2WD Semi-Recumbent Recycled-Parts Cargo eBike: "CrazyBike2"

:p

found an old bimetallic therm, but markings only go down to 20F. needle went below that to what might be 15F. mercury therm says 8-10F, i think i believe the bimetal one.

some pics of the frost in 730am predawn light, twilight setting so blurry since i cant hold it steady. last two w/flash so much better; dog groupshot and 1/4" frozen-topped 3-gallon water pan.

DSC03904.JPG
DSC03905.JPG

hachi is confused by rock "floating" on "hard" water. :lol:
DSC03906.JPG

DSC03908.JPG
DSC03909.JPG

amberwolf said:
I just heard the most awfulest weirdest noise just outside my bedroom window, kinda like a cat being flung round a ceiling fan

Ahh, so you did get the ceiling fan mounted on the bike... :roll: How's it work keeping the cats off the bike?

Eventually I hope to have a cieling fan motor *running* the bike, if that counts. :p

Regarding the snow yesterday: From a friend in Missouri, who works at a TV station there, is a pic that a guy from his sister TV station in Phoenix sent to him of the station here in Phoenix right after the storm:

Click on pic for full size version and dramatic horizontal icicles!

It's a lot warmer right now, around 50F or so outside when the sun peeks out, several degrees less when it doesn't. It's still 56F in this room, and still warming up in the rest of the house, last checked it was 48F. (with doors and windows opened to let it warm up faster).

Not really getting anything done on the bikes that I'd planned, though, partly because it's so cold my hands hurt too much and arent' workng very well. But mostly because Loki is frightened of the fireworks kids keep setting off out there and keeps trying to climb in my lap everytime I sit down to do anything. Bonnie just gets underfoot trying to stay somewhere near me; Hachi doesn't care about the noise, and Fred just wants to play with Hachi. Nana is undecided if she wants to chase the noises down or protect me from them. :roll:

I think I had better just stay here tonight instead of riding out to a party/gathering I'd been considering.

amberwolf said:
pic...of the station here in Phoenix right after the storm
I think I had better just stay here tonight instead of riding out to a party/gathering I'd been considering.
WOW, that's a very pretty techie-nature photo, rare beauty! 8) No doubt, one can tell the wind direction! :shock: :lol:

Did you ever figure out what that freaky sound was last night? (It was like a bedtime story reading your post w/5 furry friends. :lol: :p )

No doubt the furry ones will be happy you stayed and protected them from the sound-works at midnight. :mrgreen:

Never found out for sure what it was. My two guesses are a cat that got surprised by something, a bird that croaked out it's last as it froze to death, with a third possibility that a cat trying to climb up the tree for a warmer spot than the damp ground met a bird and they surprised each other into simultaneous wierd noise that combined to make somethng I couldn't really recognize.

Since the wind started kicking up an hour or two ago, it's gotten several degrees colder--it's only 41-42F out at the front wall that's facing the nice sunshiny sky and the dark street surface. In back it's even colder, even in the sun. Windchill would make that even worse if I were out in it; I suspect that with windchill it'd be well below freezing at the moment, if I were riding at normal speeds. I'm not equipped to deal with that, as it is hardly ever that cold here, so I am probably going to avoid riding in it as long as I can. :) I closed up the house as soon as it got breezy, becuase that started cooling it back off instead of warming it up. :(

I am sure that I could rig up heaters in my gloves, by taking a couple of small heating pads I have here apart and routing the wires inside the gloves between the glove and liner on the outer part of the hand, and then running that off the traction pack. It'd be fairly wasteful of power, even if I also made some soda-bottle wind-deflectors for the handlebars, but it would probably keep my hands warm enough to not fall off. :lol: If I don't have to pedal it's easy enough to bundle up the rest of me in layers to keep warm, although getting on and off the bike is an adventure that way. ;)

I havent' much else I can do just at the moment, so I am pondering various things about my bike projects, including something I haven't thought about for a long time:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24034&start=0
an Automatic Variable Rake system, which is probably a really dumb idea. :lol:

Also some more stuff over in my DayGlo Avenger thread:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=348491#p348491

The poor NiMH hasn't been doing all that well in the cold. Voltage tends to drop down to 41-42V on my ride home, after it's sat in the 55F warehouse room for a few hours, after my short hard-on-batteries ride to work. It's also pretty cold in the house, too, getting down to 35-40F in the front room, and 45F at the packs themselves (with the charger trickling thru them, I guess it keeps them warmer). So even on my trip to work, they don't fare too well, starting at 56.6V and quickly sagging under load to 45-47V, dropping to more like 42-43V under heaviest load by the time I get to work.

Max current I can pull is really a lot lower, too, down to only about 23-24A regardless of voltage or SOC, during the hard part while it starts me up from a stop. IIRC it was about 35-40A+ during hot weather (haven't looked at the older posts to find out).

I don't know how it has affected range, as I have not gone on any trips that would take it all yet, nor left it without charging for enough work trips to do it.

Still taking about the same Ah/Wh to charge them vs discharge, something like 1.5x, as expected.

