50% charge for storage....why?

waynebergman

100 kW
I am wondering if someone can explain why it's good practise to only charge to 50% rather than full charge if you are not going to use your battery pack for a month or two. I have 18650 packs and I know this charging senerio is recomended by everyone in the know but I just don't understand why? ...........thanks wayne

A fully charged pack loses about 20% of its capacity a year at room temperature.

A pack discharged to 3.2v loses 5% per year.

However, all packs self discharge, and if they discharge past about 3.0v, they're useless.

So 50% holds enough charge to ensure the pack doesn't self discharge to death, while having the lowest practical voltage.

OK thanks, that explains a few things that I was not sure about. As my charger for my back up 48 volt pack does not charge to 50% I am guessing if I use half of the ah and then let it sit for storage even though it does not get balanced after my ride then is the way to go. Is the balance part of the equation that important? I am guessing not if you are just storing it and then a balance and recharge before you use it?

I'm going to chime in from a different angle.
We have a chemical process going on, with upper limits and lower limits, within which everything is fine, and outside of which we don't venture. These limits are not physical walls though with a flat platau between them on which we walk. It's more of a sheltered valley, with sloping sides, leading up to the storm clouds above. We are safest in the tranquil valley bottom, and is we stray from the middle we move towards stormy ground.

It's always a tradeoff between the best possible way to store a battery, and convenience.

Two years and done is a good way to go, if you are doing a daily commute grind. You need to make it to work, you don't need to worry all the way every day, so a new battery every two years is a good way to go. The old pack may still be somewhat usable for the 3rd or 4th year, but it will be shorter capacity, and sag a lot under load. So you can still use it occasionally, adding range for a really long ride.

My own pattern is buy at least 10 ah every year or so. I end up with a huge total capacity for the longer rides I like to do, but always have at least one pack that is pretty fresh. That fresher pack gets the most use, and I keep it at 90% charged. I can hop on it as is, or quickly bring it up to 100%.

The others store for much longer periods, sometimes months, at more or less half charge. If the battery has a bms, then I like to store a bit fuller, but more like 75%. this is because a bms will slowly drain some cells in storage. Unplug a bms for really long storage. I don't worry about balance at half charge. Why?

Because a ruined cell will self discharge anyway, no matter what you do. It will drain itself no matter where it started out. And if the cell is not ruined, it won't self discharge, and it will remain full enough, though it may still need a balance charge on wake up.

aroundqube said:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=79198
Thanks everyone great info. I watched the video from the aroundqube link and it was very interesting. Especially the part in the video where the the speaker explains the ONLY way to know how how long a pack can last in years, can only really be verified by running through the cycles over this same length of time battery makers claim their packs will last. In other words you can not just charge and discharge ten times in a day until you reach say 700 cycles and then state these finds applied to 2 years use charging every day. He says totally different and not relevant to do short cut tests on the bench and then scale them up for real life usage. Interesting, I did not know this.

18650 cells ? What 18650's ? As quality of the cells and bms ect. Plus most bms drain on the first to third to run the bms at a very low rate. Plus most first time ebiker's loose there batteries because they ride there bike drain the battery and park it. The battery being dead and sitting being drained by the bms a self discharge. One or three cells go below 2.5 volts and die. Bye bye battery. Always check battery for charge and plug in. Hell it's spring time go ride 4 times a week and keep it charged
ready to go.
So where did you get your battery ?

Back