60V E 300 Hub Motor Project Underway

CAv3 is not a replacement controller.

It adds (lots of) functionality and fine adjustability to existing controllers, basically turns dumb limited ones into an intelligent one like Nucular.

I see the little adjustment screw on the "pot"

Anyone chime in with where I can get one and what its called... I searched electrical pot but norhing

Is a pot a potentiometer?

The other device the CAv - how much space does that take up?

Yes, a pot is a potentiometer.

A CA looks like a big speedometer that mounts on the handlebars.

detrailers said:
The other device the CAv - how much space does that take up?
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=cav3+grin+specs&s=g

69e114db42b10b4062256b0031c37310.jpg

P.s. a little bit of trouble finding at 1k 10 turn pot so I got a 1k 15 turn one, I hope that's ok

You can also check your wiring and see if your controller has a "smooth start" wire.
Some of them do, the purpose of it is to limit the power at startup so that it is less jumpy.
I can't see much in the picture you posted, it is way too small.

Also, before doing any mods, I suggest you to check your throttle. It's not entirely impossible that your throttle is defective. Not sure if your current one uses a hall sensor or a potentiometer, but if it is the latter than it sometimes happen that there are some dead zones on the pot resistance. Could be that, in your case, the dead zone is at the beginning, so the first few degrees of twist are not seen by your controller. It is very easy to check, either with a multimeter as suggested earlier, or just with any random potentiometer you can find around, or, even better, with an other throttle.

I changed the throttle today to a twist grip throttle and it's a little bit better. I also ordered a 1k pot to see if eliminating the dead spot helps a bit. It's actually ridable now but still a bit too sensitive off the line, I hope the pot mod will help that a bit more. Also, the new throttle has a blue wire which is for the key switch but it doesnt immobilize the scooter because Its not connected to the controller, any idea what wire I connect that to on the controller??
Dui said:
You can also check your wiring and see if your controller has a "smooth start" wire.
Some of them do, the purpose of it is to limit the power at startup so that it is less jumpy.
I can't see much in the picture you posted, it is way too small.

Also, before doing any mods, I suggest you to check your throttle. It's not entirely impossible that your throttle is defective. Not sure if your current one uses a hall sensor or a potentiometer, but if it is the latter than it sometimes happen that there are some dead zones on the pot resistance. Could be that, in your case, the dead zone is at the beginning, so the first few degrees of twist are not seen by your controller. It is very easy to check, either with a multimeter as suggested earlier, or just with any random potentiometer you can find around, or, even better, with an other throttle.

Ok, did the trimmer resistor on the black throttle line. Got rid of the dead spot but still a wicked hit when the throttle kicks in. I got another resistor, didnt I see something posted with a diagram showing another trimmer resistor on the other throttle wire.

Looking like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and shovel more money into this for a CAv3 But just making sure that I am exhausting all possible alternatives

Too bad. It sounds like you need to slow the ramp up then. The diagram with the other trimmer adjusts the full throttle point so you have to turn the throttle all the way to get full speed. Does it seem like it reaches full speed at less than full throttle?
Once upon a time someone here made a little Arduino circuit that fixed the end points and ramp speed, but not around any more.

No it's good with that, good progressive throttle all thru the range.

From what I've read the CA can fix the ramp up...

Yes, the CA allows adjustable ramp rate. Some controllers are programmable where you could fix it in software. Old school controllers will have a small capacitor somewhere on the board that controls it. But if you don't have the programming software or don't want to try messing with the controller circuit, then the CA is a fairly easy solution.

fechter said:
Yes, the CA allows adjustable ramp rate. Some controllers are programmable where you could fix it in software. Old school controllers will have a small capacitor somewhere on the board that controls it. But if you don't have the programming software or don't want to try messing with the controller circuit, then the CA is a fairly easy solution.
I'm confused. I was asking about CAv3 doing

ramp mapping / curve adjustment

and the response I got:

> There is no curve adjustment in the CA 

Are these different things? Please help me understand the terminology.

Speed tested it today...29 mph which is FLYING on an e300. It had more to go, I'm thinking 32,33 top speed

I've put the seat on it until I get the CA v3 on it because it's just has too much balls to try and ride it standing up.

Nice build!

Do you know what hub motor it is and wattage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont sorry, it was an Ali Express buy and I cant find the link now...it was a package the motor, controller and throttle but the throttle was junk...

https://youtu.be/VcENXoyZhFE :shock:

I'm sure peeps have gone faster on their e300s but that was kinda my limit....I think if I had more road maybe 33 before a catastrophic failure lmao.

Your daughter want the scooter back ? My boss has a plan to buy an electric bike for his wife knowing that she's never going to use it he's actually just buying it for himself as a birthday present to her.

Dropped pan 2" to accomodate bigger batt and controller, still have 2" ground clearance. Also had to rework rear frame upright to accommodate disc and cally. Next up ill be making the mount for caliper and welding up unused holes and then final weld and grind and off to powdercoat.
could I know the fork dropout size? is that 144mm or 135mm?

Back