On a slightly different subject, SpinningMagnets' stickers work nicely on the cargo pod:
DSC03910.JPG

I'm wanting to stick one as a "bumper sticker", too, but figured just one on the side would be best first use, as I want to put the other sticker on a different bike. Since this side panel and lid get moved between CB2 and DGA as needed (depending on which I'm riding, as I only have the one panel lock with key to use to lock the lid with), this sticker will serve both of those bikes. The other sticker will end up on whichever other bike I finish next, I guess. :)

Or maybe I'll make a "bumper sticker hanger", that I can attach to a rear reflector/light mount, perhaps under a taillight/license-plate light, so that I can just move it from bike to bike as I ride different ones for whatever reason.

Either way, it beats the heck out of my hand-painted stuff, like the old sign on DGA, which while large is far from neat:
file.php

Forgot to mention yesterday, but the other thing that doesn't like the cold is my turn signals. :(

I've been having problems since the first temperature drops, but they've been worse lately. Especially at night, I have to keep touching one or another of the connections for the signals, either at the lamp itself, the harness connection to the lighting unit, or the thermal blinker unit. More frequently I find I must disconnect and reconnect the harness ground or power connections to the lighting units, and too-frequently the blinker wires.

The ones in the harness are the little automotive bullets, which are a simple rolled-tube with slit, like a C shape, but expanding the interior bullet or compressing the outer shell that mates over it doesn't fix the problem for very long. The ones on the blinker are quick-connect spades, and they stay fixed longer by compressing them, but not long enough.

I sometimes get a whole ride done before they have trouble, but more often I have to stop two or three times (sometimes lots more) to fix them, as I begin to signal for a lane change or a turn and find that they're NOT BLINKING. :( In teh daytime I can still use a hand-signal, and my dayglo snowboarding gloves are fairly effective in making those clear to those few people that seem to still know what hand-signals mean :roll: but at night hand-signals are simply not useful, without a light ON my hand.

I'm about ready to just solder the dang things, but it won't fix the last problem: the lamps themselves sometimes are coming unseated from the sockets! This does not happen in warmer temperatures, and I have yet to trace where the problem mechanically lies. Mostly it happens in the left front unit, sometimes the left rear or right rear. So far, not in the right front (which is funny as it is the one that got ripped off in my sliding crash at the Undead Race, and has twice before that been battered in various falls of the bike--perhaps it has deformed the plastic housing or the metal lamp socket so that it better grips the bulb?).

One last problem is that below about 35F, the switch on the handlebars for the signals simply doesn't engage unless I push downward/inward on it a little bit, to put more pressure on the contacts. Once it does engage and start to blink, it has no trouble for up to a minute or two afterward, even if I shut the signal off, as it has warmed up the contacts enough to work for that short time. But once it cools again, I have to wiggle it or press on it for up to several seconds to get it to work again. That's bad in traffic. :(

The only good thing is that typically there arent' many cars on the road at the times I am having such troubles. But it is very annoying.

After having no troubles with it for a day or so, I suddenly had a complete failure of the turn signals about halfway to work this afternoon. I poked and prodded during lunch at work, but found nothing wrong with the connections. Only symptom this time is that usually the blinker would click on but never light anything up, indicating a possible problem inside it (different from all the previous issues).

After I got home, I found that it was indeed the blinker; fortunately it was fixable (as I don't have another one, and no time to build a new one just now).

It's not a simple thermal blinker, but instead uses a resistor to charge up a capacitor that triggers the coil on the relay. The contact on the relay flows thru the bulb to charge the cap, I think (haven't actually diagrammed it), which turns off the coil and restarts the process until the turn signal switch is shut off (cutting the ground out of the circuit).
DSC03911.JPG
The relay contact pad has either worn or just accumulated too much carbon (or something) from the arcing it gets during switching. I used some old Radio Shack cleaning fluid with a brush scrubber tip that someone gave me (because it had run out of pressure, sitting around for years), and scrubbed between the contacts with a piece of paper soaked in the cleaner, for a couple of minutes.

Can't actually see the contacts in the pics, but this is the top view, showing all the crimped-together parts.
DSC03915.JPG
Now it works, although it has an odd stutter as it first starts working. It's been around since 1985, so it's had a long life (although I have no idea how often the scooter's owner actually used signals :lol:). Hopefully it will keep working until I have time to build something to replace it. And hopefully I won't get any of the other problems back to compound it. :roll:

In other news I forgot to post a few days ago, the kickstand I'd put on a while back that seemed to be working just suddenly gave way, when I was about to leave work. I put it down and set the bike on it, so that I could put on my helmet gloves and glasses, and had just gotten the helmet halfway on my head when the bike fell over against my leg, almost knocking me down (and leaving a hefty bruise that's still healing, though it's invisible just in the muscles).

The crack is pretty obvious, but I put a red ellipse around it in the pics anyway. :)
DSC03917.JPG
It's actually fixable, and I might do so, as it worked pretty well up until then--better than any other kickstand other than the two-leg type I'd originally made for CB2, before it was broken off by the weight. :)
DSC03918.JPG
I'll need to weld a plate across each end of it, so that it cannot split across the ends like this again. So in the pics, it'd get a complete plate in the purple outline, with a closure plate in the green area to stiffen that, and a weld within the yellow ellipse to close up the front and back plates.
DSC03916.JPG

THen the weak points will be A) that the hinge point could bend or break, like always, or B) that the whole thing could still rotate within the stays (since it just clamps in place with a single bolt pressing it's curved surfaces against the stays). Or of course the kickstand tube itself bending or breaking.

Been noting down Wh/mile usages for a bit, and it seems that at least in these colder temperatures my trip to work takes about 25-26Wh/mile, trying to keep it at 20MPH as much as I can.

