Active pre-charge/inrush control

nicobie said:
Sure wish I could buy one of these that would switch 100V. A kit would work for me if it came with a bare circuit board.

I'm sick and tired of having to fix my large DC contactor every time some idiot flips the main switch without using the pre-charge button. :cry:
Did you see this one?:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=54225&hilit=+alan+b

Is there a way to lock out the contactor switch if the precharge hasn't been done? Relay + resistor might work in a crude way. Relay gets powered by the controller caps and won't pull in until precharge is done. Downside is you have a relay sucking power whenever it's on.

Hum, I seem to find my foot in my mouth.

The circuit has been working fine since last fall on 48v. I use it as my main On/Off switch. Wanting to use it on my 18s pack, I had to change some connectors. Simple enough. I still put them on wrong - swapped B- pack and B- controller. I changed them back and it works exactly as it should - no damage.

Great circuit Fechter, Thanks.

OK, good news. Yes, reversing those would make it stay on all the time and probably make the FETs get really hot under load.

Can one of these be used to stop controller sparking as well ? Would only need 1 FET to handle the charging current.

I want to build one of these for use with 30s LiPo using 4115 FETs for my Cromotor build. 200 amps means 20 FETs. Other component values don't change? Would a piece of aluminum flatbar be sufficient as heatsink? Something about 6" x 1.5" x 0.25"thick.

Photos of a 3 x 4110 build good for 60 amps.

Attachments

• Off precharge 3 x 4110 A.JPG
    Off precharge 3 x 4110 A.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 2,854
dawrench said:
Can one of these be used to stop controller sparking as well ?
??? that's the main reason to use them. as the topic says: active precharge. this circuit replaces the precharge resistor to avoid sparks. for more convenience an on/off switch was used.

Sorry Izeman, still not over my foot-in-mouth problem. Yes, you're 100% right and that's why I have them with a key switch as well.

What I meant to say was "stop charger sparking". I can leave the pack connected all the time now with secure On-Off and have a tap on the pack for the charger socket. It makes the bike less "science project" and more "engineered product" not having to fiddle with the pack connectors every ride.

The body diode in the FET allows the pack to suddenly charge the caps in the charger (spark). It would take back-to-back FETs to prevent this. Turning on the charger first will prevent sparking too. That's what I do.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408993205.397369.jpg
Sure! Here is the other side. I may install inside a box. Not sure.

nice layout Brake. how many amps are you going to push through them?
I have the same FETs (also 4pcs but without heat sink) and they never get hot - even at 120A peak (mainly 40-60A continuous during commute).

Awesome layout.

If it proves to be reliable, it might be worth potting the bottom in epoxy to make it water/vibration-proof.

Thanks guys. Madin, I must admit that I copied all of what you and Fechter had already worked on. All the components are basically the same ratings. So far I have run roughly 130 amps through at 84v. I wanted it to handle anything that the adappto max e could pull through it.

Fechter, great idea about the epoxy. I will look in to that. So far I couldn't be happier with the way it has worked so far. Just plug in the batteries and all. Then flip the switch and it powers up perfectly. Takes a few seconds to turn off and I can watch the voltage drain down before the display turns off.

Off to look for epoxy now. :)

Diamondback said:

Can anyone spot what I have done wrong?

When it was connected, everything was off; perfect. When I turned the switch on though, 2 fets blew.

All though the solder looks very close underneath, there wasnt any solder that had bridged.

sacko said:
Can anyone spot what I have done wrong?

When it was connected, everything was off; perfect. When I turned the switch on though, 2 fets blew.

All though the solder looks very close underneath, there wasnt any solder that had bridged.

Oh my, Photobucket causes my computer to crash in a bad way. :(

Anyway, the schematic you are using is a proven FET blower. Several members have tried it with the same results. Sometimes repeatedly.
I suggest using the version shown on page 6 of this thread.

As far as I can see you've done everything right. What voltage are you using and what value are the resistors?

I wasn't thinking when I did mine. The back-plane is connected to the middle leg, so you can lay them flat and get better spacing of the two power wires.. Looking at yours, you've soldered to the thin part of the leg, which will heat up and melt the solder. Much better to solder the thick part.

Here's mine:

Back