48V20AH NiCoMn battery from GreenBikeKit.com for BBS02

brickwall

10 W
Hi,

anyone has any experience with this battery from GreenBikeKit.com? http://www.greenbikekit.com/48v-20ah-e-bike-rack-battery.html

I need a battery for a Bafang BBS02 750W mid-drive kit, but I do not know much about batteries. This one is much cheaper than the ones on EM3EV. Do you think it's a good fit?

EDIT:
Or maybe this battery, http://www.greenbikekit.com/48v-20ah-shrink-tube-e-bike-battery.html, which seems to be the same except for the casing. GBK said it has lipo cells inside, but there's no more info than that I'm afraid. Then there's this battery, http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=132, from renowned EM3EV, but it's double the price (19,3Ah version) and I do not understand why. What's the difference?

I would like to carry the battery within the frame rather than on a rear rack. The shrink wrapped battery is smaller in size and will be easier to make a case for. The frame is an Electra Straight 8.

brickwall said:
Hi,

anyone has any experience with this battery from GreenBikeKit.com? http://www.greenbikekit.com/48v-20ah-e-bike-rack-battery.html

I need a battery for a Bafang BBS02 750W mid-drive kit, but I do not know much about batteries. This one is much cheaper than the ones on EM3EV. Do you think it's a good fit?

I'm not an expert, but that looks really small for a claimed 20ah pack.

Yeah, I believe the image is distorted. I expect the physical dimensions to be something closer to this:

HTB1i2ZJHXXXXXcQaXXXq6xXFXXX6.jpg

999zip999 said:
I still would get a stronger battery 20amp draw.
Oh I guess 40amp. Sorry.
Can you carry a battery in the triangle ? What bike ?

Sorry, what does this mean? :oops: I'm well versed in bikes and the mechanical parts, but not in electronics.

Yes, I updated my post to reflect that. My bike is an Electra Straight 8 and I would like to carry the battery inside the frame. Wasn't really going to rear mount that battery, so I'm considering a shrink wrapped one instead to make a custom case for.

What I'm really concerned about is why this http://www.greenbikekit.com/48v-20ah-shrink-tube-e-bike-battery.html is half the price of this http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=132 (19,3 Ah version). To me, they seem the same.

12 pounds for a battery of that size seems rather fishy. Unless they're using brand name 18650's... which at that price, they're probably not. That would be a ~200whrs/kg pack though, which i think is only possible with brand name 18650's.

Ask them what cell they are using if you really must buy.

They don't have a particularly great name around here though, to my knowledge.

neptronix said:
12 pounds for a battery of that size seems rather fishy. Unless they're using brand name 18650's... which at that price, they're probably not. That would be a ~200whrs/kg pack though, which i think is only possible with brand name 18650's.

Ask them what cell they are using if you really must buy.

They don't have a particularly great name around here though, to my knowledge.

I just emailed them again, asking to clarify what cells are inside exactly. They only replied that there are lipo cells inside the battery. Regarding the weight, I don't know anything about that, but at 5.8 kg (shrink wrapped version) it's actually heavier than the doubly expensive battery from EM3EV, which comes in at 5.2 kgs (11 lbs).

I did read your link right the first time. The battery is not strong enough for your needs. So I'm not sorry. Little hard to follow there link. Those kits used a couple different controllers so what is the amp draw of the controller in your kit ?

999zip999 said:
I did read your link right the first time. The battery is not strong enough for your needs. So I'm not sorry. Little hard to follow there link. Those kits used a couple different controllers so what is the amp draw of the controller in your kit ?

I haven't bought the kit yet, so it'll be the latest model. Are you sure? Because that's the most powerful battery GBK offers.

I got a reply regarding the cells inside the GBK batteries:
The cell model is 7568270, 10Ah polymer cell, the battery is 13S2P.

That's interesting. But it would explain the difference in price. However for $350 difference in price, maybe it's worth the expectedly lesser performance?

It does have the dimensions there, but it does have them twice...
Dimension: 148x80x405mm
148x80x380mm

405 millimetres = 15.9 inches
380 millimetres = 14.9 inches
So thats the length..
148 millimetres = 5.8 inches
Width...
Battery Weight: 7.2kg, 7 kilos of lithium battery is a fair bit even if we don't know what brand.

Which one would you choose from the rectangular or triangular batteries below, for a cruiser-type bike where weight and off-road performance isn't very important? I'm thinking of the 50V 22.0Ah 29E rectangular pack.

http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=45&product_id=187

The choice of batteries offered are as below:

46.8V 7.6Ah Frame Pack (20R version) with a 2A, fan-less, plastic cased charger (this battery cannot accept more than 3A Charge Rate).
46.8V 9.8Ah Frame Pack (25R version) with a 2A, fan-less, plastic cased charger (this battery cannot accept more than 3A Charge Rate).
50V 9.5Ah Rectangle Pack (20R Version) with 58.8V 5A Charger.
50V 12.3Ah Rectangle Pack (25R Version) with 58.8V 5A Charger.
50V 12.3Ah Triangle Pack (22P version) with 58.8V 5A Charger. Includes bag.
50V 16.5Ah Triangle Pack (29E version) with 58.8V 5A Charger. Includes bag.
50V 14.35Ah Rectangle Pack (22P Version) with 58.8V 5A Charger.
50V 19.25Ah Rectangle Pack (29E Version) with 58.8V 5A Charger.
50V 22.0Ah Rectangle Pack (29E Version) with 58.8V 5A Charger.
50V 18.5Ah Triangle Pack (22P version) with 58.8V 5A Charger. Includes bag.
50V 24.8Ah Triangle Pack (29E version) with 58.8V 5A Charger. Includes bag.

