Adaptto Mini-E/Max-E Owner's Thread

Hey Everyone,

Does anyone know how to tell the adaptto which "number" your bms is?

There is a screen when setting up the adaptto that asks for the number on the back of the bms that i see written down in permanent marker, however i can not input any numbers on the screen.. when i push up/down/left/right arrow i can not input or save any info..

the adaptto is stuck on !BMS! Error

i've inputed all other info .. battery type.. high voltage cutt off// low voltage cutoff//.. bms is enabled also..
I've tripple checked all my bms to battery wiring is correct..

anyone have the same problem? any suggestions would help to try..., i'm trying to set this up for a friends bike

here is the part i'm a bit confused about

"Each expansion card should have your number. The new BMS expansion cards are numbered in order and are numbered from 1 to 7.
In the configuration of BMS (Channel A config) must specify how many cells which extension serves. The extension module may be either off (0 cells), or 2,3 or 4 to interrogate the cell.
Poll 1 cell expansion module can not. So if you have the last expansion module accounts for one cell, then the penultimate board takes another cell and 3-cell configuration is obtained on the second board and 2 on the latter."

The number on the back of the bms is "601"; how do i input the number?.. or am i'm confused :S

thanks
-steveo

steveo - This kind of sounds like you haven't setup the BMS 'Channel A' option, to say how many cells are attached to it. Have you gone throught that Adaptto Supplement?
:)

ccmdr said:
steveo - This kind of sounds like you haven't setup the BMS 'Channel A' option, to say how many cells are attached to it. Have you gone throught that Adaptto Supplement?

from what i believe yes!

i went into change a option and entered the following for a 18s pack;

1:4
2:4
3:4
4:4
5:2

all other number where set to 0

thanks
-steveo

I bought a domino throttle this week to use it with my Adaptto Mini-E. Very nice grip on first sight. Looks and feels like a 'real' motorbike throttle.

But again I have problems to make it work correctly on my bike (I never managed to adapt a Magura Grip to my controller without annoying jerking on full throttle).

When I soldered the Adaptto connector on the domino I wired it this way:
+5v brown to light blue
Gnd black to white
Blue to black
Since I have no regen (I am using a middrive kit) I did not connect both green wires and left this circuit open. Same with the white wire on the adaptto connector. Is this right?

When trying to calibrate the throttle on the controller I never got a good signal from it. When I am in calibration mode and start to turn the throttle, the controller shortly reacts. But after a few degrees of turning the numbers behind 'pos' and 'raw' do not change any longer. Only when I am close to 'full throttle' the controller reacts again but says that I turned too fast. I played with the upper and lower limits but it did not become better or when the lower limit is too high nothing happens at all.

Does anybody have an idea what could be wrong? Any help is appreciated because I am desperately trying to find a full grip throttle which works with my Adaptto. So far I have only found one half grip hall throttle which works without problems but feels like having a tennis ball in his hand :( .

Hi Brooklands,
I have never worked with a Magura or Domino throttle but I would do a check with a potentiometer as the input to the controller. I don't know if you have an old pot in your parts bin, from an old radio for example, but it would be a good check. Another alternative is if you have a variable power supply, you could send a variable voltage to the input of the controller (blue wire).
I think that the Adaptto expects a low-impedance signal there, so that means a pot of a value less than 5K, maybe 2K ohms. Of course, the best low-impedance signal comes from an "active" electronic part, like a Hall-effect sensor for example.

Personally, I use the full throttle that EM3EV sells, it has a Hall sensor in it and it works very well. It has a molded plastic grip that you can remove and then you're able to use any standard motorcycle rubber grip on it. The plastic tube that slides over the handlebar isn't quite long enough, so I have put a small length of another plastic tube inside my rubber grip, so the end of it is supported and doesn't drag on the handlebar.

@brooklands
domino throttle has superb performance with adaptto from my experience.

the micro switch on the throttle opens the circut, disabling the signal as a safety when it rolls closed.

i have:
adaptto brown - dom Green+blue
adaptto black - dom white
adaptto blue- dom black

currently working well.
so perhaps your green wires for switch need to be connected across the +5v for it to work.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62650&start=225&hilit=domino+wiring

steveo said:
ccmdr said:

from what i believe yes!

i went into change a option and entered the following for a 18s pack;

1:4
2:4
3:4
4:4
5:2

all other number where set to 0

thanks
-steveo

I had issues with !bms! sticking too-
try turning controller off, plugging the bms plug in again and reboot, or
try to select bms disabled, then un plug the bms and plug in again then enable bms.
something like that fixed it, was a while ago, no probs since.