Doing the same thing for my ride home after work tends to be more like 20-23Wh/mile. Today it was actually only 18Wh/mile. :shock: But I think it has to do with the cold, partly, because the typical amp draw I see is also a lot lower on the way home--more than I think would happen from the discharge on the way to work.

The back room where I store the bike while at work is normally not heated/cooled much by the store's system, so it gets up to 85-90F in there easily in summer, and it drops down below 50F and stays there thru the day in winter. Today, all but three of the many overhead lighting units were not on for the entire day, and had not been on all night either, so the heat they'd provide wasnt' there. I think it was about 45F back there (I know I had to put my sweater on over my uniform to be back there for lunch, and I was still cold, even with the sweatpants I already wear under the uniform pants, the double socks, and the tshirt or two under the uniform shirt).

I expect it would get a lot colder at night, like right before dawn, but I haven't worked mornings in a while so I'm not sure exactly what temperature it might drop to.

So the battery would be chilled more than in my house, as at my house it's on the charger all night, being trickled at a few mA, whereas it's not while I'm at work. Plus I think it is colder in the back room at work during the night than it gets in my house, as the room at work is on the north side of the building and gets no direct sun, whereas the front room of my house is on the south side and gets full sun all day long, warming it some.

Since the battery can't output as much current, the watts are necessarily less as well. It's not so much a drop in voltage as it just seems "current limited" by the chemistry at that temperature.

I want to get the Vpower pack in it's casing (once that is made--still waiting for the Kydex, and still looking for mousepads) and test it in place of the NiMH, to see what difference it might make, and how it fares in the cold.

I used to have the license-plate illuminator window on the bottom of hte taillight taped off, to focus more light to the rear, but it's so bright I don't really need to do that, so last night I took the tape off of the middle 1/3 of that clear window, to let it light up the back end of the bike some.
DSC03928.JPG
It doesn't shine any white light itself to the rear, so it should be safe and legal. With the camera on the same normal setting as the pic above, this is the side view. You can see the CA's light for comparison, facing partly to the side since the bars are turning the wheel right:
View attachment 2
From the same side it looks like this, with the camera set to "twilight":
DSC03926.JPG
to get better idea of the details of things.

It lights up the cargo pod top and the wheel and some other stuff ok, but one thing I think I want lit up is the back of the seat, especially because the CFL emits UV and the dayglo vest I've got as a seat cover will glow a bit from that, making it even more visible.

To do this I can either make a couple of holes in the back of the taillight for light to shine thru, or just pull the bulb back out a bit, and secure it with a clear plastic ring that will let light thru toward the seat, but still hold the light bulb into the casing.

In other news, the plywood didnt' last too long for Nana's bedroom door to secure her in there when I'm gone, so I took some old server rack case lids and screwed them to the plywood. So far she hasn't actually destroyed those, but she's working on it:
DSC03919.JPG

DSC03920.JPG
I'm gonna have to work harder on getting more BBQ grills, oven racks, and the like to put the kennel together. I think I have about half of what I need; will start working on it tomorrow if possible (kinda sick right now, been getting worse all day).

The night ES went down (14th?), on my way home in the dark I almost got to experience Dogman's fun: crashing into someone walking in the road. If it had gone down for me like it did for him, it would not have gone so easily on the pedestrian this time, as I was riding CrazyBike2, which would be a total of 300lbs+ moving at 20MPH....

Fortunately I had seen him on the sidewalk quite a ways before I got there, as a silhouette against some other lighting, apparently dressed all in black, just meandering his way along the sidewalk on the same side of the road as I was riding the bike lane of, where it curves around a shopping center.

As I got closer, I lost sight of him because the streetlights right there are all out, and so is all the lighting on the sides of the unoccupied stores on the opposite side of the road, and at that time of night it's rare for any lights to be on in the apartments on our side of the road. So black against black....

Just as he came within range of my CFL headlight (about 20-25 feet, because of the black clothes) and I could see him again, I decided to move left for no real reason, and just after that, at the moment the No Parking sign a few feet in front of him lit up from my lights, he also turned left and just stepped off the sidewalk to cross the street (nowhere near the intersection or any other good safe place to cross, but rather in the darkest part of the street), and THEN he looked to see if anyone was coming.

I swerved harder left to ensure I wouldn't be anywhere near him, and he almost fell on his butt out of surprise that I was there. You'd think he'd've noticed the sign lighting up, even if he was not paying attention to any sounds (it was so quiet that he could have easily heard my motor and my wheels grinding leaves/seedpods/gravel on the road; it sounded as loud as the average newer/quiet cars do).

But no, he noticed nothing until after he made what could have been a fatal decision for him if I had been a car. A car on that road would've been going over twice as fast as I was (20MPH), and they tend to swing pretty wide on that curve (enough to worry me a lot sometimes as they pass me, and there are tire marks on the curb where they've occasionally nearly (or even completely) gone onto the sidewalk because they don't generally slow down enough to make the turn).

Anyway, on my way home tonight (via a different route due to an extremely loud live-band car-dealer event along my usual path), this nearly happened again in a different place, this time not to me but to a regular bicyclist I was about to overtake and pass. He had a pretty bright LED flashlight, with a good beam, just about as bright as a car headlight (brighter than my CFL and a better beam by far). Taillight was just a blinky, barely even visible, but the headlight was good.

