Grin Cycle Analyst with CA 3_switch not displaying Mode 1/3 ( but shows 2/3 and 3/3 )

jimmythebike

1 µW
I have just successfully fitted a Grin Cycle Analyst CA3-WPx with multi-function switch ( to turn the system off and on ), Digital Aux Input ( programmed to change PAS assist levels ) and CA3_Switch ( programmed to have different power limits for different types of riding from pottering along a canal tow-path with low power to higher power off road setting ). I am using the Grin PAS sensor rather than a thumb throttle.

I am extremely pleased with the Cycle Analyst as I now get absolutely tons of information about my set-up and hope to now use it, with the baserunner controller I got with it as the core of my self conversion e-bike set-ups for the next few years.

However, it seems that although the CA3_Switch is working and the cycle analyst can see the different voltages it is sending through as I change between settings I,II and III I only get the CA display telling me that it has changed to Mode Presets 2 and 3. I never see a message saying its changed to Preset 1.

Any ideas? I've been through the Grin website, and the unofficial guide on here and searched forums for help.

Cycle Analyst settings showing the presets and selection of analogue Aux as a 3 position switch

screen shot cycle analyst settings.JPG

The three position Auxillary switch showing modes I,II and III

CA_Auxillary.JPG
The messages I get for mode 2/3 and 3/3 as I operate the three position Auxillary switch....but I never get a message for mode 1/3
change mode preset.JPG

In set-up mode on the Cycle Analyst I can see the three way Auxillary switch is being sensed as delivering different voltages as I go between settings I,I and III

voltages.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_20240113_140056325.jpg
    IMG_20240113_140056325.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240113_160344385.jpg
    IMG_20240113_160344385.jpg
    775.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240113_160340761.jpg
    IMG_20240113_160340761.jpg
    904.5 KB · Views: 2
The most likely thing is that the voltage on the aux input isn't being allowed to change to that required to activate preset 1. I don't recall if the resistive voltage divider on the switch uses the higher voltage or the lower one to do that, but whichever one it is is probably just not quite extreme enough to activate it.

Can you disconnect the digiaux switch to ensure it is not interfering?

Also, does the manual front panel selection work to change to preset 1?
"1. Hold the left button down on the CA3 and then tap the right button. Eachtap of the right button will cycle through to the next preset. Release thebuttons when you are at the desired preset."

Hi amberwolf,

I have tried dis-connecting the digiaux switch but then the 3 position Auxillary switch isn't sensed at all.

I have tried the manual front panel selection you suggested and I can get to a screen where it displays the current present ( 2/3 or 3/3 ) but it doesn't change it when I tap the right button regardless of it my starting point is preset 2/3 or 3/3.

Interestingly ( ? ) I have noticed that when the 3 position Auxillary is in the middle position ( II ) the preset that is shown is 3/3, then if I moved the 3 position Auxillary to the ( I ) position the display shows 2/3. I say interestingly because I would have expected...

Aux position I - present 1/3
Aux position II - preset 2/3
Aux position III - preset 3/3

but what I have is

Aux position I - 2/3
Aux position II - 3/3
Aux position III - no apparent preset

I wonder if its some kind of mapping of voltages to presets?

regards

james

I have tried dis-connecting the digiaux switch but then the 3 position Auxillary switch isn't sensed at all.
That must mean the aux switch is somehow wired thru the digiaux switch wiring in the harness, which makes it more complicated to troubleshoot.

I have tried the manual front panel selection you suggested and I can get to a screen where it displays the current present ( 2/3 or 3/3 ) but it doesn't change it when I tap the right button regardless of it my starting point is preset 2/3 or 3/3.
Is this with the aux input connected to the digiaux or aux switch? If those are not connected, the front panel presets should work normally. I'm not sure how they work with them connected (or if I would expect them to work...I guess I did expect it when I posted before, but it makes sense that it would only work if hte aux preset control is not connected)

Interestingly ( ? ) I have noticed that when the 3 position Auxillary is in the middle position ( II ) the preset that is shown is 3/3, then if I moved the 3 position Auxillary to the ( I ) position the display shows 2/3. I say interestingly because I would have expected...

Aux position I - present 1/3
Aux position II - preset 2/3
Aux position III - preset 3/3

but what I have is

Aux position I - 2/3
Aux position II - 3/3
Aux position III - no apparent preset
I would have the same expectations as you (even if 1 and 3 are swapped vs switch markings, you should still get 2 in the middle position and 1 and 3 at the outside positions).

Best guess is there is a miswire inside the switch. It uses a resistive voltage divider and the switch just connects different points on it to the aux in. I think the CA manual shows the wiring.

You can connect a potentiometer to the aux in (5v to one end of hte pot, aux in on middle, ground on other end of hte pot) and get the same result--at one extreme of the pot's turn you'll have preset 1 engaged, then as you turn it it will switch to preset 2 at some point, then at some point of further turning in the same direction preset 3 will engage.

I wonder if its some kind of mapping of voltages to presets?
Yes, presets are mapped to voltages. If the voltages presented to the aux input are not correct, the presets wont' engage as desired.

Or, if hte presets are mapped to different voltages than those provided by the switch, they won't engage as desired.

I think page 26 of the manual shows the stuff about this.

Back