21700 Cells. Is anyone making hidden tube batteries with them yet?

Gemini8026

100 µW
Hey all.

I have built two Ebikes now, and I am looking to make a THIRD one.

However for this one I am going to make it a winter project and go with an import frame. I am still trying to fully decide which frame to go, as I can go with the traditional Dorado Reention style battery *which is easy to get replacements for*

OR this is a new popular battery. However not a huge aftermarket on the import sites. Im curious if any manu's are makign this shell with 71200 batteries for optimal range....

I have attached the image of the battery. It's the style a few Biktrix bikes use now and generally is a 17.5AH battery. I am curious if there will be a newer higher capacity 21700 battery that I could order/wait for!

DIY is out of the question as Im not a battery guy!

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image.jpg
    New Bitmap Image.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 390
Contact herbert@dtbattery.com and show him the picture and he will tell you how many Ah a battery can be made with 21700 cells using that case. It seems that cases are not a problem with this company as they have access to any of the ones I have inquired about so far?

Gemini8026 said:
I can go with the [strike] traditional [/strike] proprietary Dorado Reention style battery

Fixed that for you.

If you want increased battery capacity options, don't use an internal battery. If you want future-proofness and serviceability for your bicycle, don't use an inflexible proprietary bike that holds you captive for replacement parts and upgrades.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Due to ths design of this case, the 21700 cells do not fit optimally and I am seeing 15AH instead of 17.5 with the 18650. A lot of manufacturers are using this style now, and if the future is a more efficient 21700 battery then I will likely avoid these frames!

Gemini8026 said:
Due to ths design of this case, the 21700 cells do not fit optimally and I am seeing 15AH instead of 17.5 with the 18650. A lot of manufacturers are using this style now, and if the future is a more efficient 21700 battery then I will likely avoid these frames!

Any improvements in energy density between 18650 and 21700 cells is going to be very marginal. 21700 cells have about 50% more volume but can get away with a little less than 50% more container. I don't think there's anything to get worked up about unless the format allows you to fit more weight of cells in the specific space you have available. In your case, it's the opposite.

If expanding battery capacity and range is important to you, don't use a bike that has fixed dimensional constraints on the battery (that stuffs it into a confined space).

I understand in some cases you can add a supplementary pack that plugs into the charge port of the original battery. This might be a strategy to buy you more range when you want it, without having to change the stock battery.

Yes, Bikonit uses 21700 batteries in their Wart Hog series of Ebikes,
OEM battery's is 48v, 21700 battery's, has 39 cells/13 in series 3 in parallel, 15ah/720wh.
HTH's

I switched to 21700 cells 5 years ago as soon as I could get some 5A in a Hailong style case. Last fall I got my first internal battery type bike and found the stock 18650 cell 840wh battery to be rather disappointing. I contacted a supplier in Shenzhen and got them to stuff 21700 cells into the stock case which resulted in either a 48v 720wh or 52v 780 wh battery plus I had them up the BMS to 40A over 30A. I didn't need that extra but somebody will.

The performance of both batteries immediately showed promise, especially at lower voltage where the stock battery frankly sucked. About the best I was getting out of the stock battery was around 20 miles of sporty riding around the place. I just did 34 miles on my last charge of the 52v 780wh battery in same style riding.

So yes is my answer to the OP's query and I worked with herbert@dtbattery.com to get mine.

Back