Unfortunately, Luna Cycle doesn't seem to be shipping to Sweden.

Wow, thats good to know about GBK

neptronix - They don't have a particularly great name around here though, to my knowledge.

Get the em3ev battery. I was looking and I am unsure as to their specs.......22P and 29E cells with BMS.
http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=160
36V Samsung Frame Pack & Charger (10.25-16.5Ah) 10Ah is $370.
But I will email him, he replies quick to emails sent.
http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=161
46.8V (13S) Samsung Frame Pack & Charger (8.2-11.0Ah) 8.2Ah $380.

I feel better with em3ev. You know the battery cell being used. Paul is a standup guy. Plus if you have a problem, he will help. Nobody needs to buy a second battery because the first one is junk. Good luck.

I finally placed an order with EM3EV. Thanks everyone for your help. Paul has been of great help too.

• 50V 18.5Ah Triangle Pack & 5A Charger (17.5Ah & 24.8Ah option)
    - Bag Including Bag
    - Cell Type INR18650-20R (17.5Ah, ~885Whr)
    - Charger 58.8V 5A Charger
    - Charger Plug Europe
    - 14S9PSDITRI
    - $789.00

Bafang BBS02 48V 500/750W Mid Drive Kit
    - Power/Current Setting 750W, 25A
    - Chain Wheel 44T
    - BBS48750
    - $499.0

Total $1288 excl. shipping and taxes.

That is very expensive considering I can get an entire electric bike for half that price around here, but I reckon mine will be much quicker than those.

You're going to end up with a bike that is 3 times more powerful with twice ( or more ) the range.

Here in the USA, the typical wimpy 250w European type bike with a tiny battery tends to go for $1,500-$2,000 USD, so dropping $1,300 USD on a more powerful configuration is a hell of a deal. I guess that exchange rates and market pricing change things a lot.

brickwall said:
I finally placed an order with EM3EV. Thanks everyone for your help. Paul has been of great help too.

That is very expensive considering I can get an entire electric bike for half that price around here, but I reckon mine will be much quicker than those.

neptronix said:
You're going to end up with a bike that is 3 times more powerful with twice ( or more ) the range.

Here in the USA, the typical wimpy 250w European type bike with a tiny battery tends to go for $1,500-$2,000 USD, so dropping $1,300 USD on a more powerful configuration is a hell of a deal. I guess that exchange rates and market pricing change things a lot.

brickwall said:

You're right. Now I feel even better about my order. :)

Also good to remember is that the wimpy EU spec only allows for PAS (throttle is forbidden), so none of the bikes sold here can be used without pedalling. My bike won't exactly be legal, but it will be unique and, I hope, quite fun to ride.

Just keep an eye on your speed. On a 48t chainring, you will see speeds up to 30mph ( 48kph ) if you are on a 11t rear gear. The 44T is a lot milder, but might hit 25mph/40kph if you have a 11t rear gear.

I don't know if they're fascists about how fast an ebike goes out there, but your bike is gonna be a hell of a lot more powerful than everyone else's store bought bikes :mrgreen:

Whereas here in America, i can pass a cop at 30-40mph and he doesn't even think about pulling me over. Lol.

Whereas here in America, i can pass a cop at 30-40mph and he doesn't even think about pulling me over. Lol.

Amen to that neptronix, Amen.

I would look into one of those bicycle alarm, that will notify you via cell phone if bike is moved at all. Monthly rate, depends where you are.
I had a bike stolen that had its rear wheel U-Locked to the frame, it was downtown, bad part of downtown, lots of bums and drug dealings.
Nice bike, was a dual-purpose, thinner wheel then MTB. THey didnt know the chain was shortened to stay single speed, on a 3x8 drive train. It would slip down if too much torque applied. I was bummed at the time, but the bike was free, nice bike, $1200, but free, had some broken parts.

Best to get the Kryponite Forgetaboutit lock, $150.

Although if he does pull you over, he'll scream to tell you to keep your hands on the handlebars while pointing his gun at you, if the media's depiction of US police is anything to go by. :lol:

It's going on an Electra Straight 8. This one http://m.imgur.com/a/nKz2e

I have a great U-lock but no lock is safe from a skilled thief, so yes, I'll have to watch it. Even now, as a regular bike, I don't leave it outside for longer periods of time and usually keep it in our garage. I'll use the EM3EV bag to carry the battery in initially, so I'll take that with me when I leave the bike. I'd like to devise some other battery compartment later on that fits better with the vintage styling of the bike. Thinking maybe a gas tank-lookalike.

Back