A group of younger people, probably teenagers, were all walking on the sidewalk as a kind of roiling moving mass, kind of jostling each other about, all talking loudly and unlikely to hear anything on the road except maybe a Harley or a loud car stereo. :roll: Just as he (in the bike lane) approached them, one of them got jostled too hard and fell flat on their back in the road, and the cyclist came within maybe an inch of running over his head, trying his damndest to swerve out of the way of the guy. But since the cyclist had not moved left at all in preparation to pass the group, he didn't have nearly the options that I had had when the guy stepped out in front of me a couple nights ago.

I saw all this as I was a few car lengths back from them, already moved out of the bike lane and still moving left thru the regular lane (empty of all other traffic for some distance), with my left signal still going. Just as I was about to consider slowing down or stopping to see if everything was ok, one of the group of pedestrians threw something at the cyclist (missing widely) and yelled out some obscenity; the cyclist that had been slowing and curving to come back to see if the fallen guy was ok instead just sped up and went much faster (even faster than I can go on CB2, about 24MPH or so right now), and I just sped up and went on, too. If they're gonna throw crap at us, they can fix their own cracked skulls or whatever. :(

As I got around the corner a couple hundred feet further down, the cyclist was standing next to a parked police car, presumably advising him of what just happened. I began to slow, but the cop waved me on and then also waved the cyclist on, and began to pull out and turn around to go back the way we'd just come. I don't know what happened after that.

The rest of my ride home was uneventful, except for one car two lanes over from me honking as they went past, for no reason I could see. Because of the longer ride, with much more time at 20MPH (almost two miles straight, with one stop light at the 0.5 mile and another at the 1.5 mile mark), I expected worse efficiency, but the Wh/mile went up from a typical 24-26Wh/mile to only 26.7Wh/mile.

Total trip:
5.962 miles
23MPH max
15.3MPH avg
23m 17s time in motion (probably at least 10m more spent waiting at lights)

3.388Ah
157.91Wh
26.7Wh/mile

57.1Vstart
40.8Vmin
51Vrest

Total return trip home wasn't much longer than usual, a bit less than a mile extra. Overall efficiency was actually better than my typical commute + Fry's trip, such as this one:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=348286#p348286
that ended up at nearly 28Wh/mile.

Goodwill on 75th Ave and Indian School is closing/moving, so they are having an everything's-a-dollar sale today and tomorrow. Since I was off today I went down to see what might be left. Not much since I got there three hours after it started, and I guess it had been 75% off the day before that I didn't know about (or forgot, I dunno).

I was hoping to find a few things for the bikes, but all I found was a really pink-pink sleeveless women's shirt that is now a pullover seatcover, much more visible in dusk/dawn situations than my dayglo yellow/green safety-vest cover (whcih worked well enough in daylight situations). Still working out exactly what I'll do to make it permanent, such as finding a dayglo yellow/green tshirt and stitching alternate panels of each together, or stripes, or something.

I also found a dayglo orange tshirt and slightly faded matching jogging pants that will do for the current weather for riding visibility, nicer than the stuff I have at the moment (and much less faded).
DSC03949.JPG
Found a Quorum panic screamer, too, which might become a bike alarm at some point.

The trip itself was fun and great weather for it, although a little more windy against teh directions I was riding out there than I'd like. Since it was such a long trip (nearly 25 miles) I pedalled a lot to keep amp draw down. To make that effective, I also had to stay under 17-18MPH, as I'd have to spin the cranks really fast to do anything above that, and even that speed is pushing the bounds of comfortable cadence. I guess I need a bigger front chainring, or re-add the jackshaft for gearing up more.

The one problem I had was that if I cranked hard enough at the higher 2-3 gears to really put a decent amount into it, the chain would start slipping on the cogs back there. Not sure if there is insufficient chainwrap or if the tension is simply too low for such a long chainline. I suspect the latter, and that that length of chain is too heavy for the derailer's springs to tension up properly. It's one of the lower-end Shimano offerings from the 80s, I think.

Mostly I kept the amp draw between 2-4A, at the low end of that where possible. At first, with the warmer temperatures, I could draw the max 40A+ from the pack starting from a stop, but after a few miles it was down to 20A, and by the beginning of the trip back (after they'd cooled off for around an hour in the breeze outside) 14-16A is all I could pull from a total stop.

On the way back I wasn't so conservative, and on Glendale Ave fro 63rd to 31st I kept at the top speed that the batteries had left in them, while cranking as quickly as I could to keep being useful, and managed about 19.5-19.9MPH the whole way. Only had to stop for three lights, two in downtown Glendale and one at I think 43rd Ave, since most of the lights are timed for about 40MPH, and I was doing roughly half that. Sometimes I couldn't quite keep up cranking and the amps would jump to 9-10A, but mostly it was around 4-5A. Voltage had dropped to 43-44V at most under load at that point.

By the end of that run, I couldn't pull more than 4-5A even from a dead stop no pedalling, and the motor wouldn't actually start me up without me pedalling too. it would help a lot once I got faster than 7-8MPH, but below that it might as well not have been there. :(

I definitely wouldn't have made it all the way and back without pedalling. Guessing I'd've gotten 3/4 of the way or less, with the wind against me all the way there and part of the way back.

