Adding a wire connector to fardriver 72360. What wire thickness to use on phase wires?

I want to add connectors to my Fardriver 72360 controller. So i can easily remove it from the bike.
It says 360A phase amps and 190A line.
My question is does the phase wires actually carry that amount of current and so will i need connectors rated above 360A?
i will be running 55V. I appreciate any feedback .
Hfa7a41c32b82435795c9466c4ab9bf16z.jpg

Last edited:
If you have a certain amount of current programmed into it, then the wires for that part will carry that much current whenever the load is that high and your throttle commands that much current. ***

So...the connectors will need to handle that much as well. That's one reason why many of these size controllers will have bolt-on phase and battery posts, rather than wires coming from them to connectors. I'd recommend just using these, but if you have a real need to remove the controller quickly for whatever reason, or if you just prefer connectors, there's not many small options that can realistically sustain those currents, but some are smaller than others.

If you don't mind the huge size, Anderson's SB series are made in versions up to several hundred amps--they may take quite a bit of force to unplug, and are quite large. They're the only kind I've ever used that come in versions that can actually do this current (have handled some "bullets" years back that claimed to, but from their construction I doubt it), but others may come along with suggestions.

*** if you lower the current in the software setup, it won't take that much, but if you need that current to get the torque you are after, then you can't do that.

If you're never loading the system enough to draw that much current, then it won't take that much either, and you can lower it in the software as a precaution.

So...it depends on your intended usage whether you even need a controller as big as yours. For a motorcycle, sure...for a bicycle, not unless you're a cargo bike pulling huge loads, or some similar situation. ;)

Keep in mind that your battery must also handle the "line" current, and must do that continuously for as long as the load on the system is high enough to draw it. (and wiring between it and the controller must also handle it, as well as any BMS in the battery.

Also, I moved this out of Bicycle Mechanical and Structural (which isn't really for electrical stuff) to Motor Technology, where controller stuff is normaly discussed.

Thanks alot for you reply you have covered everything. Thank you.
"If you don't mind the huge size, Anderson's SB series are made in versions up to several hundred amps--they may take quite a bit of force to unplug, and are quite large"
i actually started laughing when reading this!
But yes, its as i thought and yes i need all that torque. i will have to go check out those connectors and see just how big they are.
Thanks again. i will come to a decision now
(y)

"That's one reason why many of these size controllers will have bolt-on phase and battery posts, rather than wires coming from them to connectors"
Gotya, makes alot of sense. 😅

"If you don't mind the huge size, Anderson's SB series are made in versions up to several hundred amps--they may take quite a bit of force to unplug, and are quite large"
i actually started laughing when reading this!
But yes, its as i thought and yes i need all that torque. i will have to go check out those connectors and see just how big they are.

These are the SB50, two pins each, that I use for battery connectors on my SB Cruiser. IIRC they're good for 120A but can't recal if that's continuous or peak. The much bigger blue one in the background of hte first pic, and middle of the second, is IIRC the SB120 that's good for 240A: (see the page linked above for actual specs and sizes)
1710819895980.png 1710820072029.png

Random giant anderson(-like, not sure it's genuine) picture from da intarwebz
1710820345596.png

They do make 3-pin housings of some of the sizes, like this SB175, which would make your phase connections a bit easier:
1710820712502.png

Here's one of several "connectors" threads here on ES with various data

i saw a video on the 350A version:oop:. i think im going to use a connector for the line and just unbolt the phase connectors as needed.

The 350A are the peak value of the sine wave , resulting in 250A effective current, but still no small connector.
You could try it with a QS10 style connector or 10mm gold plated bullet plugs or with a combination of both.
10mm single bullet blugs
QS10

The 350A are the peak value of the sine wave , resulting in 250A effective current, but still no small connector.
You could try it with a QS10 style connector or 10mm gold plated bullet plugs or with a combination of both.
10mm single bullet blugs
QS1
Ah very interesting, could you put me in the right direction to learn more about this.
and thanks for the connector links and suggestions. (y)

Here The measurement from my old Sabvoton SVMC72150 150A line and 350A phase current.
The reading on the scope meter shows 253A and that is the effective current.
The peak current is 358A. peak current / (sqrt2)= effective current.
The scale division is 100A and the sine wave peaks at 3.5.

I also measured my ND72680, which was spot on. I measured 480A effective, which is equal to a sine wave with 680A peak.
They also advertise the peak value of the sine wave, but the phone app shows the effective current, that is why some people say the controller give only 70% of its rated current.
I know only from Sevcon that they have the effective current in the datasheets.

Attachments

• Phase current measurment SVMC72150.jpg
    Phase current measurment SVMC72150.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back