60MPH 11kW Qulbix Raptor

windtrader said:
Fantastic thread, great read and informative. Just curious if you made a buy vs make decision on this build. Given the path you have taken and the resources expended, what are the key tradeoffs? For example, hard dollar layout, fun vs PIA, etc.

Thanks

I thought about buying for a long time. But couldn't make myself buy a Stealth Bomber, knowing that I will take it apart and upgrade everything sooner or later. Tradeoffs are that I have a bike to my liking and have fun building it up. It's cheaper if you don't count your labor.

Well you don't want your brake fluid to boil near the calipers. You brake pads and rotor also have an operating temperature. Get them above that, and your pads will start to fail. Cracking, crumbling of the pad is a good sign that you are overheating your setup.

Ok, I have Icetech front and back and they run cool.

Attachments

• IMG_3474.JPG
    IMG_3474.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 2,470
ecruz said:
2013 Hope Tech Evo M4 Brake Set Special Red anodized edition

I had asked Hope if they were willing to make a mirrored caliper for a dual brake setup. They straight up said No. Bummer as I really like their brake calipers.

Not by much. I bet if I asked for a 50 units, they would of said yes.

But for now I'll keep using regen to save my brakes for when I really need them. I really want to try a Sabvoton.

First time I hear of it. Saw a video on Youtube but wouldn't you like the Addapto Max-E better? Or I am I missing something. If you have any links on it let send them.

ecruz said:
First time I hear of it. Saw a video on Youtube but wouldn't you like the Addapto Max-E better? Or I am I missing something. If you have any links on it let send them.

I have no idea how Sabvoton are compared to Adaptto or any other controllers. But I do have a link for you :)
http://www.sabvoton.com

ecruz said:

I have the CAV3 already and some good chargers.
Bad part of the Sabvoton is that I can't charge through it like the Max-E and it's not as compact. Power wise they should be the same, which is what I'm after. The Sabvoton should be here soon.

I received my Sabvoton today. The ends are a bit bend, but the rest looks fine. Pretty big controller and now got to find some time to figure out how to install it on the bike.

snellemin, what battery voltage are you currently running and what do you plan to run with the Sabvoton?

Why are you upgrading to the Sabvoton, do you want more top speed?

Offroader said:
snellemin, what battery voltage are you currently running and what do you plan to run with the Sabvoton?

Why are you upgrading to the Sabvoton, do you want more top speed?

I'm just going to use my same 18s lipo pack and I got it so I can run higher battery and phase current without having to worry about overheating my controller. There is a boost feature as well that could be fun in drag racing. The variable regen sounds like fun too.

I'm glad you got one Rolando so you can figure it out and dial it in so when I get one I'll know who to call. PS I hope it is a game changer like the cromotor was.

ecruz said:
Ok, I have Icetech front and back and they run cool.

What type of speeds do you stop from? Has the Icetech rotor warped at all?

I have a "normal" 203mm rotor with Avid codes and if I try to stop hard from 60-70 mph my disks warp like crazy. My front caliper failed (prevuis owner never bleed them) so I have been using my sisters cable caliper for a few days and it makes it much worse.

I have looked into getting Icetech for the front brake but I'm not sure if it will even be good enough.

I'll chime in from what I discovered about rotors. The icetech I have, which is only the 6 bolt version rt 86, seems to stay much cooler up front than my rear 203 non ice tech rotor.

I think this may also be because the rear rotor is more easily heated than the front. If this is not the case than the ice tech rotor technology makes it much cooler. However, the rear brakes do wear faster than the fronts so I think it just heats up faster having to deal with the hub motor.

I never warped a rotor by heating it, even though the rear one gets super hot all the time. I'm surprised if you actually warped your rotor from heat. I brake really hard all the time and my pads lasted 1135 miles on the front and 1295 miles on the rear. I use 4 piston zee brakes.

I mostly warp rotors when removing the wheel or hitting it against something. They are easily trued back with a dial indicator.

Offroader said:
The icetech I have, which is only the 6 bolt version rt 86, seems to stay much cooler up front than my rear 203 non ice tech rotor.

I'm surprised if you actually warped your rotor from heat.

Yeah I have been looking them up but to get the rotor that has cooling fins I need to get a new hub that takes the center lock disk brake rotors.

If I still had my gopro (someone that I lent it to dropped in in the water in hawaii :( ) I would take a video for you. I have one somewhere i'll try to find it.

I have a "normal" 203mm rotor with Avid codes and if I try to stop hard from 60-70 mph my disks warp like crazy.
I have avid 203mm but stopping from 60 mph is almost all regen to 20 mph.

After picking these 4 locations for the Sabvoton, I'm just going to install it underneath the battery box. I have to make a shield of some sort to protect the wires.

Snnellin, I have a Kelly cage for the raptor which I wont end up using. If interested let me know I can ship it to you.

E

I haven't been working on the bike yet. Been busy with other things and this weekend I'm going to work on my SUV a bit.

Ecruz, that would be cool if I could get your cage. PM me please, for what your want for it.

Merlin, I like the cage, but it's too small for the Sabvoton. I also need to get a rubber grommet for the wires to go through the frame.

I scored me a 4 piston Hayes ACE caliper for 34 bucks. I'm going to see if I can hook it up to my Tektro. I'm just going to use mineral oil with the Hayes and see what happens. If the seals mess up, I'll just rebuild and use Mineral oil on the fresh seals. Been reading mix experiences on the internet with using different oil types through brakes. Some people been doing it for years and other swear its a bad idea to use a different oil in bike brakes.
I'll bleed the brakes from the top down, instead of from the caliper to the brake handle. This way I don't introduce any left over dot4 oil all over the brake system.

Back