Since these are well-abused 13Ah NiMH, I suppose it's good enough that I could get the nearly 9Ah out of them that I did on this trip. I could probably get more when the weather is warmer, but today it was perhaps 70F or so for most of the trip there, and down to 60F on the way back. It's still a lot better than it was a few weeks ago, with most of my rides at 50F and below. :)

If it had gotten much worse at the end and I'd had more to travel than I did, I'd've taken the 12V 13Ah lighting pack and seriesed it with the traction pack, though I'd lose turn signals and brake light doing it. It'd still not get me more current, but I'd've gotten more voltage and so more speed out of it. Better than nothing, I guess. :) Might hurt the traction pack to do that though, for very long, if it's already that low. Even as bad as it was, the main pack never got below 41.2V (40-cells of NiMH, so above 1.0V each, assuming they're still balanced at that low a SOC).

Pack A is still lower capacity than Pack B, as their rest voltages were 0.8V apart when I got home. We'll see what it takes to charge them backup once it's done in a little while.

Numbers for it all:
57.2Vstart
47.2Vrest
(PackA= 23.2V)
(PackB=24.0V
41.2Vmin

45.39Amax
8.926Ah
416.25Wh
17.1Wh/mile

24.42miles
22.1MPH max
12.4MPH avg
58m 6s actual travel time (trip itself at least 2.5x that)

I also talked to a couple of people about the bike. One lady at Goodwill (that was waiting for someone that was helping her load up her wheelchair purchase) watched me as I rode into the parking lot and over to a signpost that I locked up at (nowhere else to lock to there). As I walked up to the storefront she asked how long I'd been building that bike, so I started talking to her about it's recycled-component theme, etc. She was a little interested, but not enough to get deep into any of it.

The second person was after I'd left, and was waiting to cross an intersection, with a really long light; he was in his car to my right (waiting to make a turn sicne traffid was pretty bad rigth there), and we talked a fair bit about it before the light changed. Maybe he'll show up here on ES, as he actually wrote down the forum address, to find help converting his bike.

In all that time on the roads, I usually have at least a few people honk at me as they pass me way too close (even if all the lanes are empty except for us), and a few yell at me to get off the road or some other nonsense. But today there was only one yeller, who I couldn't understand except that they sounded angry, even though as usual it was just the two of us and they had two lanes to the left of me to be in, and I was all the way to the right of the third lane. :roll:

But they kinda got their reward for that when they then gunned their SUV's engine, squealing tires and fishtailing a little all the way up to a light that turned red *just* before they got there, forcing them to skid partway into the intersection trying to stop (I think they were probably going 65 or 70MPH at that point, some 1/8mile ahead of me). A police car that had been waiting to cross that intersection came back and followed them a bit down the road, pulling them over presumably because of that reckless bit of driving. Then I passed the both of them and lost sight of them behind me after a bit. :)

Most everyone else on the road was pretty normal and reasonably safe-driving, though there were more than a few that passed too close during some heavy traffic bursts; not really a problem as I always leave myself some room on the right to swing over if I have to (as well as to avoid the worst of the road-edge damage, grates, etc).

A fun ride, even if I didn't get all the bargains I'd wanted. :)

About half an Ah of imbalance between the packs at this discharge level:

Pack A took 11.368Ah to charge, and B took 10.822, at the points that each shut off, as measured by TWM1(B) and TWM2(A). It took a few minutes longer for Pack A, about as long as it should for half an Ah at a 3A rate, so the difference is real.

A really bad oopsie today:
Copy of DSC03955.JPG
Yeah, that's my steering tie rod just hangin' loose there. :shock:

Fortunately it happened as I wheeled the bike out the front door, just before my ride to work. If it had happened in traffic, I don't want to think about it.

The bracket I had made out of a reflector mount from the bottom of the steering pivot on the handlebars snapped right along the first bend. I'd reinforced it with edge-welds and raised corner brackets, to triangulate it to prevent bending, but based on the rust in the cracks of those welds, I did a really crappy job of it and it's been breaking for quite a while.

The main crack is pretty shiny,
View attachment 1
DSC03955 bottom.JPG
so it is a recent break, but I am not sure when it occured--I doubt that it completely failed just crossing the threshold of the doorway, just walking it thru. I haven't hit any potholes with the front wheel recently, at least not big enough to notice more than usual.

I have a feeling it might be during my ride out to Goodwill last week, or rather, the ride back. There was a point when I had to push the bike up a short-ish (6-7 vertical feet?) dirt berm / embankment to get from a street's accessway onto the canal path, and it was such a steep angle that I barely managed to get the front wheel over before I had to stop. THe motor didn't help because the dirt just roostertailed, as all the weight was naturally on the back wheel with the nearly 45 degree slope at the middle of it. I lost my footing several times, and almost ended up on my face sliding downhill, and grabbed the bike in various places to keep from falling. I expect I must have grabbed the tie rod at some point, and that load combined with essentially hanging the bike from the front wheel put too much strain on that bracket.

Anyhow, it probably wouldn't have failed if my triangulation welding had been good enough, but that apparently never even penetrated properly, resulting in no strengthening, or at least so little that it just broke like this.

At least it tells me where my next modification of the bike will be at. :) I did a quick reweld on it just enough to get to work (since I didnt' get the rewiring of DayGlo Avenger's motor
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=355453#p355453
done yesterday), and it had no problems on the way there or back. When it gets light enough tomorrow I will have to see if it needs further reinforcement, until I can make a better steering arrangement, perhaps on Wednesday (my next day off).

