28,000 watt Motoped with 3kwh of nano-tech

Details on the battery compartment please 8) How are your bricks going to be stacked & arranged :?:

Guess while we're on the subject, what charging solution are you planning :?:

I'm on the wagon with everyone else. Beautiful build :!:

The packs will be 4 wide in the box with a total of 8 at the bottom, four a cross the top, and the rest on an angle matching the curve in the middle.

I am using a PSC1000 Meanwell power supply set at 50.15 volts for charging. It charges at 1,200 watts.

Matt

Way more progress than what I've done, still haven't received my rear shock. Work and riding keeps getting in the way as well :roll:

Can't wait to see the performance stats and range. That battery box is huge, but blends well. I'm hoping to do a dual conversion with my setup and utilize just the current mounting points to swap out setups. Run gas when up north and electric around town.

Yes the box is huge. I want huge power and very long range. So, a big box was unavoidable. At this point, I think I will powder-coat the box black to help make it look a bit smaller.

Matt

Beautiful machine Matt! You are craftsman of rare quality my friend.

Doin' it right as usual.. i await video... :)

The big question for me is the looks. The size of the pack dictated the shape of the box to a large degree. Also, the box shape and drive system location (and orientation) are partly dictated by the all weather [snow] design. But, with all of that, I still want it to look good. The main frame and battery box will be powder-coated semi gloss black. The exposed CNC aluminum parts may stay bare aluminum or I may have them anodized black. I have not decided yet.

Also, I am trying to decide wether or not to house the controllers inside the battery box. Right now the plan is to house them in a second enclosure where the gas tank used to be. I am undecided on what that enclosure will look like. But, I am leaning toward TIGing an enclosure similar in shape to the tank and housing the remaining electronics inside.

I have a few pictures to post. I will try to do that this afternoon.

Matt

Here are some pictures for you.

The box is nearly finished. The opening is at the rear. I will make a G10 (fiberglass) cover for it. Also, I have decided to TIG a faux gas tank to hold the controllers and various bits in a weather proof manor. That project should begin Wednesday.

The gearing was too high with the stock rear sprocket (besides, the stock sprocket is CRAP). So, I went from 34 tooth stock to 52 tooth. I had this sprocket made by Rebel Gears. It took 10 days to receive and is flawless. Their prices are reasonable too, depending on the options you want. I may stock a couple rear sprockets for Motopeds because I have sold a number of drives for them and I have a few other inquiries.

Since the new sprocket is bigger than stock, I had to get a longer chain. So, I opted for a gold chain. And, just for kicks, I ordered a second gold chain for the small jackshaft chain on the other side.

I am not sure about the Q-factor on this thing. It is crazy wide. That makes for extreme ease of component mounting, but it looks, well, kind of stupid when viewed from underneath. Thankfully not too many people will be looking at it from the under side. :D

Matt

Attachments

• 100_8488.JPG
    100_8488.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 3,307
  • 100_8490.JPG
    100_8490.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 3,307
  • 100_8494.JPG
    100_8494.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 3,307
  • 100_8493.JPG
    100_8493.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 3,307
  • 100_8495.JPG
    100_8495.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 3,307
Does this use standard mtb chain on the cranks?
If yes you could use half link chain (which comes in gold too) hopefully eliminating the need for the chain tensioner
darren

I am using the normal White Industries freewheel on the output shaft of the drive unit.

Yes, the pedal chain is a normal BMX chain. In fact, it came with a half link added to the chain to obtain a better length. I may, indeed, go with a half link chain. I have one on the shelf right now not being used. :)

The only question mark for the drive system is the 420 chain driven by the White Industries bicycle freewheel. The pitch is correct, but the 420 chain is twice as wide. The chain is very short. So, I assume [hope?] it will track straight on the White freewheel even though there is a lot of play there from the added width. Personally, I do not mind doing something custom there. But, I have customers adding these drives to their Motopeds. So, I want to make sure it all works well with as many stock parts as possible.

Oh, I just received a $2,400 box of large 95 tooth pulleys from Pfeifer Industries for stock. They have a new look (and are lighter). I will be running one of those new style pullies in this drive. I will post pictures of the new style pulley soon. :mrgreen:

Matt

A bit off topic, but on the points about the wheel sizes, it brought up exactly what I thought when I first saw motopeds...
'Why?'

(And I would be interested to hear if there's a genuine reason.)

From the 50cc ICE version - from what I can see they weigh the same as a similar pit bike, but have less suitable components (well, if you had decent quality pit bike ones - no doubt decent mountain bike stuff will last better than 5$ pit bike items).
If you add an extra 10kg you get an 85cc motocross bike that is massively more capable in pretty much every way and can be bought pretty cheaply second hand.

Many years ago I'd thought about a similar design - but my thought was a 6hp 2 stroke 39cc minimoto engine that shouldn't weigh too much (the entire minimoto is around 20kg).

On all that, I've got/had/ridden a few (ICE) dirt bikes around 25kw (ie I've got a 144 and 200 KTM at the moment) - I wouldn't want to be doing the stuff I do on them with push bike components.

The power your dirt bikes have is not the reason for the overall strength and durability of the various components. The reason for the extreme durability of your dirt bikes is jumping, more than anything else. Putting 25kw to the ground does not require the same amount of strength of wheels and chassis as super cross riding. I have put this much power through bicycle (high end bicycle) components many times. My recent Diamondback X6 build is a prime example of that. The driveline of this Motoped is far more rugged than anything I have ever built. That being said, this is not a super cross bike. It will be used for general trail riding with an emphasis on wheelie ability and snow riding. Power wheelies require a lot of peak power. Riding in snow uses huge power and drains batteries very quickly. So, that is why it is being built with so much power.

