21S Charger Problems

Hi all,

Well last night i got back from a ride and put my bike back on charge and charged it too 86 Volts (90%). All seemed to be ok because i went back out and turned it off about an hour later and it was at 86.1 volts so i pulled the charger from the battery and then turned the charger off as the green light was indicating it was charged and it was.

After disconnecting the power lead from the charger i put the lead next to the charger and closed the BBQ lid and went inside after locking my bike up.

This morning i went out to unlock my bike and go to the shops and off i went. on my return i plugged the charger back into the power supply and turned it on but i noticed none of the indicator lights where on which doesnt normally happen. I plugged the charger in to the battery and still no lights or power.

One other thing i have noticed is when i plug the power lead from the charger into the power Supply i get a rather large spark at the plug which has never happened before.

The Charger is a 21S 88.2 volt from EM3EV and to date it has done about 25 cycles on my battery with not a problem.

What i would like to ask is how do i diagnose this and i know ill need to pull it apart but i have no idea what i should be looking for at all.

WHERE DO I START PLEASE?

Ill post up Photos of the charger once i start pulling it apart or does this come under warranty as its now 6 months old.

bowlofsalad said:
Are you certain the charger is getting power?

Have you checked the fuse?

Yes ive checked the 250v fuse inside the charger and im getting power to two of the Capacitors but not the 3rd large one. I dont know enough about these but i have taken it apart and nothing is black or even smells like anything has been burnt.20140921_104716.jpg
20140921_104632.jpg

you should identify the switching transistors and then test them in place by probing the collector emitter to see if it is shorted or burned open. enter the transistor part number into google to find the data sheet.

dnmun said:
you should identify the switching transistors and then test them in place by probing the collector emitter to see if it is shorted or burned open. enter the transistor part number into google to find the data sheet.

Thanks dnmun

Ill look into that as soon as im back home today. Ive got my mother inlaw here for 6 weeks and she is helping me look after my partner so ive picked up some work from my old boss for a few weeks which is good.

Next thing ill need to do is find out which is the switching transistors so i can google them.

Back