds and I got the fast one for 20" wheels. Done!
otherDoc

Long ago I used to be pretty active on the forums and such for recumbent trikes when the Steintrike guy was just starting. I've built a couple of trikes and recently added motor to one of them. Only recently run across some of the Steintrikes recent full suspension creations. They are pretty impressive. Got me thinking I may have to have a go at a full suspension trike of my own.

yawstick said:
Long ago I used to be pretty active on the forums and such for recumbent trikes when the Steintrike guy was just starting. I've built a couple of trikes and recently added motor to one of them. Only recently run across some of the Steintrikes recent full suspension creations. They are pretty impressive. Got me thinking I may have to have a go at a full suspension trike of my own.
Hey yawstick
It gets worse! they have a tilting one with 11" suspension travel. :mrgreen: It is 4500 Euro so well over 5 grand here. Almost thinking about selling my MadMax, but I just don't go fast enough to justify the tilt. They race them
on luge tracks in the summer. Crazy
otherDoc

I used 4 spoke calculators and three said 144 and one (Sapim) said 147. Does this seem reasonable if I order 13/14 in 144? Been a while since I was doing this regularly. :oops: Oh Yeah ERD was 396 for Sun Rhinolyte rim.
otherDoc

I've come unstuck a couple of times by using the ERD quoted in sales listings or other places. Always measure the inside diameter of the rim. The ERD will be maybe 4 or 5mm more.

The spoke calculator that I use, which has always got the spoke lengths correct when I have the correct ERD, says 144.2mm for a 1-cross pattern for an ERD of 396mm.

Thanks again D8veh! Good information is a joy to find! The rim should be here tomorrow so I will measure it directly before I order spokes.
otherDoc

Back