I have wanted to redo the steering for a while, to eliminate the inability to have a tighter turn radius, but put it off since it did work "well enough", and I was used to how it turns already. And I already have too many projects going to keep fiddling with things that already work. :lol:

I'm still pondering the best and easiest method of dealing with the problem, using parts I already have and without major modifications to CB2 itself beyond the actual steering tie rod and mounts. Hopefully come up with something in the next day or less.

Oh, also, in addition to the steering failure above, I had an interesting ride in to work due to the very high winds, which were probably 20-30MPH or more at times, and pretty high most of the time.

I only got 38.8Wh/mile on the way in, compared to the usual 26-27!

I could not even go faster than 19MPH or so, into the wind, and current was maxed out around 25-30A trying to do that, so I had to back off and stay around 16-17MPH where I could still help by pedalling, and bring it down to something like 10A. I almost got blown over twice trying to get started from a stop when crossing both Dunlap and Peoria, from the centerlane median, pointing east myself while the wind was from the north, gusting hard.

I saw a few regular cyclists that were just coasting with wind at their backs going south on various streets, no pedalling, and probably travelling 15MPH or more, just by sitting upright fully.

Other cyclists heading into or across the wind were having a much worse time than I was; one guy must've been in his granny gears, spinning like a mixer on his cranks, trying to go up the small hill to the bridge over the canal into Metrocenter, directly into the wind. When he got to the top he just plain stopped, despite trying to crank, and almost fell over, from the wind suddenly gusting harder.

Some really small cars were even having trouble, being buffeted in the wind and jostling around as if they were hitting big potholes or rocks.

Wind died down sometime while I was at work, and I had no problems coming back, with typical Wh and other readings.

Only issue I had coming back was that something had caused one of the bullet connectors to the brake light to come loose, so I had no brake light when I started out from work. Naturally I didn't notice, as I'd forgotten to do my usual lights-check before heading out, but eventually about half a mile into the ride in a really dark street section, I noticed that none of the stuff behind me was lighting up like usual when I hit my brakes for the stop sign at the end fo the street. I found and reseated the loose connection easily enough, but it just gives me yet one more reason to strip and rewire all the lighting wiring on CrazyBike2, as if the turn signal problems before weren't enough.

I think someone is messing with me. Not sure if it's just Murphy, or someone more physical. Today, the steering felt a little funny on the way to work, but when I stopped to check, the welds were still fine. (I didn't have a chance to do anything with them last night). Continued on, and it got "loose" feeling by the time I arrived. I found the nut on top of the tie rod pivot I'd fixed:
file.php

to be only finger-tight, allowing the bolt to rock back and forth as I pushed or pulled on the bars left/right, or the wheel vibrated with road bumps. But I never loosened it at all when I fixed the weld. So either something just "happened", someone deliberately loosened it, or the temperature rise and fall during welding did it.

I think the latter is more likely, but I've never had that happen before (that I can recall).

Anyhow, it was easily fixed as soon as I found the problem, but it annoys me greatly that these things all happen so quickly in succession like this. And also that the Wednesday I had planned to use to take care of a few things on the bike (and maybe DGA too if time permitted) now sees me scheduled to work. Good to get more money, as I may be short this month anyway, but bad that I kinda need a day to get this stuff done soon, before more stuff comes apart or my quickly-done repairs fail.

Courtesy of GCinDC, I may have a DC-DC converter to replace the 12V 13Ah lighting pack (which can then become part of the traction pack, perhaps):
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=356277#p356277
Just gotta replace caps and get it working on AC first, then see if it'll work on my pack voltage DC. :)

amberwolf said:
I think someone is messing with me.

Well, I know of a certain door eating dog that is rather miffed out you... check your wrenches for paw prints and dog slobber.

Dog slobber: check. Musta used her PawTectors, though, cuz there's no prints. ;)

Pic of that A20 12V PSU from GCinDC:
DSC03956.JPG
DSC03957.JPG

Also some stuff I bought from Mud2005, which will probably be used on Thud's jackshaft, though I will need to modify the Shimano freewheel:
DSC03958.JPG
It is not threaded all the way thru, only about 2/3, then is blocked by the removal-tool mating parts of the core. Since I will not be able to use such a tool on it anyway, once it is on the jackshaft, I can lathe that part out until it is wide enough to clear the jackshaft's threads. I'll be using crankshaft/BB locking rings "behind" the freewheels instead, to hold them in place. That way I can adjust the rings' positions to put the freewheels in perfect alignment with the chains on pedals and motor, which will both be forward of the jackshaft.

Alternately, I might put the stuff that's on the wheel above onto CB2's 24" rear wheel, mounted on a suspension arm sticking another foot or so back on the bike, and then mount a bare hubmotor in what had been the rear triangle, chained to the #25 sprocket while the cranks go to the outer regular freewheel.

BTW, the larger chainrings, although at a glance they appear identical, are not:

The teeth are not only about half a tooth different in circumferential alignment, they are also different profiles/tips. The rest of each one *is* identical, including their very heavy weight. :) They do both fit the #25 chain, just that they're not quite made the same.