Personally, I think it would look better with slightly smaller wheels. But, for the riding it will be seeing, I bet these will handle best.

I may move to motocross rims and spokes if I feel the need. I have already looked into it. :)

Matt

I tend towards enduro more than motocross - I'm not that great at jumping sadly.
And it was from this I was thinking along those lines - I've ridden enough cross country events with ICE powered and foot powered to see the difference the machines get put through.
One of the reasons I love enduro (unfortunately my wrists don't, so not done much recently :( ) is that it's like riding the fun down hill bits of a push bike cross country, but faster and the same speeds uphill too.

I'm surprised you mention snow riding. I have a bit of experience with that - I've used various bikes in the snow from a GSXR1000 to a KTM 690 with studded tyres for hard-pack road riding (can't be doing with the traffic we get here when we get snow).
Thin tyres don't do well in my experience. This isn't mine, but I recently got one of these with the intention of using it for snow fun if we get any this year - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtaD-LKwIgg - big wide wheels are what is needed from what I've seen. Ideally I want to replace the front wheel with a second rear and add an electric motor above the front wheel to make it two wheel drive. But many other 'projects' first.

I recently got some 17/14 rims for a (normal, not fat tyred) pit bike I've got and while the tyres weren't amazing, as you'd expect when the whole lot cost £70 including the wheels, I'd still say they offer a fair bit better traction than mountain bike tyres - obviously mountain biking people tend to worry about rolling resistance and rotational inertia a good chunk more.

I'd say wheelies require a fair bit of torque, but often less so power, unless you're intentionally keeping them low - so they need low down power then either very little if you're keeping them at the balance point, or a bit less below - the lower down the wheel is and thus harder acceleration, the more power is needed.

_g_ said:
I tend towards enduro more than motocross - I'm not that great at jumping sadly.
And it was from this I was thinking along those lines - I've ridden enough cross country events with ICE powered and foot powered to see the difference the machines get put through.
One of the reasons I love enduro (unfortunately my wrists don't, so not done much recently :( ) is that it's like riding the fun down hill bits of a push bike cross country, but faster and the same speeds uphill too.

I'm surprised you mention snow riding. I have a bit of experience with that - I've used various bikes in the snow from a GSXR1000 to a KTM 690 with studded tyres for hard-pack road riding (can't be doing with the traffic we get here when we get snow).
Thin tyres don't do well in my experience. This isn't mine, but I recently got one of these with the intention of using it for snow fun if we get any this year - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtaD-LKwIgg - big wide wheels are what is needed from what I've seen. Ideally I want to replace the front wheel with a second rear and add an electric motor above the front wheel to make it two wheel drive. But many other 'projects' first.

I recently got some 17/14 rims for a (normal, not fat tyred) pit bike I've got and while the tyres weren't amazing, as you'd expect when the whole lot cost £70 including the wheels, I'd still say they offer a fair bit better traction than mountain bike tyres - obviously mountain biking people tend to worry about rolling resistance and rotational inertia a good chunk more.

I'd say wheelies require a fair bit of torque, but often less so power, unless you're intentionally keeping them low - so they need low down power then either very little if you're keeping them at the balance point, or a bit less below - the lower down the wheel is and thus harder acceleration, the more power is needed.
Where I live all the snow trails become extremely hard packed almost instantly. So, these wheels and tires should do the job. I agree about wheelies requiring alot of torque. That is exactly what this system delivers, chain snapping torque and TONS of it.

Matt

I did some measuring and found that I can increase the crank sprocket from the stock 34 tooth up to 44 tooth. This is a good because that will help add back in the ratio change that occurred from the pedals to the wheel when I increased the rear sprocket tooth count. :)

Also, the overly wide Q factor does not feel all that bad when sitting on the bike. It looks weird, but actually feels fine. In fact, to a certain degree, I kind of like the added width. It feels more solid when sitting on the bike. It is hard to explain unless you sit on one yourself. I do not think I will mind the wide cranks much at all.

Matt

recumpence said:
I do not think I will mind the wide cranks much at all.
That's good to hear 8) Something I always questioned, but as you say needs to be experienced.
Looking REAL good Matt... I seriously can not wait for the vid of this one!

Kevin

Odds are this bike will be for sale when it is finished. It will be expensive, though (LOTS of custom work). :D

Most of my bikes are sold to fund the next project. This one will be a lot of fun, though. So, I may get too hooked to sell it.

We shall see......

Matt

recumpence said:
Most of my bikes are sold to fund the next project.

...and to clear up space for that next project! (at least in my case). :lol:

recumpence said:
Hey Guys,

This is my personal motoped. It is running 25,000 watts of twin fan cooled 5 turn delta 3220s. I have 3kwh (12S 72ah) of nano-tech lipo going in front of the motors.

I am busy, but I will do my best to keep this thread up to date as I build.

Matt

Matt!
You Sir are one of the reasons I'm here on this forum! Precision Mind.....Precision Work!
\m/ . . \m/

Subscribed!

Tommy L sends.....

I have had a few things on my plate lately and I have been waiting on prototype pulleys and other parts for the Motoped. The pulleys are in as are the other custom parts for the drive system. So, I am planning on doing some work on it this weekend. Hopefully I will have some decent pictures for you guys soon. Some of the additional work I have been doing is related to new drive system development. I hope to begin a new thread on that as well soon.

This bike will be using a completely new drive system using only a couple carry-over parts from my previous systems. The main pulley is new, the belt is new, the shaft is new, the bearings are new, and the shaft coupling components are all new. This system is designed to handle more than twice the power of my previous drive systems.

You will see what I mean when I post pictures.

Matt

recumpence said:
This system is designed to handle more than twice the power of my previous drive systems.

Drool. :mrgreen: I'm looking forward to it!

-JD

Back