9 FET doesn't work with Cycle Analyst connected

zombiess

10 MW
So I got a brand new cycle analyst direct with the big screen. I also got a used 9 FET Lyen controller from someone on this board recently. Edward Lyen dropped by my house tonight and modded the controller to make it 100V capable w/regen and all looked good on the inside. We cautiously hooked up my 24S pack and the CA came to life and displayed the battery voltage, but in also said it was drawing 24kW which was odd. Reprogrammed the shunt to 4.0mOhm and it now read 5kW drawn with no throttle input. Lyen suggested disconnecting the 3 spd switch and the CA and see if it works. Sure enough, with both disconnected it works as expected. Reconnect 3 spd switch and I get 3 speeds as expected. Hookup the CA and the throttle doesn't work any more. I can spin the rear wheel and get a speed read out though.

Since this is my second bike I took the CA off of it and hooked it up to my other bike and it works exactly as it's supposed to.

Anyone have some trouble shooting ideas? It's very strange that the CA shows current being drawn while not giving throttle input. I'm guessing the current limit in the CA could be killing the throttle signal.

A huge thankyou to Edward Lyen for modding my controller for me, I didn't even ask him, he offered when he came over to meet me and see my bikes :)

Looks like I might have found the problem. The yellow wire on the controller's CA connector is disconnected from the board. Looking at the pin out diagram of the cycle analyst plug this is #4 which is the shunt + (white wire) for the CA. This makes sense since the current is reporting it's maxed out. Looks like all I have to do is solder the yellow #4 wire back to the + side of the shunt and it will be fixed.

*edit*
just confirmed, connecting that wire fixes the wonky readings on the CA, floating input = no good. Will test out the controller on the bike tomorrow and all should be good.

Part of why used stuff, you pay half price or less. Doesn't matter how little used. Cool you figured it out.

dogman said:
Part of why used stuff, you pay half price or less. Doesn't matter how little used. Cool you figured it out.

I don't think the seller sold me a controller with a problem. It most likely broke off when Edward and I opened it up to mod it.

Back