I finished the pig's lipstick today:
View attachment 7
Replaced the old drink-cups-wrapped-in-tape headlight holder with the metal tracklight case instead. The reflectors are just glued on the side, rather than being mounted in slots that let light pass thru like on the drink-cup version, so they're not marker lights like before.
DSC03969.JPG
It still looks funky, but it is a lot better than the tape-wrapped cups. :) I simply removed the post and socket/slide for the tracklight setup, and bolted thru the pivot on it directly to the old headlight mount bracket on the stem:
DSC03964.JPG
I added star washers to either side of the connection so it shouldn't loosen and pivot downwards, but we'll see how it behaves. I also used double-nuts on the end of the bolt, so it can't work it's way off, hopefully. It is pointed just slightly downward right now; it's possible I may need to point it further down, as the new CFL I am trying in it (100W equivalent, 1600-lumen on 115VAC) is at least twice as bright as the old one (60-watt equivalent, 900 lumens when running on 115VAC).
DSC03966.JPG
The voltage on the CFL is about 70-75VDC during the top half of pack SOC. It's also significantly whiter than the smaller one. I left the smaller type in the taillight, as that is already so bright it doesn't need any more than that, at least at night.

I got these new ones at Goodwill today during their 50%-off sale. They are now selling these new, along with 60W versions, for $1 each (50 cents today, apparently), subsidized by APS (a local power company) and some 60W floodlight versions:
View attachment 3
The floodlights unfortunately have two problems:
--they don't really concentrate light any better than my housing does, since the face of the light is frosted and just re-diffuses the sort-of-focused light
--the "top" or "front" coil of the bulb never lights up. It remains a black bar and circle just blocking the central light from the rest of the CFL, even when it's run on 115VAC (and is worse on lower DC voltage). So it ends up dimmer in the center, where I really want it to be a lot brighter. Maybe as a floodlight it would be ok, but as a headlight it sucks.

But the 100W CFLs are pretty danged bright--enough so that it is painful to look straight at them after they warm up (about 2 minutes or so on my lower DC voltage) from a few feet away, in the lighting these pics were taken in.
DSC03962.JPG
That pic is with flash, plus sunlight shining in the front door and the screen door open (cuz I'm out on the porch taking the pic thru the doorway), and despite the camera's auto-dimmer due to the reflector flash, the CFL is totally washed out like the reflectors are. Not something that happened before with the old bulb and housing.

Then a pic with the light off, same conditions otherwise:
DSC03963.JPG
There's a lexan disc in front of the CFL, saved from the old housing, to keep rocks and whatnot from shattering it hopefully, and to keep direct rain and stuff out. It's only held in place with some overlapping foam strip rolled around it's edge, friction-fit into the housing.

Before I put the reflectors on:
DSC03961.JPG
with Bonnie looking on wondering when i'm going to be done so she can get more attention. ;)

In my living room the light pattern looks fine, but out on the road it is almost all side lighting, with next to nothing cast forward. :( So while it looks nifty enough compared to my cup-and-tape doomsday-machine-replica thingy, it's not very good at it's job.

I moved the light back about 1.25" by taking out the bracket that isolates the light socket from the housing (to keep the housing from getting too hot with regular bulbs, I suppose). It sort of helps the light pattern a little bit, but not very much.

I'm gonna first try making a reflector cone kinda like one my cup was shaped as, to put inside the light housing around the CFL. I don't expect it to be any better than it was before, but at least it won't look quite as crappy, and won't be as vulnerable to crushing as the cups were.

I'll proably make the reflector from a cup, either made of styrofoam, or white styrene. I may try one lined with foil, but I don't think that'd be any better than white, and probably not worth the effort.

If i could make a parabolic that would actually fit inside the housing, I'd try that, but to work it'd have to be larger than the diameter of the housing, I think.

I don't mind the sidelighting, or i'd put a black ring aorund the end insde the housing. I just want more forward and central lighting.

Oh, also, the friction-fit front cover doesn't stay on, it vibrates loose over a few miles, and would fall out.

amberwolf said:
Oh, also, the friction-fit front cover doesn't stay on, it vibrates loose over a few miles, and would fall out.

That's what chewing gum is for. Or perhaps bailing wire.

I think it'd have to be the chewing gum, as the baling wire would require drilling holes in the disc and housing to use (or making some sort of snaprings or something out of it, perhaps). ;)

I've been so sick the last few days, starting Saturday night, getting worse thru Sunday and Monday, peaking on Tuesday (I hope), that I ahven't been able to do much of anything besides lay in bed and stare at the screen, in between fits of coughing and other sickly activities. :( (well, that and push dogs back off of me so I could breathe, since they all want to pile on to make me better but it doesn't work that way)

So today was my first ride in the windy cold we are having right now--where in the midday it looks so nice outside, warm and inviting (though obviously windy), even with the front door open, until I step outside and the wind tries to bowl me over and freeze me at the same time. :(

Seeing all of what's happening elsewhere, I guess I can't complain about our weather that much, but being super-sick it's not doing me any good right now. :(

Weather and Path Setup for today:

Last night it was below freezing (way below, I think, but don't know for sure), not counting the windchill from what musta been 30MPH winds with gusts up much higher than that (enough at some point to flip over an old big truck hood I have in the backyard that has four lead-acid truck batteries on it's corners), and to completely disappear some old (but still nice) towels and sheets I had on the clothesline to dry overnight. :cry:

Not to mention the huge mess of trash everywhere from alleyway bins knocked over and emptied by the wind. Stacks of shingles left on roofs overnight, under repair from last October's hailstorm, ended up in yards and streets, most places I could see on my way to work today at midday. Some of that stuff is hard to ride over safely, and impossible to avoid given the amount of it in some places, though in others there was no traffic (unusually) so I was able to just go wide around piles of it.

