29er MTB build

I thinking of installing a bms that also balance my cellss indivually , anyone got a good suggestion 18s bms ?

based on what i read. discharging with the battery medics is not reliable. some people cant get a consistent discharge enough to balance, whereas others do not have any problems at all.

its a potential way to discharge but i decided its not worth the risk.

looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

The hobbyking medics don't do the job good enough what i excpected that they do.
I takes hours for the medic to even drain 1 cel -0.1V.
So iam looking for a bms that constant watch my cells an balance them .

I also noticed some unbalance in my packs some celss are 4.15V while others are 4.20V watch is the range of unbalance for a safe operation ?

Thats a bummer the medics are sooo slow. I see my cells recharge fairly uniformly, but some unbalance like lowest might be 4.15 while one has finished at 4.2 . I'm no lipo expert. I was hopeing someone would jump in to answere that one. but mine go way out of balance on low discharge. they were all over the place the other day when i had the 18s pack down to 60v (woops). have you got any ideas so far? the bms web site had something but didnt look into it...
http://www.bmsbattery.com/5-bmspcm

The 24s bms forn bmsbattery sounds promising . its to bad that they didnt put a metal box around it.
I will search the forum if someone has used this unit for 18s lipo setup.

Update ,

Everythings works really fine but the controller was getting quite hot inside the bag so i placed is outside on the frame.
The battery voltages drops pretty fast, so maybe iam must some extra zippy packs to get more range out of the packs , i now have 18s10ah but iam thinking to get 18s15ah.

I only have more problem , and that is that i cant get the regen function to work . I connected a push button on the brakes, but nothing happens when iam pushing it. Is there some kind of adjustment that i must fix to get the regen work good ?

Hi Stefan,

Regarding your batteries. With the current relatively cold weather, your lipos will have a much lower capacity as when it is warmer outside. You may want to try to store them inside in the house. I expect you will find them performing much better when warm.

Regarding regen, it depends on your controller. Some controllers have a separate wire that needs connected before regen can work. Some controllers need programming to have regen work. Tell us more about your controller, from whom did you buy it, add some pictures, and we may be able to help.

The controller is a lyen 12 FET 4110 MOSFET MK2 sensorless Controller LYEN Edition
its has got a white wire that must be connected to enable regen , en i connected the push button the brakes.
The push button cuts the power to motor, but it doesnt regen . Do i must apply some settings in the CA ?

here are some pics
By the way till what voltage do you guys discharge the lipos ?

View attachment 2
View attachment 1
onder.jpg

stefan010 said:
By the way till what voltage do you guys discharge the lipos ?
I discharge up to 3.70v but every now and then it does get down to 3.65 but no more

I consider a range between 3.0 and 4.23V way too large and dangerous. If you browse the forum, most people will charge up to maximally 4.20V, or lower, and discharge to maximally 3.5V, preferably higher. You will find graphs that below 3.6V some lipos already can plummet down to no charge at all, which is what you really want to prevent. You also want to prevent overcharging of any lipo, aka higher than 4.2V.

So, I charge up to 4.19V, and discharge down to 3.60V. With 20S, my Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC) in the CA is set at 72V, aka 3.60V at cell level.

Hey stefan , nice bike man :)

Can you please tell me how you have connected the regen button because we are having the same setup and i thin you connected it in the wrong place.Where did you connected the switch take a pic close up to the connector? in between the white wire ? so you can enable or disable regen ?

Also when you order your controller from lyen did you ask for the hydraulic kit for the regen ? If the connector you are using has two wires its not going to work but it will just cut your motors power.

I connected the swith/ psuh button on the ebrake .

There is also a white wire with a jumper connector on it , that is connected to together to enable regen.

I connected Lyen for the problem , when i ordered i didnt ask lyen for the regen .
He told me that the default value is set to 55Volt . But my setup is for 18s = 70v so i think thats the problem regen dont work.
I ordered the usb programming adapter , so i can change these setting , and hope the problem is fixed and the regen will work.

stefan010 said:
I connected the swith/ psuh button on the ebrake .

There is also a white wire with a jumper connector on it , that is connected to together to enable regen.

I connected Lyen for the problem , when i ordered i didnt ask lyen for the regen .
He told me that the default value is set to 55Volt . But my setup is for 18s = 70v so i think thats the problem regen dont work.
I ordered the usb programming adapter , so i can change these setting , and hope the problem is fixed and the regen will work.

Probably that's the case if you didn't ask for lyen to setup the controller for 18s pack.Hope you get your regen up ;) You might consider upgrading your TA's when you got your regen the one you got will not be good for 18s regen.At least in my case i needed better TA's from both sides but i have the T motor configuration not the S.

Well I recieved my programming cable, so hopefully i can get the regen working , does anybody know on wich voltage you must program the regen function for a 18s pack ?

I got the regen working .

But i must work on my torque arms setup , because the regen gives me to much stress on my torque arm, ( it moved a litle bit )

The regen problem solved , but there is have another problem .

My freewheel is already half broke , the wheel makes a weird noise and the lock ring is loose . It was sunrace 11t 9 speed freewheel wicht brand of freewheel do you guys use ?

Back