btw, has anyone had any problems with the controller spontainiously flicking in and out of CHARGE mode mid ride :?:

the controller has been working for at least a year with no problems then this. i can still ride but as i pull up at the lights for example, stationary, it flicks in and out of charge mode. rolling forwards will get it back into BOOST if i want to take off. somewhat annoying.....
perhaps FW related, still on the ol'rc9c

Found this info regarding the domino throttle looks like you need 5v connected to one of the green wires

Potentiometer 12 VDC, max 40 VDC nominal
Micro switch max 2A / 24V

Handlebar tightening torque 1.5 to 1.7 Nm

AMP Tyco SUPERSEAL Connector

Blue: 5V
White: GND
Black: Sensor (Hall/Potenziometer)

1 Green has to be connected to 5V

e.g. for Adaptto:

Brown +5v 1x Green AND Blue
Black GND White
Blue wiper Black

White e-brake wiper/switch Green

ridethelightning said:
btw, has anyone had any problems with the controller spontainiously flicking in and out of CHARGE mode mid ride :?:

the controller has been working for at least a year with no problems then this. i can still ride but as i pull up at the lights for example, stationary, it flicks in and out of charge mode. rolling forwards will get it back into BOOST if i want to take off. somewhat annoying.....

I had this exact problem... im almost sure it was moisture related.

great to hear!
its well outta warranty so perhaps its time to pop it open and give it a clean with alcohol, then unlock it :twisted:
maybe ill try to just clean any salts/water residue from the display board first...
it did start after i rode in wet weather.

btw, did you get yours sorted or did it go away by itself?

ozman said:
Found this info regarding the domino throttle looks like you need 5v connected to one of the green wires

Potentiometer 12 VDC, max 40 VDC nominal
Micro switch max 2A / 24V

Handlebar tightening torque 1.5 to 1.7 Nm

AMP Tyco SUPERSEAL Connector

Blue: 5V
White: GND
Black: Sensor (Hall/Potenziometer)

1 Green has to be connected to 5V

e.g. for Adaptto:

Brown +5v 1x Green AND Blue
Black GND White
Blue wiper Black

White e-brake wiper/switch Green

Ok, thanks, guys,

This evening I will connect all wires (just in case...) and try if it works then.

ridethelightning said:
great to hear!
its well outta warranty so perhaps its time to pop it open and give it a clean with alcohol, then unlock it :twisted:
maybe ill try to just clean any salts/water residue from the display board first...

I was riding at the time in VERY wet conditions when I got the same fault as you.. peddle to get going again etc. Because the bike was so dirty and wet when I got back home I gave it a good clean left it dry then put dielectric grease on all connectors (phase halls etc etc) to try and aid insulation. it's been fine since then.

I do sometimes get the "protect" on start up if i don't use or charge it for a while, but a quick knock off and on then it's fine.. Have you had this niggle?

I think the display's water protection is pretty poor Have you modded yours in any way to help with this?

Jonboy said:
ridethelightning said:
great to hear!

I was riding at the time in VERY wet conditions when I got the same fault as you.. peddle to get going again etc. Because the bike was so dirty and wet when I got back home I gave it a good clean left it dry then put dielectric grease on all connectors (phase halls etc etc) to try and aid insulation. it's been fine since then.

I do sometimes get the "protect" on start up if i don't use or charge it for a while, but a quick knock off and on then it's fine.. Have you had this niggle?

I think the display's water protection is pretty poor Have you modded yours in any way to help with this?

I have the same issue. My solution is to disable the charge in the charge option for riding and enable it only for charging. I'm with RC7C firmware. I've never rode in wet conditions and the display never seen water over it.

brooklands said:
When I soldered the Adaptto connector on the domino I wired it this way:
+5v brown to light blue
Gnd black to white
Blue to black

The connections seem ok. Did you check the black 4 pins connector from the display? I had problems with it from the beginning and now it is tightened with blue loctite 243 on the screw to avoid loosing it while riding.
My domino green wires are connected to nothing.

Now I soldered everything like it should be, even the second green wire to the white wire of the connector. But same issue again. Absolutely nothing changed.

I am pretty sure that the connectors (on throttle and display) are ok because the controller works perfect with my hall throttle.

So maybe there is something wrong with the domino throttle. Does anybody have any values for the change of resistance between zero and full throttle? Maybe someone can test it with a multimeter on his domino...

ridethelightning said:

Yep, had this happen with the charge connectors get caked with moist mud. Probably allowing an electrical path to someplace it shouldn't. I have been meaning to take a snipped off XT150 connector and make a plug / cap from it when not charging. For my other bike with the controller inside the frame, never an issue.