Speaking of that: Hardly anybody on the roads, either, which was really unusual. What traffic there was seemed in a great hurry to get wherever they were going, but not doing anything really stupid out of the ordinary.

The wind hasn't let up much since it started, either, and the dogs don't even want to go out in it, especially Bonnie and Loki, as they've both been "attacked" by flying debris a few times already. Loki won't even go out to pee unless I carry him out there and shut the door behind him. :roll:

Riding the bike in it is a nightmare; even though it's much lower to the ground than a regular bike (which I wouldn't be able to ride at all in this wind), it still gets buffeted about when hit from teh sides or some other angles, making it hard to stay balanced.

Since Metro Parkway curves from nearly due east at the south entrance to nearly due west at the north entrance, I get to feel most possible effects of any particular wind on it over the 1.25-ish miles I travel on it going to work (I ride a different road going home, usually).

At one point at the north end, on a parallel-curved road just off MP that I take to avoid the idiotic traffic control (and idiots that don't pay attention to it) at MP and 28th Ave, the wind was directly cross my path, and I could see cars in front of me get buffeted, rocking, as they came out of the windbreak some buildings make and into a place where there's a big flat nothing (torn down buildings, parking lots, streets etc.) for a ways, letting wind just blast thru.

Knowing it was coming I still nearly lost control of the bike, and had to steer partly into the wind to keep going straight. In the first couple of seconds I moved leftward nearly half the width of the street! Just glad there werent' any cars trying to pass me--I could have done nothing to stop any collisions, beyond letting the wind force me further left into the other side of the road and hope there was no opposing traffic either. :(

I wasn't able to go faster than about 15MPH or so the whole way there, except for very short parts of the path not being buffeted by wind from one direction or another. A few places where I had to stop for traffic controls I had trouble starting up again--using the motor alone began to move me, but it was hitting 30A+ and was barely getting me going, so I was afraid I'd damage something either in controller, motor, or battery if I didn't help it with the pedals. Just a few spins of the large front ring and middle ring in back were enough to get past that, but I was still hitting 15A+ just trying to stay at 15MPH against the direct frontal winds, and 8-10A against the just-buffeting winds from various sides.

If I remember tomorrow before I go to work I will post the CA data, but I forgot to write it down before charging the batteries, which is still in progress, and requires disconnecting the NiMH batteries from their series 48V configuration to charge them separately as two 24V packs.

Could really tell on the way home that the CFL light's new housing really doesn't work very well, even with the modification, so it'll need something to cone more light forward. I also have a different kind of CFL bulb, with four parallel tubes instead of a coily thing, that I will try, but I have to repair it's inverter first.

On the way there, I had to wear my snowboarding dayglo gloves with their liners, two pair of jogging sweatpants plus my work dress pants, four pairs of socks, three sweaters plus a dayglo orange tshirt over them. Somehow I forgot my helmet :shock: --the first time I think I have ever done that, even when I have been sick and had to ride anyway. :( Otherwise I would have had the full-face motorcycle helmet to keep my head and face warm, but instead I had nothing and so despite all the rest of my body warmth, I was still nearly freezing by the time i got to work. I couldn't go back for it because I was already likely to be late due to the winds blowing so hard that I could only go about 15MPH max, and starting from a stop was very hard as I had to balance wind, throttle, pedals, steering, bike, all at once--I can barely do one thing at a time usually and being very sick still, this was VERY hard..

On the way home just as it was finishing getting dark, I had to add another sweater and anohter pair of sweatpants, and it was still so cold (because of no helmet) that I had to stop before I even left the parking lot and come back to the store to put on a hoodie jacket that somebody had abandoned there a while back, kept in the breakroom in case they ever come back for it. At least the hoodie kept my ears from falling off. :lol: But my hands...I couldn't feel my fingers after a mile, and I couldn't feel my hands at all a couple minutes later, so I had to stop and exercise them for a while till they woke up again. Did that twice more before I got home.

I'm still slightly popsicley almost two hours later, bundled up under four blankets and five dogs, plus some electric heating pads to keep my back and legs warm, especially, right now. :(

At the moment I was about to hit Submit on the post, the alarm on my temperature monitor (from a PC, with wired remote thermal sensors) began beeping at me, telling me it is right at freezing outside, not coutning the windchill, and it's only 10:25pm. It's gonna get a lot colder tonite than last night. In the house, in my closed up room with me and the dogs in it, it's 52F and holding so far, but it was 60F when I came home. I can't tell what the temperature is after freezing outside, as I no longer have any other thermometers I can find (except an old bimetallic strip coil type that is so light it'd just blow away and I can't bolt it down), and this PC unit doesn't bother to display a reading below freezing (which is stupid), just beeps at you and puts "---" instead. :roll:

What flavor popcicle are you? Sorry to hear you are sick. Too bad you couldn't just stay home. Good luck on getting better.

I think "miserable" is the closest flavor I can think of. :( Better now than before, though. Still, just kinda laying around in bed resting rather than getting anything done. I'm hoping my boss will find someone else to work tomorrow's shift so I don't have to go in at all, and can just stay here and get better. I need the money but I need to get better even more.

Back