• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

48V 13.5 AH Sharkpack issue, battery always shows as full...

Impunity9

1 mW
So I just finished building my first Ebike with a BBs02 and 48v 13.5ah sharkpack from Lunacycle, yesterday I took my it on its first ride for 16 km each way to work and back which worked great.

The problem is the battery level shows full always unless I'm going up a steep hill where it drops a little but goes back to full when I flatten out, the display I'm using is the Luna Bafang DCP-10.

Yesterday after the first 16km the battery showed full on display and when I click the button on shark it showed 1 red light and three green. Just in case I plugged in in to the charger for 2 hours at work. I then went home for 16 km which went fine, when I got home battery still showed full so I turned it off and didn't bother charging it.

Just now I hopped on to go to work and the display came on for about 20 seconds and shut off and won't come back on. When pushing the button on the shark pack the lights are the same, 1 red and 3 blue.

Any ideas?

I had to take the bus to work quickly so no time to charge it and try again, that will have to wait until tonight.

Thanks

I also have a 52v battery with the bbs02.

The problem is that you have an extra cell in there, instead of the 48v you got 52v.

BBS02 measure the voltage from empty to full there is a variation on battery voltage wich is what you see on the meter.
On a 48v battery, it is around 53v fully charged and goes to 46v when dead.

Around 57v is full on your battery and goes down to 50v when empty, that's why you always see full.

In a slope, you see voltage sag, that is when you ask a very high load on a battery pack the whole voltage sags a few volts and comes back to normal.

You could contact lunacycle and ask for a 52v screen (maybe it exists?) or just live with it like I do.

I start to panic when I loose a single bar, wich means it's almost empty that's my only indicator.

Interesting, thanks for the info. Very odd that they would send me a 52v when I ordered a 48v

A 12v battery is pretty much dead at 12 volts. it will be closer to 14.5v fully charged. What is the meaning of life(IDK)

Still no response from lunacycle but if they did in fact send me a 52v accidently does that make the 2 48v 3amp chargers I bought useless?

Impunity9 said:
Still no response from lunacycle but if they did in fact send me a 52v accidently does that make the 2 48v 3amp chargers I bought useless?
A 14s 52V pack requires an output voltage of 58.8V to fully charge. A 13s 48V pack requires 54.6V. I wouldn't complain about getting a 14s pack though. But if your chargers are only for 48V, they wouldn't fully charge your pack. Check the final charge voltage hot off the charger. If it's close to 58.8V, then the chargers work fine.

Any way to check the voltage using the display? I didn;t buy a meter and it takes a month to get anything shipped from Luna to my address in Canada :(

I mount one of these on all my ebikes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-15-to-120V-Waterproof-Red-LED-Panel-Meter-DC-Digital-Voltmeter-Two-wire/141365876290
And I've got a couple of these laying around.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-20mW-LCD-Display-Digital-Voltmeter-Ammeter-Ohm-Multimeter-/400579128145

Back