Mammalian04 said:
ridethelightning said:

Yep, had this happen with the charge connectors get caked with moist mud. Probably allowing an electrical path to someplace it shouldn't. I have been meaning to take a snipped off XT150 connector and make a plug / cap from it when not charging. For my other bike with the controller inside the frame, never an issue.

What is worse is if you drive during the winter and get salt water in anything. It is easy for this to happen because they salt the streets and even a little water from melting snow mixed with salt mixed in will short anything it comes in contact with. The salt makes it much worse than just plain water. If it gets in the throttle it will short it and you may get full throttle response without even using the throttle. If it gets on the halls wires you will short them together.

With my Lyen controller shorting these things wasn't really a problem after it dried off but with the adappto you probably will get the !halls! error until you fix the resistor.

I replaced the R113 resistor and unfortunately the error Halls! is there. Anyone else have some idea's?
Halls signals are continuesly on 111 and H0. Hall voltage is 4,52V.

Boestin said:
I replaced the R113 resistor and unfortunately the error Halls! is there. Anyone else have some idea's?
Halls signals are continuesly on 111 and H0. Hall voltage is 4,52V.

Did you fix that trace? If you fixed that and still halls error then I would just send the controller back to adaptto at that point unless someone has something else you can check.

hey man :)
You're here like 24/7 to assist!

I wrote an email to Adaptto telling the story about opening the case and all. Also that I replaced R113 without any luck.
About the trace, I checked it and it doesn't go anywhere. Hence, I didn't fix it. For me it was just a quick solder, then checking if the resistor works, which it did.

I am convinced that the problem has to be within the controller. I could not see water trails and the controller was running on stock firmware. I'm really looking forward to their reaction and especially what caused it. The hope that I have is that Adaptto says something like: "Oh, we saw that you screwed up the trace line and you badly soldered the R113 resistor, but hey, R324 or whatever was actually causing it." or "We pay for the fix, since you are a valued customer"
But then again, it could go another direction :mrgreen:

I'll let you know.

Thanks.

brooklands said:
Now I soldered everything like it should be, even the second green wire to the white wire of the connector. But same issue again. Absolutely nothing changed.

I am pretty sure that the connectors (on throttle and display) are ok because the controller works perfect with my hall throttle.

So maybe there is something wrong with the domino throttle. Does anybody have any values for the change of resistance between zero and full throttle? Maybe someone can test it with a multimeter on his domino...

Today I tested the potentiometer myself.

When I measure the resistance between white (GND) and light blue (+5V) I get 4.95 kOhm. Specification says 5 kOhm +/-10%, so this should be ok.

Next I measured between white (GND) and nero (wiper) and twisted the grip from 0 to 100% and these were the results:
0% --> 0.02 kOhm (or in other words a very small resistance)
100% --> 4.95 kOhm (which means 100% of the resistance)

EDIT: I managed to do a second measurement with the throttle connected to the Adaptto. It was a bit difficult with only two hands but I was able to measure the voltage between GND and Wiper.
0% --> 0 V
100% --> 4.4 V
So this should be ok, too.

Both measurements were done on the bare wires ahead of the connector.

Any ideas why my controller does not see anything of this voltage?

brooklands said:
brooklands said:

Today I tested the potentiometer myself.

When I measure the resistance between white (GND) and light blue (+5V) I get 4.95 kOhm. Specification says 5 kOhm +/-10%, so this should be ok.

Next I measured between white (GND) and nero (wiper) and twisted the grip from 0 to 100% and these were the results:
0% --> 0.02 kOhm (or in other words a very small resistance)
100% --> 4.95 kOhm (which means 100% of the resistance)

EDIT: I managed to do a second measurement with the throttle connected to the Adaptto. It was a bit difficult with only two hands but I was able to measure the voltage between GND and Wiper.
0% --> 0 V
100% --> 4.4 V
So this should be ok, too.

Both measurements were done on the bare wires ahead of the connector.

Any ideas why my controller does not see anything of this voltage?

Try another throttle, if that does not work it could be a wire/connector issue to controller... The metal connector has to be firmly connected is what I remember.

brooklands said:
Sorry was a bit hasty. It seems everything works as it should be on the controller side...

I'm building a bigger battery and need to reinstall a card to my BMS. Pretty sure I need to put the 3 jumpers across . I'm not sure how to glue it back on. Hot glue?, epoxy?, any ideas? Can anyone set me straight. thnx

Back